Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Using Conditioner on Collies -- Advice?

brandynva
December 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Ok, so I'm learning all new tips and tricks for grooming collies, as I've never owned one before. We had one growing up, but my parents never did anything with him. I read somewhere that using conditioner is good for their coats, makes them softer and easier to groom. Anybody ever try it, or have any advice? Also, she seems to get smelly around her area where she urinates. Does anybody trim that area to keep it so it's not so furry? That dog has fur EVERYWHERE! Lots of it. :D We sure are having fun with her. Anyway, thanks in advance for your words of advice.

muckypup
December 9th, 2006, 07:57 PM
You should use conditioner on a Collie. Brushing the conditioner threw the coat, gently, in the tub is good. Itís like a lubricant and the loose undercoat will slide out more easily.
I would also use a hemectant on her coat when damp or dry. I like Best Shot Ultra Vitalizing Mist.
You can either clip her sanitary area or use pet wipes or a damp cloth.
If you plan on grooming her yourself I would get a velocity dryer to help blow out dead coat and dirt. You can use the velocity dryer to actually dry her after a bath or just when youíre brushing her when her coat is dry. You can get one for about $200 or $300 but you can use it on all your dogs and it will last forever.

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I condition my doggies with "Buddy Rinse" from cloudstar. Even with shorthaired doggies, it makes a significant difference, IMO.:o

brandynva
December 9th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Prin, where would I find this conditioner? Online or in a store? This is really new to me!

To be honest I will not be spending $200-$300 for a doggie blowdryer. We do have a groomer down the street and I need to call her and ask her how much it is to do grooming. I think if I do regular baths and take the dog there periodically for a really good groom that would be sufficient. I will have to try the pet wipes for her peepee area and see if that helps the scent. I know she is marking in the backyard and I'm hoping when she is spayed that will stop. Most of her doggy odor is that.

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I just got mine at the holistic dog food store...:o

brandynva
December 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I just got mine at the holistic dog food store...:o

Hmm. I don't think we have one of those. We DO have a ma and pa pet store that carries unique stuff. I will look there. Petsmart seems way overpriced on their stuff.

mummummum
December 9th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Declan just got "the beauty treatments" the other day and I'm happy with the results. Restoring his coat will be a long process though as he was shaved and that has pretty much destroyed any soft, feathering he had on his hiney. I got some Mane & Tail leave-in conditioner ($8 or $9 a jar I think)which I left in for the day then "rinsed" out with Mane & Tail De-Tangler ($12 or so a bottle I think) The only thing you might watch is whether there's a "Hey that's tasty!" factor. I also add salmon oil capsules to their food.

OntarioGreys
December 9th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Since you are in the US, your can try this site for conditioners, just look under grooming

http://www.petedge.com/

Angies Man
December 10th, 2006, 01:31 AM
We do have a groomer down the street and I need to call her and ask her how much it is to do grooming. I think if I do regular baths and take the dog there periodically for a really good groom that would be sufficient.

I would have her groomed regularly. A good groomer will keep your collie clean and will remove matted hair. She (or rarely he) will clean and clip around genitals and anus, and will express anal glands as necessary. And they do the nails--something I hate to do.

A word about good groomers (from a Standard Poodle owner): I pick my groomers for how they interact with my dog, not as much for their artistic ability. GENTLE is the watchword when picking a groomer--otherwise, the dog gets traumatized and may get bitey with groomers. Also, never allow a groomer to use a warming box to dry your dog--blow dry only! Warming boxes have been known to kill dogs with too much heat.

I like going back to the same groomer time after time. Dogs are creatures of routine, and they get to know their groomer & enjoy the interaction.

Btw, grooming isn't just for frou frou dogs like Standard Poodles (they are not frou frou, btw.) Among the larger breeds, English Sheepdogs and others really benefit from a cleanup and a utility clip.

MyBirdIsEvil
December 10th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I read somewhere that using conditioner is good for their coats, makes them softer and easier to groom.

For a rough collie you shouldn't be using a rinse out conditioner, it will make the coat too soft and fluffy and will actually be harder to brush than if you hadn't used any conditioner at all.
You want to find a spray in conditioner and use that while brushing instead. It will make the coat shiny and easier to brush, but won't leave it looking dull and fluffy. A rough collie isn't supposed to have dull fluffy fur, hence the name "rough". The fur should be shiny and fairly coarse, using a spray in conditioner will help with that.

You should be brushing the dogs coat every day, it will GREATLY reduce the time you spend grooming. If you only brush every week, or every few days she'll start to form knots around her ears, forelegs, and the fur on her hind end, and you'll have to spend the time getting them out. If you brush for just 5 minutes every day to prevent the knots you'll be much better off.
You should have a rake for her undercoat, a slicker brush for mats, and a pin brush (normal run of the mill looking plastic brush) to smooth and brush the coat out. Every day run the rake over her to find any knots and get them out, then use the slicker, then the normal brush. This shouldn't take long if you keep up with it every day and remove knots before they set.
ALWAYS get any knots or mats out before you bathe. Bathing without brushing and checking for knots will tighten any knots and then they'll be MUCH harder to get out.
You shouldn't need any special conditioners or anything otherwise, just a good diet and coat maintenece. Collies were originally bred to have rough coats and easily shed dirt and have low maintenece coats (for along haired breed), so special conditioners and shampoos are just a bit overkill.

Honestly I'm not real happy with any of the groomers we've tried. They tend to go a bit overkill with the conditioning and brushing, and Royce doesn't ever come out with the correct looking collie coat. I think they're more used to doing poodles and similar dogs who have completely different coats.
If you can find a groomer that actually knows how to do collies, that would probably be good as it is definately much more convenient.

Also, she seems to get smelly around her area where she urinates. Does anybody trim that area to keep it so it's not so furry?

Royce never has a problem with that. I suppose you could very carefully trim so fur off, but it might end up looking a bit funny. Collies have an undercoat so when you trim fur it doesn't look all nice and flat like a long haired dog witha single coat.

muckypup
December 10th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Prin, where would I find this conditioner? Online or in a store? This is really new to me!

To be honest I will not be spending $200-$300 for a doggie blowdryer. We do have a groomer down the street and I need to call her and ask her how much it is to do grooming.

Not to push it but just to give you an idea, a Collies groom in my area goes for about $70-90, if you were to take your dog in regularly every 8 weeks it wouldn't be very long before the velocity dryer is paid off since removal of dead coat takes up the most amount of time in a Collie groom.

I would find a good breeder, volunteer your help with grooming their dogs for a day and get tips and tricks for grooming your breed. You could also talk to Collie people at shows, you can ask them what they are doing to maintain the coat, what tools and what products they use etc...

There are also grooming discussion boards you could ask for help.

Lise
December 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I use a blower on Nell,it's the best thing on undercoat.There is no magic solution to maintaining a collie coat I spend a minimum of three hours a week on Nell's coat more when it's shedding season.Use a good shampoo and make sure you remove all tangles before you start a bath,use a curry comb to work in the lather and help remove dead coat,I wouldn't use a conditioner since the coat is not supposed to be soft,but you can use a detangler in spray bottle to help with any stubborn tangles.I use a pin brush,a rake and a comb on Nell.Make sure you get between legs under arms all those hard to get to spots that get tangles.A grooming table is really useful.We also add Artic vigor and kelp to her food which is good for the skin and coat.Would love to see you collie

t.pettet
December 11th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Unless you want a greasy, oily texture to the coat then stay from conditioners and get every ounce of undercoat out before you bathe her otherwise it will tighten and be very uncomfortable for the dog. Do not brush the coat when its wet (a wide tooth comb is preferable) as this will cause splitting and breakage of the hair. Once she's had her private area trimmed to a maintainable length, baby powder can be used to keep the area dry. I apply it daily to my females and rub off excess with rough towel. Since proper grooming of collies is a lengthy undertaking, why not work on one specific area per day (1 hr.) until she's mat and undercoat free and ready to bathe. I love collies and the great results you can get from proper maintenance.