Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sad day, ovarian cancer

Esaunders
December 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Its a sad day in my home.

I took Maddie to the vet regarding a possible UTI. During the exam the vet found lumps on each side that appear to be bi-lateral ovarian tumors.

So we have some decisions to make. Does anyone have any experience with the outlook when cancer is found on both sides? I'm going to be deciding whether it is in her best interest to have the exploratory surgery. If the odds are most likely that there is already further spread of the cancer, with the most likely location being the lungs, it may be better to let her be and give her the best life possible in the time she has.

~michelle~
December 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
i am so sorry i will pray for your little girl. sorry i have no advice, only condolences

Frenchy
December 9th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I don't have any advice , not familiar with that type of cancer but I am so sorry,she is such a young dog :( But I'm sure there's a solution, they can take it out can they?

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Are they positive the tumors would be cancerous and not, say, some sort of cyst? If cancer, would a lung xray show any further spread?

:grouphug: I've got no advice...just heartfelt empathy... These decisions are so hard... :fingerscr

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I'm so sorry. Can they remove it all? My grandmother had it and that's what they did...:o

technodoll
December 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM
the vet found lumps on each side that appear to be bi-lateral ovarian tumors

since they cannot diagnose without actually taking a biopsy, can you have that done first?... i'm sorry your girl is going through this. it was my understanding that when a bitch is spayed they take everything out, hence reducing or eliminating chances for such cancers. i'm not aware of maddie's history though... just :pray: it's not cancer. please let us know what you decide for maddie.

Esaunders
December 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Maddy is my beloved cat that I've had since the first month I moved to Ontario. (almost 10 years ago)

When I got her from the shelter, I had a vet check her over shortly after. He couldn't tell if she had been spayed or not. As a strictly indoor cat & a tiny one at that I never felt comfortable with having her go through surgery just to find out. I don't take surgery lightly & never have.

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 06:53 PM
So sorry to hear about Maddy. I also wonder if a biopsy would help to see if the tumours are malignant. If it is cancer then also an xray to see if it has spread further. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

technodoll
December 9th, 2006, 06:55 PM
oh i'm sorry for the misunderstanding... for sure at 10 years old, any surgery cannot be taken lightly... sending prayers your way for a happy resolution... and no pain for maddie. :pray:

heyjude11
December 9th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Sorry I have no advice to offer either. I will keep Maddie in my thoughts and prayers.

TeriM
December 10th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Fingers and paws crossed :fingerscr for Maddie. I think your vet is the best one to give you this advice. Good luck with an awful decision.

Esaunders
December 11th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Of course I'm talking to my vet on this one, but even he has been pretty guarded on talking about options. The topics of spread to the lungs/rest of abdomen & euthanasia came up very quickly. The bilateral aspect is not good, I know that already & the vet has confirmed as much.

That's a big huge flashing sign. The normal first response of a vet for a tumor is to talk biopsy and looking at things.

At this point, I'm waiting for the blood test profile to come back. (Later today) That's going to be the first thing to look at. Then, finish the antibiotic series for the UTI to get her feeling better.

The upside is that she isn't suffering from it. The UTI has her feeling pretty depressed but the antibiotics will start to kick in soon and I'm hand feeding her cheddar and tuna do she should come around soon on that front. I'll probably roast some chicken for her tonight to whet her appetite. (spoiled much?)

Still ... pretty depressed though. :sad:

jawert1
December 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM
My thoughts are with you ESaunders, I know you'll do what's best, as hard as that may be :grouphug:

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM
:grouphug: I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Ovarian cancer is the worst.:sad:

Esaunders
December 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Dammit, dammit, dammit ... blood tests are back.

White blood cell counts are high, really high with some of the wb cells going toxic. There's the confirmation of the infection.

Come to find out the kidney values are way off too. Urea is 2.5 times higher than the normal range. ( ... a little high, says the vet)

So, lets see. High wbc count, high kidney values PLUS the two solid abdominal masses that are in the same spot as the ovaries and aren't attached to the kidneys. (oh and the weight loss... down from 7.2 to 5.6 lbs) It just gets better & better.

Poor little girl.

Hunter's_owner
December 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Oh that is soooo sad. :grouphug: My thoughts are with you:sad:

Prin
December 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I'm so sorry.:grouphug:

technodoll
December 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM
oh... poor maddie... i'm so sorry to hear this... what did the vet advise to do, if anything? :grouphug:

Esaunders
December 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM
So far, the guarded recommendation is spay/biopsy surgery to remove the growths. They are putting together a surgical quote.

The real questions come up in 2 days. I need to see her perk up from the antibiotics within the next 2 days or its going to be really serious. She started acting depressed on friday which prompted the saturday morning trip to the vet. She's been pretty pretty sluggish on the food/water intake since Sat. but the antibiotics have only had 48ish hours to kick in.

Also, the high kidney readings only occur after kidney function is down below the 30% mark.

So I have to ask myself if I want to put my tiny little, kidney compromised, infection fighting cat through surgery?

technodoll
December 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
So I have to ask myself if I want to put my tiny little, kidney compromised, infection fighting cat through surgery?

and that is indeed the roughest question of all... :( i guess if the outcome is a guaranteed better quality of life, yes... but can such a guarantee be made? :pray:

Esaunders
December 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM
... especially considering that the cancer ISN'T the thing bothering her right now. The infection & kidney issue combined with the reduced food & water intake is far more critical to her quality of life.

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM
So sorry to hear what you and Maddie are now having to go through. :grouphug:

Frenchy
December 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I'm so sorry too. :sad: It is a tough decision. Trust your vet and ask a lot of questions. good luck. :grouphug:

cpietra16
December 12th, 2006, 06:43 AM
I am so sorry you and Maddie have to go through this...My thoughts are with you both:pray: :fingerscr

Snooky'sMom
December 12th, 2006, 06:59 AM
ESaunders, so sorry to hear about your kitty. I lost a cat to cancer but he wasn't diagnosed until the very end when he was dying. If I was to do it again, I would have reduced his medication and followed a more natural plan with homeopathic and naturopathic treatments along with a homemade diet. There are some homeopathic vets here in Ontario. It might be worth it to look into.

I'll say a prayer for your little kitty.

chico2
December 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM
ESaunders,sorry to hear about beautiful little Maddie:sad:
I cannot suggest what you should do,cancer is an ugly disease,if it has already spread to other organs,i think you know what is best for her..
To this day,I regret keeping my Peppi(surgery not an option) with me,until one day he could not take it anymore:sad:
It seems you have a good honest vet,who tells it like it is,your desicion will be a difficult one either way,but it will be made out of your love for Maddie:love: