Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Perianal lump/adenoma in 10.5 year old female dog

celticfox
December 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Our 10.5 year old staffordshire terrier/blue heeler cross, Rusty, was diagnosed with a small marble sized lump in the perianal area (12 o'clock position on her anus) and from the research I've done online perianal tumours aren't very common in female dogs. They are apparently quite common in intact male dogs because they are usually stimulated by testosterone. I read that when they are found in females they are more likely to be malignant and that a female should also be checked for Cushing's Disease, an adrenal disorder that can cause the production of excess testosterone in both males and females.

Rusty will be having the lump removed on Wednesday. It's bothering her a fair bit (she's constantly kicking it) so it'll be a huge relief to her once it's removed, I'm sure. I just hope the recovery won't be too painful for her, poor thing.

If anyone else has a female dog that was diagnosed with a perianal lump I'd love to hear about your experience and the outcome.

Thanks so much,
CF

celticfox
December 10th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Nobody? :(

Frenchy
December 10th, 2006, 10:40 PM
If you mean an anal lump yes , my Daisy has been there. If you have it taken out and it doesn't come back, she will be ok. After the operation, just make sure you give her fiber formula food to help her with her stools. :fingerscr

TeriM
December 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Sorry, no experience but fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for your girl :fingerscr .

celticfox
December 11th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the crossed fingers, ladies. They mean so much. :)

Frenchy - Yes, I meant an anal lump. Sorry to confuse you. Rusty's vet used the term "perianal" which is why I used it here. ;)

I'm very happy to hear that Daisy's experience was positive. May I ask how long it took for area to heal and whether Daisy required any pain medication?

Thanks for the tip about the fiber. Rusty currently eats Natural Balance Potato and Duck dry dog food. Should I switch to a different food entirely? For some reason I thought she might have to eat soft food after her surgery make her bowel movements softer and less painful. I guess it makes sense that lots of fiber would soften her stools too.

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the tip about the fiber. Rusty currently eats Natural Balance Potato and Duck dry dog food. Should I switch to a different food entirely? For some reason I thought she might have to eat soft food after her surgery make her bowel movements softer and less painful. I guess it makes sense that lots of fiber would soften her stools too.

If Rusty is doing well on the Natural Balance there is no need to switch. I would just add a little canned plain pumpkin (not the pie filling kind) to increase the fibre. Or some mashed carrot or mashed grean beans. Also, make sure she always has fresh clean water available.

Frenchy
December 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Please don't take this as an example. I did lost my Daisy in September. But she had other lumps, other operations, I guess she had too much cancer in her to make it thru. I strongly suggest you put Rusty on Medi-Cal (can food) fibre formula (or another brand,doesn't has to be Medi-Cal) . It is very important that she has no difficulty to go poop. I also had to put vaseline around the area to keep it "tender" a couple times a day. It lasted for about 10 days, until she got her stitches out and then it was back to normal. She didn't had any pain meds but she was on antibiotics before the operation and after. It was easier than I tought, except for when she figured out how to scratch her bum on the carpet :frustrated: the vet told me to make her wear panties ! (She was a 80 pound golden,my panties didn't fit her :D ) but she did wear spandex short for about an hour, I had to make a hole for the tail and it just cracked open...:D