Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adding a new dog to family

BabyJessy
December 10th, 2006, 12:07 AM
We have a 2-year old female Pom who is kind of dominant and doesn't really like children (we don't have any). However, she enjoys playing with other dogs and since we are having so much fun with her in our lives, we are considering adopting another Pom or small dog. How can we know if this will be the right move and that she will enjoy having a friend 24/7? I have been told that perhaps a submissive or neutral male would be best since she's a little bossy. I could never return a dog or give it away - I am in it for the long haul - so I want to get as much info as possible before making the decision.

Any good advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

rainbow
December 10th, 2006, 12:32 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your little girl. :dog:

I would go to a rescue or shelter that evaluates their dogs before adopting them out. That way you will know that he/she gets along with other dogs. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

LynLyn
December 10th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I've seen people take their dogs to the shelter and let their dogs choose a playmate, you might want to try that.

TeriM
December 10th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Generally a male/female combination is best. I would consider contacting some local rescues. They often have foster animals and can tell you some history of how the animal interacts (ie good/bad with dogs/cats/kids etc). You can let the animals meet before making the final decision. She is young and likes other dogs so should be fairly open to a new playmate

OntarioGreys
December 10th, 2006, 09:01 AM
One method is to foster with intent for a rescue group, this way you can test the dog right in your home, if it does work out well, you can then proceed to adopt, if not the commitment is not long term just temporary till the dog getrs placed, you are then helping the rescue to evaluate the dog has how it gets along with other dogs, can it be left alone, does it bark a lot, is it food possessive, is it comfortable with crating, testing how well it is housetrained, does it like going for walks, what it personality is like, that assessment will then help the rescue find the ideal home for the dog, then you can either try another foster dog to see if it is a better match or you may decide that adding another dog is not the best thing, this does give you a way to see how your dog enjoys having a another dog on her territory, it also allows you to get a feel what it is like having a second dog in your home before having to make a permanent commitment.

BabyJessy
December 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks so much for the advice - - I have been wanting to do something "good" in regards to homeless dogs, and occasionally donating money hasn't felt enough. I think that fostering a small dog would accomplish two goals - 1) I could finally see how my dog acts around this new dog and make a decision about adding another to our family permanently and 2) I would be helping out the homeless dog and the shelter. At worst, it doesn't work out but the dog goes on to be adopted by a loving family. It's a great idea.

This is our baby.....

:o

OntarioGreys
December 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM
What a beauty, I love her markings :D

BabyJessy
December 10th, 2006, 06:11 PM
She's a Pom/Lhasa mixed breed. It was love at first sight (see baby picture below). She had the mischievous "dirty face"!

By the way, what would be normal, desirable behaviour between two dogs and what would be undesirable (when looking to adopt another)? Should they want to sleep/relax near each other? Is it normal for one to lightly growl and take a warning bite at the other when it's "enough"? Jessy does this with younger dogs that are jumping on her and she's fed up of playing. Also, what is meal time like with two dogs? I guess they should each have their own bowls?

Are there any books out there on having more than one dog? I can't find any...

Questions, many questions.....:pawprint:

Marshmallow
December 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
She is beautiful BabyJessie. I suggest going to a local shelter/rescue and meeting a few dogs with her. Ultimately letting her pick out the dog.

A good rescue would be willing to work with you. Temporarily fostering is a great idea too, if it works out make it permanent. If not, you helped save a life just like Ontario Greys said.

TeriM
December 11th, 2006, 12:41 AM
What a cutie. Yes, meal time should definately involve two bowls and preferaby two seperate rooms until you are sure that neither dog is food agressive. While some posturing is acceptable between the two dogs make sure it is not to agressive. It is best for the dogs to meet on a neutral territory (local park etc) for the initial introduction. Sleeping/relaxing together is something that would come as they grow comfortable with each other and become friends but needs to happen on their terms and not be forced. You could also search the forums for identifying the alpha dog in the relationship and how you should act to work with that situation.