Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Warning for the Christmas season

Slams_58
December 9th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Watch your pets!!! My kids had made these little decorations for the xmas tree out of mini marshmallows stuck to a styrofoam ball with pins. My Shiba, Macy, climbed to the top of the back of the couch and managed to get it off the tree. It was really high up... but she was determined. She's now at the vet getting a pin surgically removed from the back of her throat as we speak. She managed to throw the rest of the pins up, but this one got stuck. After the surgery and xray bills... I will have paid as much for her surgery as I paid for the dog herself. It's a bit of a blow at Christmas time... but she's my girl. I feel semi responsible... but she can't be penned up 24 hours a day so she stays out of trouble. I jsut thought I'd share my experience, since most christmas ornaments have those hooks on them for hanging on the tree.... all it takes is a minute you turn your back and a curious pup.:sad: We thought we had her outsmarted since the bottom half of the tree has no decorations on it, on account of her brattiness. She seriously had to do some serious acrobatics to get this decoration off the tree.

Skryker
December 9th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Always good advice. We didn't put the tree up last year since the pups were so young, and when it goes up this year, it's going into a room that is normally gated off from the dogs. Fingal likes to get my attention by grabbing stuff he's not supposed to have, and I don't want to risk him swallowing a hook.

Hope Macy is better soon.

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I hope Macy recovers quickly! :fingerscr

TeriM
December 9th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Poor Macy. :fingerscr for a quick recovery. Thanks for the reminder we sometimes forget in this busy season.

Slams_58
December 9th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Well, Macy's out of surgery. They said it was easy to get at. They kept her overnight to rehydrate her.

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Whew! Good news after what must have been a very trying day for you. :thumbs up

Best wishes for a quick recovery for Macy! :fingerscr I hope the rest of your Christmas season is a little less hectic...

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Glad Macy is okay. :highfive:

We don't have kids so don't put up a tree which is too much of a temptation for the young ones but your story is very good advice for those that do. :thumbs up

Prin
December 10th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I'm so sorry about your doggy. That must be so hard for you to go through.:( Good luck for her recovery.

I put decoys on the bottom... Just regular craptastic balls held on with string... That way if they feel like destroying something, at least it's sort of safer.:o