Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Byron the Pathetic Pup

ByronsMum
December 9th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I know... I have been away for a while... :sad: Work has been crazy now that I am doing the job of TWO instead of one...:frustrated: :frustrated:

Anyhoo, Byron went for his snip-snip yesterday, incluing back dew claw removal. He came home with hubby looking absolutely PATHETIC! He has to wear these make-shift plastic booties (made from IV bags whose bottoms have been cut out and gauze strung through) on his hind legs anytime he goes out to pee; he has a cone around his neck, which he still doesn't know how to deal with cus he keep slamming into things; AND we have to keep the floors bone dry cus of his bandages!!! POOR BEANIE!!!! :sad: :sad: :dog:

He is going in on monday to have the bandages removed on his legs. The stitches on his boys are self dissolving, but the ones on his dew claws aren't. They come out in 10 days....which means that he has to wear the booties for 10 days!!!!! :frustrated: It is a whole production just to take him out to pee!! AND of course, he has to be taken out on a leash each time just so that he doesn't jump into any snowbanks!

Well, enough chatter...pikkies speak for themselves...

jiorji
December 9th, 2006, 01:01 PM
awwwwwwwwww poor baby!!

he'll be fine and back to his cuddly self soon:cloud9: I hope he's getting extra treats and hugs in the meantime. I mean...look at that face!!

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Ah, yes...the dreaded dews... We went through that laced IV stage with one of our dogs, too... But Byron looks so stylish in his leggings!

I'm glad both his surgeries went well. :grouphug: for you (sounds like you need it, too) and Byron....

He'll likely be whappin' into everything with his bonnet for the full 10 days. They know it makes them look soooooo pathetic...he'll milk it for all its worth. :D Be warned...if you've never had a dog in the Dreaded Elizabethan Collar before, your legs are going to start feeling it in a few days...

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
hee hee, he looks so sad! I'm glad his surgery was good and that you came back. :)

meb999
December 9th, 2006, 02:02 PM
awwwww,poor Byron!! I'm glad the surgery went well :thumbs up

jiorji
December 9th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Ah, yes...the dreaded dews... We went through that laced IV stage with one of our dogs, too... But Byron looks so stylish in his leggings!

oh yeah!! they're legwarmers. I hear all the cool kids are wearing them these days:thumbs up

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Awww.....poor Byron. :grouphug: I hate those collars. Didn't someone (OG ??) post info about a new thing to replace them? Glad to see you back BM. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Awww.....poor Byron. :grouphug: I hate those collars. Didn't someone (OG ??) post info about a new thing to replace them? Glad to see you back BM. :thumbs up

Actually, the clear cones aren't so bad--the dog can see through them...maybe not too clearly, but at least they're not bumping into walls. All our dogs do pretty well in the clear ones.

I don't like the totally opaque ones, though--neither do the dogs. They either go catatonic in them, or they panic...

TeriM
December 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Awww, poor Byron. Riley also had the snip-snip on thursday :sad: but we didn't get the cone. I bought some bitter spray from the vet but he just licked it off my hand :frustrated: . I have put some bitter apple around (not on) the area and that has worked pretty well.

Skryker
December 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I'm glad that Byron came through his surgeries OK! He looks fairly happy in the pics and that has to be a good sign. I never thought about the fact that having their surgeries in the summer, I didn't have to do the boot thingie with my hounds. Good thing-that would have been quite the struggle, to get both dogs into boots before taking them out. :eek:

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Awww, poor Byron. Riley also had the snip-snip on thursday :sad: but we didn't get the cone. I bought some bitter spray from the vet but he just licked it off my hand :frustrated: . I have put some bitter apple around (not on) the area and that has worked pretty well.

We had to use the cone so Gauge wouldn't pull the bandages off his legs. Most of our dogs have been pretty good about the neutering...

Our dogs love bitter apple, too... :frustrated: There used to be a product called Bandgard that the dogs absolutely hated--wouldn't put a tongue near it... But they no longer make the stuff. We're hoarding our last remaining two tubes... :shrug:

TeriM
December 9th, 2006, 04:04 PM
He liked the bitter spray from the vet but hates the bitter apple stuff. Unfortunately it seems to loose the effectiveness after a few hours.

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM
He liked the bitter spray from the vet but hates the bitter apple stuff. Unfortunately it seems to loose the effectiveness after a few hours.

Even the Bangard does--I think it just naturally wears off. Be happy if you can get a few hours out of it! :fingerscr We get about 4 minutes...sometimes 5 with the bitter apple. 7 minutes with Vicks (except for Lil Belle, who has developed a taste for Vicks :eek: ). You have to be careful with Vicks around open wounds and incisions, anyway--I imagine it would be pretty stingy if applied too close to the raw area--so we've only tried that on bandages that they were bothering.

Frenchy
December 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM
awww poor Byron ! :( They do look so pitiful , I hate the cone. It seems every 2 weeks I have a dog wearing it ,only at night and when I'm off to work. Other than that I just watch them.