Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

amoxil

t.pettet
December 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Took in a stray kitten last night, she's 4-5 wks. old and less than 1 lb. (found on the road by one of my grooming customers), she is anemic, had bloody diarrhea, has coccidiosis and is presently on amoxil 0.7 twice daily for 7 days. Was treated with 1/2 cc. strongid-t and 1/2 cc. pepto-bismol. Since coming home from vets this a.m. she has not eaten anything and is sleeping for 4-5 hr. stretches. What are the side-effects of amoxil - lethargy, poor apetite? Am really concerned for this little mite and hoping she isn't harboring distemper.

chico2
December 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Thank's for caring for her..at 4-5weeks old,would she not still be on mothersmilk???
Maybe she needs to be bottlefed,I have no idea,never had a kitten that young,hopefully someone else can help:cat:

Golden Girls
December 8th, 2006, 05:46 PM
aww poor thing thanks for taking her in. Amoxil is just an antibiotic, it usually takes at least 24 to 48 hrs b4 to kicking in. There are no side affects and sleeping is good. Bottle feeding her when she wakes up is good idea ... you should see a difference soon. Good luck - she's so lucky and prob was found just in time :fingerscr

dogcatharmony
December 8th, 2006, 06:18 PM
how wonderful of you for taking her in, what a lucky cat. I would keep an eye out if she starts throwing up. My cat phoebe was prescribed amoxil and after the second day she started being sick , i still tried to give her medicine but she got sicker. I called the vet and he found out that she was allergic to amoxil and they had to change her prescription. I wish you and your kitty all the best.

t.pettet
December 8th, 2006, 10:45 PM
She was someone's kitten as she is litter trained and eats out of a dish and we think was dumped when she became ill. She finally ate 1 tablespoon tonight but then right back to bed, although the diarrhea is no longer as bloody. Thanks for the replies and well wishes.

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Fingers crossed for this poor little girl. :fingerscr You are an :angel: for taking her in.

TeriM
December 9th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Thinking good thoughts for the poor little kittie. :fingerscr

angeldogs
December 9th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Poor kitty.hope she gets better soon.shes lucky you took her in.

heyjude11
December 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Are you sure the kitten isn't older than 4-5 weeks? It seems odd that a kitten that young would be litter trained and eating from a dish. What did she eat 1 tablespoon of? I agree that if she's that young she should be bottle fed. In any case, thank you for taking her in, and good luck.

t.pettet
December 10th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Yes, vet confirmed she's under 6 weeks and she's on feline pediatric canned food with a wee bit of wetted down mashed up dry added in. She's very, very skinny and bony and small but thats probably from malnutrition, worms and being ill for most of her short life. She's a tough little thing and is sitting on my lap as I type, purring her heart out. The stool is less diarrhea, a lighter tone and not as runny, but her anus is distended and red and raw so its good she isn't having firmer stools yet. Have been bathing her behind everyday and putting anti-biotic cream on. She sleeps on a hot-water bottle rolled in a towel surrounded with stuffies in a little crate. Because she's also deaf and can't hear herself she is really loud when she wants some attention or food etc. Earlier she was trying to nurse on one of my male dogs who proceeded to wash her ears until she got too friendly with his privates. Funny!