Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

whole eggs

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 10:07 PM
ok, so I keep reading about giving your doggy a whole raw egg. I used to add a raw egg into Buster's food when we first got him (he was waayyy skinny), but I never gave him the shell.

Doesn't the shell rip the stomach ling? It's kinda sharp :o or am I a complete moron :shrug:

technodoll
December 8th, 2006, 10:20 PM
well... have you ever seen a snake swallow a whole egg that is 5 times the size of its head? :D "sharp" is all relative, in nature carnivores are built to be able to manage what they're supposed to eat, from nose to tail - otherwise they would starve and die, eh? :rolleyes: YES whole eggs with the shell are perfectly safe to feed, even to young puppies and kittens. it's one of nature's perfect foods actually, with almost 100% digestible protein, balanced with calcium. :)

Stacer
December 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Would it be beneficial to crack an egg, shell and all, into my cat's dry kibble once a day? I like the idea of raw, but don't think I have the time to do it properly, maybe doing it in baby steps would make it seem less overwhelming, eggs would be an easy place to start.

technodoll
December 8th, 2006, 11:03 PM
stacer, absolutely! you don't even need the shell since kibble contains calcium. some cats only like raw eggs mixed in wet food, might be a texture issue :shrug: also, i would just make sure to be there a few hours later just in CASE the egg doesn't agree with your cat's tummy. "you never know" :D you could make a nice snack with a frozen raw egg or even a hardboiled egg! :thumbs up

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Just be careful... With every new thing a doggy eats, there's a chance of major splats. Friday is a good time to try so you can be there all weekend if there's any "damage". :o

(Jemma and Boo both get supersplats from raw eggs)

mummummum
December 9th, 2006, 12:42 AM
If you want to use the shell: I put the empty shells in my toaster oven at about 200/250 until they are dry then I grind them to a fine powder in a spice/ coffee grinder.

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 12:52 AM
"Honey? How come my coffee is crunchy?" :D

Scott_B
December 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Yup, eggs are great. Just today for breakfast Rosco had some deer meat, a few chicken necks, and I tossed an egg in. I try to use only free run eggs and i wash them a bit before hand, as no doubt, they're likely sprayed with something. :rolleyes:

When i cook them for myself, i keep the shells and dry them out and grind them in my coffee grinder. I'll add that to some organ meat sometimes. :thumbs up

First thing Rosco did was take the egg from his dish, and lay it on the floor, went back, ate everything else, then came back to the egg, cracked it, ate the insides then ate the shell. He does that all the time. When he gets chicken backs, he'll take one out, set i aside, eat everything else, then comeback to that back. crazy :p

I really like freezing them and tossing them out on the lawn for a treat! :highfive:

barkley21
December 9th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Whenever I feed Barkley raw eggs, I usually dig a little hole in the middle of his meat mush and crack the egg and put it in the hole (I'm all about the presentation :p ) and then I take the egg shells and cruch them up in my hand and sprinkle them all around. He LOVES the egg shells! I used to worry that they were too sharp also, but he munches on them like they were potato chips :dog:

mummummum
December 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM
"Honey? How come my coffee is crunchy?" :D

:offtopic: You are sooooooo reported.:D

In my house pretty much everything has to be colour coded for human and dawg. Would hate to get those thermometres mixed up eh ? :eek: