Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Put in another predicament

erykah1310
December 9th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Good friend of mine calls today ( this one IS a really good friend) and she is all in a huff about this gurl she works with wanting to put down her 2 cocker spaniels because, you know, need more time, dont have enough time, feel bad for them... and so on.
So, my friend calls me and asks what she could tell this girl to do. I kinda opened my mouth ( as usual) and mentioned that I could take them in and perhaps find them a good home where they can stay together. but it isnt a definate thing. I just told her to call the girl back and NOT put them "free to good home" with a brief speach to give her on why.

So I told her to give the girl my number but not to call till monday ( have alot of stuff that has to be done this weekend,with staff parties and all)

Atleast the dogs have been spayed and neutered, Guy is cool with it, but now its me. Im not sure, I know cockers would find homes around here fast, but i wouldnt want them to end up in the "christmas gift" category.
Anyway thats my new dilema, as well as the collar one ( still not recovered.)

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Aww too bad mafiaprincess only wants one...:o

erykah1310
December 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Is there any rescue in Ontario on here? Like OG? I gather she is an ontarian. I need to ask some questions. Not allowed to post them.

mafiaprincess
December 9th, 2006, 01:35 AM
*coughs* I want pics...

erykah1310
December 9th, 2006, 01:38 AM
If indeed i do get them, i will be sure to post pics. LOTS OF THEM!! I love cockers too, thats why im in such a pickle here, I mean come on who the hey puts perfectly healthy dogs to sleep for no real reason?:frustrated:

mafiaprincess
December 9th, 2006, 01:41 AM
*coughs harder*
Wrote off my ENTIRE beeping list of cocker breeders tonight. They either didn't mention what testing they did do.. or they lied. Freaking no one CERFs.. lot of the offspring that did get tested have eye issues...
So guess I'm not getting a puppy in spring or so..

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Just wanted to say good luck, erykah. :fingerscr You're an angel, again. :angel:

erykah1310
December 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Thanks rainbow, but its just doing what i feel is right, not to be an angel. I just couldnt stand these dogs being put down, or given away to just anyone... I mean who knows what could happen to them?
Its scary. I have never met the dogs in my life and already my heart has completely gone to them... Lets just all keep our fingers crossed that monday will bring good news for the little dogs.:fingerscr it could be the day they come here and start on their way to a very loving safe forever home.

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Good luck! :fingerscr

mafiaprincess
December 9th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Last month, someone I was decent acquaintances with on msn from a pet forum announced she was going to put down her two dogs because she was 'busy' and it would be 'better for them'. I had never heard of that as an excuse before.. I got really upset about it, apparently she was off her psychiatric medication and it was for attention.. but I had never heard of that as a reason before..
And now to hear of the same thing with another pair of dogs, wtf..

Frenchy
December 9th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Erykah , do you know a good rescue near you ? You could take them (to make sure they're not going to be put down) and then transfer them in a rescue ? Cockers get adopted real fast , they so cute and since they are smaller dogs , they could me place together.:fingerscr

joeysmama
December 9th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I'm sad to say that this isn't the first time I've heard of people putting a pet down because they were just done with them. I know someone who got a kitten, "oh so happy, we love our kitten" until it became a cat, and you may or may not know this but when a kitten becomes a cat it gets BIGGER (dripping sarcasm there, in case you couldn't tell) and they got a puppy and now the cat is annoying so "dad just take this cat and don't tell me what you do with it"

What do they think he did with it ??????? He took it straight to be pts. A perfectly healthy adorable cat that was pampered and cooed over for a month and then it committed the unpardonable sin of growing.:mad

And it was no big thing to them. I asked why the cat wasn't around and they told the story the same way you would tell someone you painted a room.

OK sorry--a bit of a rant !! But this kind of thing makes me NUTS !

I hope those babies find forever homes with people who deserve them !

LL1
December 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Is this Ontario?Cocker rescues are shown here: http://speakingofdogs.com/rescue.html#c

This rescue does small breeds and is very good: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ON56.html

erykah1310
December 10th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I do know of a rescue who would take them, I think I'll foster them here till after the holidays though, they dont adopt out at christmas time. Since they are already spayed and neutered I really dont see a problem at all but I still do have to contact them about it.
And yes cockers do get adopted quickly, and I would like to do a bit of questioning to the potential owners ( this rescue doest screen the best IMO)
I'll know more monday.

Frenchy
December 10th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Good luck Erykah :fingerscr

Marshmallow
December 10th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Hey Erykah, maybe mafiaprincess would take one. She coughed for pics, lol.

I can't belive people would put a dog down over not having enough time for them. How sad.

cpietra16
December 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Hey Erykah, maybe mafiaprincess would take one. She coughed for pics, lol.

Actually I believe she coughes twice, with the second one fairly loud:D or harder

Frenchy
December 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM
he he , Erykah, just make sure to post looots of cute pics ;)

erykah1310
December 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I have a bit of a bad feeling bout this situation, so lets keep our :fingerscr that I can pick them up tomorrow.:fingerscr :fingerscr
To me something just doesnt feel right!:shrug: :pray:

meb999
December 10th, 2006, 08:48 PM
good luck :thumbs up please keep us posted. I hope they're ok :fingerscr

meb999
December 10th, 2006, 08:49 PM
By the way -- it's really great of you to offer to take them in...:thumbs up :thumbs up

erykah1310
December 10th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Well im talking now to my good friend who brought this to my attention and I have to call the girl tomorrow, see what I can work out there, apparently they "have to go ASAP" :frustrated: That ticks me off so bad!

Marshmallow
December 10th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Can you go pick them up now??

erykah1310
December 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Nope i still have to talk to her and the rescue that i help out with.
She wont have them pts right now because well someone is willing to take them, I advised not to place them "free to good home" and thankfully she took the advice well, as I was told.

Marshmallow
December 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Well at least that is good. And you're saving their lives! :angel:

I just can't imagine how she is treating them considering she was willing to kill them :(

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Good luck tomorrow, erykah. :fingerscr

erykah1310
December 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Well I got off the phone with the lady who is rehoming her spaniels, its all a go, however tonight she has a meeting to tend to and wont be home till 8 pm.. im not a fan of night driving and its approx an hours drive.
Shes getting their "things" ready and all should be said and done tomorrow when she returns from work ( 3 pmish):fingerscr

chico2
December 11th, 2006, 05:28 PM
OMG,were they ever lucky you could help out..
Just the idea of killing dogs for no reason other than they are busy,sends shivers down my spine,I hope she has a lousy X-Mas:evil:
This is something I always worried about with Bailey,the family is very busy,but I would never let that happen..good luck Erykah:pray:

OntarioGreys
December 11th, 2006, 06:39 PM
One thing I will suggest is when you take in dogs from owners who are getting rid of then , make up a signed release form, this protects you having someone later saying they were only turning the dogs over to you temporarily or suddenly wanting them back because someone else suddenly offers to buy them, or they decide they want the dogs back after you invested money in vet care for them and without a signed release the dogs can be considered legally theirs. It can be something simple eg

Date____________
I, _(owner name) ____________, have released the dog(s )_____ (name and breed description)________ into full custody and care of _________(your name)___________ to be rehomed, I will have no further claims to the dog(s)

Signature of former of owner_________________________ Date________
Signature of yourself ___________________________Date__________
Witness______________________________________Date_ _______

Best to take someone with you to act as witness

I used something like this before when rescuing a greyhound that someone had threatened to euthanize, the person was adamant the dog would not go back to the original adoption group who he felt screwed him and who he felt were cruelly treating the dogs, so I managed to convince the person to allow me to turn over the dog to another rescue group but to avoid legal problems myself from the originating adoption group and had them talk to the head of the second adoption group to be assured that they would commit to taking the dog if signed over to me. So it helped with the legal red tape and made sure the dog did not die over someone being angry with the original adoption group.

Once that is signed and the dogs loaded into your car ask
"by the way where did you get the dogs are they purebreds with papers" see if you can get their registrations, pretense it makes them easier to adopt out if they have the papers, It will have info on the breeder who should be contacted there may be a contract that required the dogs to be returned to them, the breeder can than take legal action if that was the case, a copy of the signed release provides evidence for them , you then do have the option of allowing the breeder take over the responsibility of the dogs or rehome them yourself or breeder may know of someone who is looking for an adult cocker

You may want to list them is this cocker rescue forumhttp://zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/viewforum.php?f=7

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I'm relieved nothing untoward happened over the weekend. (I always believe in other people's gut feelings...when you said you had a bad feeling about it all, I started to worry!) By tomorrow, they'll be safe with their :angel: !

If it was a necessity to give up my dogs, it would still kill me to do it, and you can bet that I'd make sure they all went to loving homes. I just can't fathom how someone could destroy or just give away their pets cuz they're busy! :mad: That sort of mentality has always mystified and appalled me...

I hope it all goes well tomorrow! :fingerscr

Frenchy
December 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Thank you thank you Erykah ! :highfive: Can't wait to see pics.

rainbow
December 11th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Good post by OG. :thumbs up Good luck tomorrow, erykah :fingerscr ...and can't wait to see the pics. :D

erykah1310
December 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks OG! I asked at the begining of the thread about ontario rescues, and that was the reason. I made one of those things up already. Just to be on the safe side.

joeysmama
December 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM
That was great information OG. I'm filing that away in case I ever come across is scenario. I was nervous about this too. Afraid she would send them off with just anyone before Erykah could get in touch with her.

I'm a SAHDM (stay at home doggie mom) and I get really nervous when I've been out too long because I feel badly for Cooper. I can't even imagine wanting to put him down because I was too busy (or lazy?) for him.:mad:

chico2
December 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I cannot wait to hear more and see some pics:dog:
I hope the"owner"does not have kids,or they will grow up thinking dogs/cats are disposable:evil:

rainbow
December 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Are the wiggly bums at your house yet? :D

SARAH
December 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Well? We're waiting for news? Did you get there in time to save them :confused: HOPE so :fingerscr If we didn't already have our legal fill of dogs I'd love to adopt one of them, unfortunately we can't :sad:

Smiley14
December 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I keep thinking about these dogs all day and keep checking the thread for updates. I hope everything works out! Whatever happens, you are such an angel for caring. Thank you!

erykah1310
December 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM
THEYRE HERE!!!!!!!!!!

And they are scared.:sad: I tried to go in the spare room with the camera but if i have anything in my hand they panic:sad: Gonna try to get Guy to take a pic of us outside on pee break.:fingerscr You all have to see them:cloud9:

They are 8 and 3, the 3 year old is terrified of EVERYTHING... :shrug: they like the cats the most and are a tad intimidated by the other dogs so they are set up in the spare room. Kita is so confused, she just wants to say hi, but they cower from her ( i dont think they have been around bigger dogs before.) Puppy and Meik dont really care that they are here and have no interest in them, which is great for now.

Its gonna be a bit of a long road, im gonna head back to the room now and lay on the bed with the old guy, he cries alot:sad:

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Awww, poor babies......I'm glad they have you to care for them. :angel:
I'm sure they'll be alright in a few days. Slow and easy one step at a time. Good luck. :fingerscr

Prin
December 13th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Yep, slow and easy. Slow movements, low voice, and just be calm.:)
Yey! They're safe! :highfive:

erykah1310
December 14th, 2006, 12:00 AM
The old guy they had his whole life. He's so confused. I mean 8 years ... I dont understand how you can just "give" to anyone:shrug: *sigh* enough bout that though, its over, they're here.

I put a radio on easy rock in their room tonight (very very low) and it seems to relax them more.:fingerscr Havent eaten yet though, but thats understandable.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better.:pray:

rainbow
December 14th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Yes, that is sad, and unfortuneately there are tons of people just like them. :sad: And, then in a few months they get themselves another adoreable little puppy. :mad:

I'm sure the dogs will soon come around when they see all the extra attention they're getting from you. Do they play with each other? What are their names?

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Good job Erykah :thumbs up . Hopefully with a little love and patience they will relax and begin to enjoy their new happy lives.

chico2
December 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Erykah,since the owner was ready to kill these unfortunate little dogs,I would think their lives would not have been all that great:sad:
Their terrible fear must be coming from somewhere,not only their new surroundings,but I am sure with your love and care they'll slowly adjust and come around.
At least they still have each other.
"My"Bailey is around 8 yrs old and she is far from old,hopefully the age of the older one will not be a problem in finding a home for them together.
Here's hoping they'll come around and realize they are in a loving place:fingerscr

SARAH
December 14th, 2006, 08:32 AM
I'm so glad they are safe and sound! This is the first thread I checked logging in today :)

Sounds like maybe they've not been taken along for outings and trips if they are so scared of EVERYTHING. Agree that age shouldn't play too much of a role in the rehab though, and what's 8 years for a smaller breed - middle age? Hey, that's not OLD :D it's "experienced" - or should be at least, although it doesn't sound like it is for this fellow.

Music is great therapy. We keep reading of cows giving more milk when they have music playing, chickens giving more eggs ... Lewis and I never leave the dogs/ cat alone at home without their having some music on, or an animal show on TV :) gives them the feeling there's someone home.

Good luck with the little ones, I'll keep checking back - and should I hear of anyone wanting a Cocker, I'll know where to send them!

mafiaprincess
December 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Waits for pics :)

Smiley14
December 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Oh, I'm so happy and relieved to hear they are safe and sound with you now! It breaks my heart to hear how terrified of everything they are! But I'm sure they will realize very quickly how much better their lives have just now become.
THANK YOU for caring so much to rescue these beautiful babies! Can't wait to see pics!!!!

Frenchy
December 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Yipeee ! You got them. :highfive: Poor doggies,:sad: doesn't seem like they were well taking care of. I hope they will get more comfy at your place, take your time, and give them time. I would really love to see pics but if they are afraid of the camera, I don't mind waiting. Good luck !

erykah1310
December 14th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Heres the newer happier thread...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34095