Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ticked off!

miss_niki6
March 6th, 2004, 08:15 PM
My dog was shaking as I had posted about a week ago I got advice and it was good advice. So I took her to the vet, only to spend and arm and a leg to find out there is nothing wrong with my dog!!!!
Okay I realize better safe than sorry, right?
But I am a person off limited means and I think this money would have been better spent else where! I mean where do you draw the line, you love your pet and want to care for them somthing goes wrong and you have to spend a small fortune to find out what the problem is and god forbid there is a problem, they tap you for another!
So to all pet owners who love their pets dearly you are not a bad person if you don't take your sick animal in and it passes away, don't feel like you have to intervine with natural selection and save the poor soal! It is after all an animal and you can take comfort in the fact that while they were alive you gave them a good life full of love!
My dog is not spayed and I have no intensions to do so! she has never been bread and never will be, as I too am concerned about the worlds pet over population dilema. as for her chances of developing cancer? every day that my breast's are attached to me I am at risk off developing breast cancer but you don't see me going to get them lopped off!!!!!
I love my dog! thank you for letting me get this off my chest!

chico2
March 7th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Miss Niki.
All I can say to you is,we humans go for breast-exams,stop doing "bad"things like drinking,smoking,overeating etc...and other things to try to prevent cancer from developing,spaying your dog will lessen her chances of getting cancer,does she not deserve that chance?
$150 worth of prevention can save $1.000 in treatment also she will be a generally happier,healthier dog.

Carina
March 7th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I can understand not getting treatment for a dog if the cost is truly out of reach...like bilateral hip replacement at about $5000.
In the real world, of course some treatments are just out of reach and it would be kinder to put a dog to sleep rather than leave it untreated & in pain until it dies.

But I cannot understand not spaying a bitch - there are proven benefits, the dog will have an almost zero chance of mammary cancer if spayed early and a zero chance of pyometra. Not to mention the stress every time she goes in heat. Wouldn't you feel terrible if your dog died a painful death at an early age ONLY because you decided it wasn't convenient to YOU to spend $100 or so to get her spayed?

Quite frankly I think you are a bad dog owner if you refuse to get medical treatment for a dog & instead just sit & watch as it dies - particularly since most fatal illnesses don't happen all of a sudden, the animal could be in agony for weeks or months. How can this be humane or good?? That would be cruel beyond belief.
And nobody who "loves their pets dearly" would allow this. Nobody.

For the sake of argument if I had to spend $25,000 to save a dog, that would be out of my reach & I would elect to euthanise the dog. But I certainly wouldn't feel good about it, just accept the reality. But if one of my animals needs treatment I would do whatever I could withinn reason - beg, borrow, go without, sell my second car - in order to do so.

Do you take no reasonable care of yourself? If you were in severe pain, would you not go to the doctor? Or do you think getting annual pap smears, mammograms & such a complete waste of time & money?

chico2
March 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Well said Carina..and I agree,I love my cats and do everything I can to give them a good healthy life and it costs $$.
In letting a cat/dog be part of our lives, we know it will cost money to care for them and there will be a time where we have to make a heart-wrenching choice,but a $100 prevention is worth every penny.
Unfortunately there are too many pet-owners who"love"their animals,but only as long as it does not touch their pocket-book.

amaruq
March 7th, 2004, 09:12 AM
I agree with both of you. i have been told I'm completely insane for spending 4000.00 on Motzi and 2000.00 on Liz. What the heck can you do. I would lay down my life for all my babies!

But I can understand the frustration of not getting an answer for a problem.

There is no excuse thought for not getting a dog spayed or neutered.

chico2
March 7th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I don't how you feel,or what your experiences have been..but in almost all the cases I know of where a dog/cat have had a very serious illness,gets chemo or invasive surgery,unlike humans they do many times not recover and die shortly after.
Maybe the trauma is too much for them to handle,after all we cannot tell them why they are being hurt in that way
:(
A girlfriend of mine,divorced,self supportive spent $6.000 she did not have,on trying to save her old dog,one thing after the other went wrong and she eventually died at home in pool of blood from internal bleeding.It was horrible both for the dog and the owner.Why do some vets encourage surgery,when they almost certainly know the outcome?
I know I might have done the same as Julie(my friend)but there has to be a point where enough is enough and you have to let go.....

chico2
March 7th, 2004, 10:03 AM
and Amaruq,don't get me wrong,I too would spend whatever it takes to save my kitties as long as their chance of recovery is reasonable.

Luba
March 7th, 2004, 12:31 PM
What gives here? Are you feeling guilt over something and using excuses to make yourself feel better? Give it up!!

Many of us are of limited means as you so indicate. BUT you took the responsibility of caring for your pet for the entirety of its life. You should have thought of not wanting to fork out $$ before you got the dog.

When my dog was sick we spent THOUSANDS on him because he deserved the opportunity to have medicine do all they could to help him , without putting him in jeopardy or carrying on treatment that would leave him too ill to enjoy life.

In the long run, surgery found his tumour were cancerous and inoperable. THEN AND ONLY THEN did we make the decision that he was better off not suffering the pain and depression of not having a fulfilling life.

I wonder if you didn't have medical coverage, and had a child would you make the child suffer if you didn't have money.

Spay and neuter fee's FYI are NOT expensive so there is NO excuse. You aren't concerned about over population or you wouldn't have said such an ignorant thing.

So to all pet owners who love their pets dearly you are not a bad person if you don't take your sick animal in and it passes away

And YES to me if you don't get treatment and allow your pet to SUFFER in pain and agony you ARE a selfish self centred person.

I suppose it's more important to buy your $5.00 cup of Starbucks every morning.

And btw sounds like you LOVE your dog as long as your dog remains healthy. Then ...who cares...just let it die and you'll go get another one right!!

mona_b
March 7th, 2004, 12:36 PM
OMG OMG OMG

Did I read that right?

You are not a bad pet owner if you don't take your sick animal to the vet and it dies?...And it's just an animal?And you love your dog?

WTF?.....Now I'm pissed.

To me,you are a disgusting pet owner if you don't do this.

If she thinks pap smears are a waste of time I got news for her.

That's how I found out about my cervical cancer 8 years ago.If I didn't get my yearly I could be dead right now.Where would THAT leave my daughter?

Don't worry guys,I'm fine:D

Lucky Rescue
March 7th, 2004, 01:35 PM
So to all pet owners who love their pets dearly you are not a bad person if you don't take your sick animal in and it passes away

Yes, this does make you a bad person. Not only that, but in many places it's illegal to withhold medical care from a sick and suffering animal, so you could be charged with cruelty if this becomes known.

I hope you are never lying somewhere suffering, and no one will take you to the doctor, and decide that they will let nature run it's course.:mad:

Luba
March 7th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Oh yea you're the one that posted this:

Up untill now she has been healthy but I started noticing she shivers lots at first I thought it was the cold but as it grows warmer I realize somthing is wrong. She shakes all day and it is getting worse no other symptoms exist, I can see no cause for it no changes in diet, excersize or environment. She is eating but not drinking as much, she spends a few days a week home alone for a long period of time, inside. She does not mess on the floor, could this be a problem?
Why is she shaking so bad? please help we don't see the vet for a few days yet!

And you're UPSET that you're dog is okay?
So if you spent an arm and a leg, you still have another arm and leg for next time!

LMAO

Catt31
March 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
What the f*#@ is wrong with some people???? Sheesh!!!!!! I'm getting married in less than a year, we're of "limited means" too, but we just rescued a dog and spent at least ONE arm to make him happy and healthy!! I will eat Ichiban soup and Kraft Dinner if I have to so all my creatures are safe, healthy and happy!! INCLUDING my lizards!!! They too deserve a good life!! I have 12 pets...... and I would spend every last penny to help them!!

People like that make me nauseous...yes you ARE a bad owner...you shouldn't be an owner AT ALL with an attitude like that! (SLAPS upside the head!! ) Get a grip!!

P.S. notice that "good dog owner" never responded to anyone's posts?? Hmmmmmm, wonder why!!!!!! hehehe

Jake
March 8th, 2004, 06:48 AM
I can understand that everyone has to make the decision of where to draw the line when it comes to extraordinary care for there pets. (ie: the vet had told me that my last dog might need back surgery at the age of 11) I might have to think about that but not only for money reasons - did I really want to put him through that? Luckily the steroids worked and we didn't need to make that decision. But as for spaying or neutering, that is just common sense in this day and age. There are groups here that offer low cost spay and neuter. Do some research - your breast may not be lopped off but you probably get mammograms!!!!!

Carina
March 8th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Jake
your breast may not be lopped off but you probably get mammograms!!!!!

Heehee.
When I read the OPs post I thought, well, if you cut your head off you'll never get a headache... :D

chico2
March 8th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Carina,I just got my morning smile,thank's:D :p :) :eek:

amaruq
March 8th, 2004, 09:08 AM
I like the headache comment lol!

Chico I agree with you that there are times when there isn't enough money to help the animal. It's hard to choose when that is....

Luba
March 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM
What about when you get menstrual cramps, what can you lop off then?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Lucky Rescue
March 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Why do some vets encourage surgery,when they almost certainly know the outcome?

Yesterday I went to visit someone I met through the rescue network.

She has a very large breed dog who is 16 years old (!!!) and can barely walk. The dog probably has a couple months to live at the most.

So why does her vet have her giving this dog vaccinations and heartworm meds?? Gee,wonder what the reason$$$$ are.:mad:

I was disgusted and told her she was being soaked, and that the dog would die of old age LONG before heartworms or other illness could kill him.

I stopped heartworm meds for my own dog when he was 11, for the reasons stated above. My vet looked a little sheepish and said yes, there was no reason to do it anymore.

We must use common sense. When I had a cat with leukemia, I turned down all treatments offered. I knew they were futile, as this illness is 100% fatal, and would just increase my cat's suffering. People must do some research on their own, as well as listen to their vet.

chico2
March 8th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Lucky,that is exactly what I meant,in trying to explain how I felt,it might have sounded like I would not help my cats if they were sick and it would cost a lot.
Anybody who knows me,also know I would go to any lenght to keep them healthy,but there are times when mercy is the best medicin.
Many vets would encourage surgery no matter what,just to make big $$$ and yes,we have to use our heads and our love for our animals to make desicions.
My Chico was traumatized just from having his teeth cleaned,he is now limping,probably from the IV and I have to keep an eye on it..and take him back to the vet tomorrow.
I looked up my vet-bills and Rocky had his teeth done in 2001 and it cost $150+tax,Chico's bill was $320 incl tax,so it has gone up by half in 3 yrs...I just wonder? How much do you pay for teethcleaning ?

Luba
March 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Hmmm good question...about the teeth cleaning

Rusty had to have surgery so I got them to do the teeth cleaning while he was out already so the cost wasn't that much as I recall.

I haven't had to have it done recently though, that was about five years ago so I'm not so sure.

Jake
March 8th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I agree - I had a hamster (he was 2 and was not well at the time) and the vet wanted to do surgery to remove some back teeth - to the tune of $300.00 - sometimes you need to use your head as well as your heart

chico2
March 8th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Jake,a hamster?They are cute little guys,Vinnie wants one to play with,but $300 I would have to think about that one:D
Luba,I would think you could clean a dogs teeth yourself,I tried on my cats,that was a joke....ouch!!!
Anyway,my vet said every three years is ok,so I'll take one cat a year,that's not so bad.
Rocky has really clean teeth,but I think I'll have trouble with Vinnie,the same as with my other white cat Peppi(RIP),but I guess it's an individual thing,just like people..

Luba
March 8th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Under normal circumstances but he was so old and had some cleaning that a brush could not take care of, they needed to do a scraping.

chico2
March 8th, 2004, 05:30 PM
He was sooo sweet,even though you got adorable Sadie I bet you still miss him:(

Luba
March 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Anita I sure do!
Thats why I haven't yet changed my avatar on here yet! ;)

He was very special to me!!
Sadie is very much a part of our family now, and I tell her all about Rusty...she's probably tired of hearing about him HA HA!

deerclan
March 8th, 2004, 07:31 PM
miss_niki6- I would consider getting a second job or mabey tell the old man to get a second job. Im married with seven kids a dog,cat and bird and i would sell all my homes and properties just to see that any member of my family human or animal received the best medical care available.

I think you should give your head a shake and wake up to the real world. If you can't afford to look after them like you would your own flesh and blood then maybe you should not own a pet.

http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/trackers_world/

mona_b
March 8th, 2004, 07:36 PM
7 Kids?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Talk about being busy..........:p

Luba
March 8th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Hey deerclan nice seein u around again, what alias u been posting under lmaooooo

Karin
March 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Sorry Carina..still trying to navigate this forum/board.

I think my first message attempt was sent to you...all I can say is...

oop's, I'm sorry.

daisy18216
March 8th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Wow!!! How can someone be so selfish? well miss_niki6 how can you? It's people like you who get me not ticked off but P*ssed off!!!!

I have 3 small children 3 dogs and am in a VERY BITTER EXPENSIVE custody case. Do you see me b*tching about having to take ANY family member or pet to the hospital or vet, UMMMM NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and why you ask, b/c my dogs are just like kids to me. I love them just like my kids.

You don't want to spend the money to make sure you dog is ok, safe and healthy, then you know what miss_niki6 FIND A BETTER HOME FOR YOUR DOG, ONE WHERE IT WILL BE LOVED NO MATTER WHAT THE COST IS!!!!! APPARENTLY YOU RATHER THINK OF YOURSELF FIRST OVER YOU DOG.

MONEY IS THE ROOT TO ALL EVIL, JUST REMEMBER THAT MISS_NIKI6!!!

You don't want to love your dog and invest money in him when he needs to go to the vet, let me know and I'm sure I will and can find a LOVING home for him.

Like LR said if you know something is wrong w/your dog health wise and you refuse to get him the medical help, your liable for ANIMAL CRUELTY!!! That is a serious offense, then you'll have someone like me on your back day and night and making sure your taking care of your pooch.

Animals deserve the same treatment as you. You get sick you go to the doctors same goes for the pets.

I HATE SELFISH PEOPLE WHO ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY!!!!!!
all I can say to them is Wake the Frig up and get a life.

Karin
March 8th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Two years ago on March 6th, I came home from a partial right mastecomy. My choice, no radical. (My second Sx in two weeks) Ciara shoved her precious bone under my chin as I layed on the couch. She looked at me as if she was saying.."mom. have a good chew..it works for me." She is so protective of her bone bones.(no typo, that is the name for them) She gave that up for me!
I will not mention the guy she sent to the hospital Christmas Eve for trying to rip me out of my Blazer. Road rage..she was in the back ..tinted windows. Police report, hospital alert, job done..he did the same thing two weeks later and is serving time.

I will do anything possible for my dog..I even hate that word some times...she is a canine but I forget. I could not have a better friend.
Now, it is her turn. I will not have any more mammograms. My oncologist is upset to say the least. No more treatments. Forget that.
This is my opinion. I am allowed that. I live alone .
I DO stress getting a mammogram as prescribed by your doctor.
This is my choice and I am in the relay for life.
Geez I type too much!

Karin & Ciara

chico2
March 8th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Karin,you are one brave lady with one brave wonderful dog..
carpe diem

Karin
March 8th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks Chico.

I am still getting use to this board.

In my life I have killed thousands....I cried for every one. Later, I found myself drawn to no kill shelters. I loved the concept , but keeping a life alive to meet their fate anyway, a given. while taking away from the healthy with a chance to go on...to much.
I have seen animals grow up and live for 7 years in a cage, un adoptable because all they think about is escape! And that is all they do.
No kill shelters are not qualified for funding. The private sector is what they rely on.
Sorry, I get riled.

Spay & Neuter....there is no excuse.

Carina
March 9th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Karin

Spay & Neuter....there is no excuse.

Hear hear!
And welcome, Karin & Ciara. :)

chico2
March 9th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Karin. I ditto Carina's words.
I am not even going into why you say you killed thousands,I assume you worked at or owned a shelter.
As for our four-legged friends,yes,they are so much more than just cuddly and fun,they are our shoulder to cry on,our safety blanket when everyone else around you fails,total devotion and love no matter what and their value cannot be measured in dollars,be it a scraggly rescue or a purebred beauty,a cat or a dog..
Oh boy,am I getting sentimental..must be my age:o

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2004, 09:15 AM
I don't believe that ANY life is better than NO life. No-kill shelters, while striving to save every animal (we have one here) are sometimes not shelters at all, but concentration camps and warehouses for animals.

I have personally seen cats and dogs dying horrible and agonizing deaths, because these people do not believe in euthanization.

I personally believe an animal is better off dead than caged for life, or suffering to the last second with a terminal illness.

Karin, sorry to hear of the struggle you are going through.:(

daisy18216
March 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Karin, I agree you are one brave woman and you have a brave dog.

LR, I know of one no-kill shelter that if the dog is in agony and not getting better and is also taking a turn for the worst they will euth. It's not an easy decision for them as they are a no kill shelter but to better the dog or cat and give them peace they do that.

The dog I"m referring to is Angel. She was a Pit Bull. She wasn't handling the shelter life very good. She was stressed and very ill, they were hoping she would find a good home in time and might be able to save her. They even had her down as Urgent. She never got to go to a loving caringhome. for they euth her b/c she was in soo much agony. They said it was the only decision they could make and put her at peace so she wouldn't suffer anymore. They onlywanted the best for her, and with that tough decision theymade i think they did what was best for Angel.

RIP Angel.

divadually
March 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Let us throw this in another direction, what vet would give you even a hello in the hall of the movie theater for less than $150.00.
NON vets get you coming and going. Perform unneeded tests and charge you a fortune for nothing.

cmt489
March 9th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I am sorry that some people have had such bad experiences with vets.

I know of many vets that will examine and diagnose animals for less than $150.00. For instance, a secretary in our office who is a single mom of two kids and therefore of very limited means, had a cat accidently ingest a sewing needle and the emergency vet not only performed surgery, kept the cat on IV for several days, had multiple followup visits and intravenous antibiotics (the cat got an infection that, sadly, ultimately killed him) and in the end only charged her $500.00 - and this in the city of Vancouver.

One does have to remember, however, that vets, especially in large urban centres have extremely high overhead. Space, employees and equipment. This is not to mention the fixed costs of lab tests and drugs which I think many of us forget are expensive to the vet himself/herself. On the other hand, owners have tools such as insurance that were no available many years ago.

Medical treatment for people is not cheap but people do not refuse to have medical treatment done due to the cost (and I know, someone is going to respond that people receiving medical treatment is different from animals but that is a debate that I do not want to engage in at this time...) Unfortunately and fortunately, in Canada at least, the average person has been shielded from the real cost of medical treatment due to our medical system and, in my humble opinion, simply does not realise what they types of visits, tests and treatments cost. By comparison, veterinary treatment is much cheaper.

Having animals in a person's life is not a right - it is a privilege. Unless a person is sure that he/she can afford to take care of care of an animal's physical needs - both by feeding high quality food and providing proper medical treatment - then that person should not have a pet.

Oh, and by the way, I am not a vet nor do I have a vet in my family (although my parent's vet has become a close friend of the family but that is another story;) )

Michelle

daisy18216
March 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Michelle, I agree with you. as I used the Human medical and pet medical as an example.

You are absolutely right.

The main point to the story is If you don't want to spend the funds to make sure your animal is healthy and alright then you shouldn't have an animal at all!!

Luba
March 9th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Exactly Daisy!

chico2
March 9th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Except for the first post,I don't think anyone here would not seek treatment for their dog/cat.
We know right off the bat,vets cost money..and some times a lot.
I personally have not had any"bad"experience with a vet,ultimately it's your choice...
Some people are intimidated by the vet(I know one)and feel they migh not be considered good owners if they chose a different route from what the vet suggest.
One friend with a 10yr old labX put her through incredible surgery,only to see the dog ultimately bleed to death two days later...They had been torturing this poor old dog for more than a month with different treatments and a few thosand dollars later the dog died a horrific death..that's what we object too...

divadually
March 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM
I would never let an animal suffer, I am actually watching a 12 year old goat right now, very closely, it will be like losing a friend when it happens. However, I do have issue with vets who give shots, than of course 2 to 4 weeks later quite often a dog or a cat will have a reaction, the vet pulls blood and tells the owner the dog or cat has hepatitis, for the rest of the animals life it is on meds. HELLO, am I the only one who finds this a bit odd. The owner is told by the breeder go to another vet in two weeks and have blood work done again, don't give the meds. The next vet finds nothing unusual. Why didn't the vet who gave the shot and prescribed the meds know this is something that happens after shots. I spoke to quite a few people and vets are not what they use to be. Money, money. You will not find a vet who will help you out on a sunday or holiday or who will not take you to the cleaners if he or she sees a sucker. Welcome to the real world.

cmt489
March 9th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the real world.

Yes, you are correct. In the "real world" there are people who will try to take advantage. There are also people who will be honest and/or try to help. This is the same in every profession and every walk of life. Please do not take your own bad experience with vets as a sign of how all of them act. If you have a vet that you feel is trying to fleece you, seek another opinion. Vets, like any other professional, are not created equally.

Maybe I am just fortunate in that I have NEVER encountered a vet that was only looking at how much money he/she could make off of me insted of looking after the best interests of my animals (and I am not suggesting that there are not vets out there who are more concerned about profit than they are care). But then again, maybe it has to do with differing approaches. For me, I would rather pay for the whole workup up front and treat the problem instead of taking shots in the dark. To this end my pets have received full blood workups, parasite screenings, skin scrapings, x-rays and ultrasounds. EVERYTIME these tests were conducted the exact problem was pinpointed and treatment was quickly and successfully provided. Unnecessary procedures? I don't think so!

Anyhow, that is my two cents. Take it as you will. I do, however, sincerely hope that you can find a vet that you trust in the near future. This is essential to the well being of both your animals and yourself.

Michelle

mona_b
March 9th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Well I have never had a problem with the vets I have had.

That's why with any vet or even a doctor it is good to get a second opinion.As we have told a few on this site.

Me personally,if I was very sick and in lots of pain and suffereing,I would want to be euthanized.Unfortunalely,there is a law for humans.We won't get into that though.

All I can say is,that if any of my animals were in pain and suffering,and my vet wanted to add more to this,I would do what my heart would say and let them go.I already had to do that with my first GSD and my cat.It was hard,but in my heart and in their eyes I knew I did the right thing.And my vet understood and didn't fight me on it.He never would.

There are good vets and there are bad vets.Goes the same for doctors too.

cmt489
March 9th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Mona, it looks like we must have had the same thought at the same time :p

mona_b
March 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing.....LMAO:D

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I just have to say I love the vets I've had for the last 12 years.:)

They will make housecalls, let me go in after hours to have my elderly sick cats euthanized, give me discounts on care for rescued kitties, and they LOVE my pit bull!:D

daisy18216
March 9th, 2004, 02:43 PM
LR, everyone loves your Chole!!!!:D

It's impossible not to love her, just look at her cute innocent face and you fall in love instantly!

BTW, I guess miss_niki6 doesn't like our advice. Oh well, she shouldn't have asked then.

deerclan
March 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM
thanks luba.... been busy with the dog (Tracker)....LOL....Im still using the same alias.

Feels good to be back

doggy lover
March 10th, 2004, 01:35 PM
:confused: I don't know how anyone wouldn't do any thing for their pet. I recently had my dog put to sleep due to bone cancer he was 9 years old and had cancer in his front paw. It was a heart wrenching decission to make but it had to be done, his paw had swolen to 4 times its size and he was in pain even with pain killers. But we still had x-rays done to confirm mine and the vets minds on what was going on... When we bought Travis he cost us $50 I added up his vet bills that I have kept over the years and he had cost me almost$5000 in nine years and you know what if they could have saved him this time I would have paid $5000 more. He had been fixed and back dew claws removed, had OCD in his shoulder at 7 months repaired, at 5 years he got bloat and ended up with surgery to fix that. Some vets are good and let you pay them monthly for large vet bills then there is also pet insurance ( which I never had) I guess it all matters on how much you love your pet and where they are placed in your family. how could you say no to this face........

daisy18216
March 10th, 2004, 02:14 PM
sorry to hear about your dog doggy lover.:(

He was a handsome good looking dog.

RIP Travis.

Luba
March 10th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Your dog has the sweetest face and I know how much you must miss that angel! I'm in the same boat you are in.

Dee_petlover
March 11th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Just reading through all the posts and thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I don't think just because people can't afford thousands to save an animal means they do not love their pet or they are not being responsible. You have to consult with a vet and consider all the factors involved in treating certain conditions (and money is a factor for most people). Humans may not have to pay for all of their medical expenses, but there are times when even we humans have a prognosis that is so bad and we opt not to proceed with treatments that drag out our lives more painfully.

You shouldn't expect not to pay for routine care and visits when you see signs of illness that is your responsibility as a pet owner and also as a citizen as there are many diseases and parasites that are contagious to other animals and even humans.

When you get a pet you take on the financial responsibilities of vet care and refusing to take a sick animal in is CRUEL.

At the same time not everyone who has a dog is rich, nor do I think that a prerequisite for pet ownership needs to be that you would compromise your own shelter and food to spends thousands on your dog.

$5000.00 over many years is very different than say $5000.00 in one visit!

Luba
March 11th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I spent nearly 5 g's on my Rusty in one visit!

Surgery isn't cheap!

Karin
March 11th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I would have done a total hip replacement on Ciara two years ago but I was busy with other things as I stated before. Plus I had no income. I was lucky to be a part of the veterinary & equine community and they helped (..and still do) to carry us through with meds at cost and free lab work & rads.
Unfortunatly Ciara is no longer a canidate for Sx. She gets along great anyway. Synovi MSM Glucosimine, Adequan & Deramaxx are our friends. Costly yes..I could do more. If she could have the Sx, I would get a second job or hock my truck. My mother even offered me the money, but it was a little too late. I will not have any more rads taken of her hips again. Having to pull and torque to get a good view is out of the question.
But...I will fight to keep her comfortable and happy for as long as the higher ups see fit.
I have had to euthanize so many in the past working in animal/rabies control, then the shelter enviromentand many Vets. I have counseled many with the process. I fall apart when it comes to Ciara and the same with my other that I lost in 1993.
Now I know how MD's and Pediatrician's feel when they lose someone close to them.

doggy lover
March 12th, 2004, 03:11 PM
no pet care isn't cheep, we spent almost $2000 in a couple of days on Travis. But this time with bone cancer we could have amputated his front leg to the shoulder, he may have lasted another 6 months, amputate and radiation would have gove him
may be a year? But these were all questions that they could not answer the cancer could have already started somewhere else so what to do???? Also he weighed 120 lbs not a lightweight, and to take off a front leg a 9, if he was lucky he would have lived long enough to get over the surgery no not for him.. He loved to run and roam on our property up north and thats where he is forever..Having the money is not always the option
but when you get a dog, cat whatever you take on the responsibiliy to give them the best care you can get, like I said our vet if they have known you a while will let you pay in installments monthly on costly payments if you ask and there is no charge in asking.....

BlackDog
March 13th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by miss_niki6
Okay I realize better safe than sorry, right?
But I am a person off limited means and I think this money would have been better spent else where! I mean where do you draw the line, you love your pet and want to care for them somthing goes wrong and you have to spend a small fortune to find out what the problem is and god forbid there is a problem, they tap you for another!
So to all pet owners who love their pets dearly you are not a bad person if you don't take your sick animal in and it passes away, don't feel like you have to intervine with natural selection and save the poor soal! It is after all an animal and you can take comfort in the fact that while they were alive you gave them a good life full of love!
My dog is not spayed and I have no intensions to do so! she has never been bread and never will be, as I too am concerned about the worlds pet over population dilema.
I love my dog! thank you for letting me get this off my chest!

I think you have no idea what loving a dog actually means.

Not getting your dog spayed.

1. If a stray dog comes onto your lawn when your dog is out, and you are not around. The dog can breed with your dog and bingo, you've got pups like them or not. That ADDS to the over population.

2. In the photo, your dog appears to be a lab [medium-large sized animal]. It is a known FACT that spaying a dog increases its years to live. You say you love your dog, but you are doing nothing to try and increase it's life so that you can love it more.

About spending SOME money on your dog:

My cat, Hopeful, was run over earlier this year by a drunk driver. His hind-legs and his right fore-leg were broken, his spine fractured. It took around $8,000-$10,000 to have the surgery needed to save his life. It took 3 surgeries to get it right.

I never gave up hope on him, because I have known this cat since I was a little child, when I had pneumonia in both my lungs. He never left my side, and I was not about to do the same because of some money.

I had just turned 17 years old, and NO income... I still paid the money to see that my cat would live.

In the end, I think you should seriously rethink the dog... Before it ends up suffering cause of your selfishness.

Dee_petlover
March 14th, 2004, 11:05 AM
My cat, Hopeful, was run over earlier this year by a drunk driver. His hind-legs and his right fore-leg were broken, his spine fractured. It took around $8,000-$10,000 to have the surgery needed to save his life. It took 3 surgeries to get it right.

I had just turned 17 years old, and NO income... I still paid the money to see that my cat would live.

Where does a 17 year old with no income get 10,000.00 to save their cat? as if.

BlackDog
March 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM
None of my personal income.

My cousin, helped pay... why don't you try reading my other posts before you open your mouth.

Dee_petlover
March 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM
So you didn't pay for it somebody in your family did? Good I'm glad it worked out for you. You have a very lucky cat.

You were criticizing that someone else was not willing to spend money on their pet and using your example to back it up.

What you said just didn't seem realistic and I was just pointing that out.

How do you know the driver that hit your cat was drunk? Were you there?

And I don't need your permission to "open my mouth".

Dee_petlover
March 14th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Noticed you posted a new thread for this topic AFTER I asked a couple of questions. Seems fishy to me.

chico2
March 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I LOVE my cats,would do anything to keep them safe happy and healthy,but $10.000,that I would have to think long and hard over....:D
My son would love $10.000 to open his own business:D
But then again I don't know,I've never been in that situation..luckily:p
My cats don't go out into the street,they are safely at home..
I also think I would rather spare them the trauma of several surgeries and 4 months in a cage in a hospital.

doggy lover
March 15th, 2004, 08:53 AM
I'd rather save 10,000 and keep my cats inside as I do, they are quite happy that way.:p

TalonsMa
March 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM
We keep our kitty's inside as well. They only go outside with us, and we put Talon on a leash because he gets spooked easily and we don't want to chance him running into the street. They love to eat the grass, and suntan. Very cute :)

Ppl who are not willing to spay/neuter their pets should not have pets. That is not a resonsible pet owner. It irritates me. The first thing we did, when we got Sades who was 9 months old at the time was spay her. Talon was done at 5 months old. It makes them much happier.

Chany
March 21st, 2004, 11:39 AM
I'd like to know whats a small fortune??? I've spent around $2000 on 2 dogs in a year before and will probably spend that or more on our dogs we have now. Change vets if your getting ripped off, but suck it up that's life! Also I agree with Dee on the 17 year old and $10,000 I thought I was going to have to get a shovel to dig my way out of that load of crap!!

Dee_petlover
March 21st, 2004, 12:09 PM
Chany, glad someone else noticed too.