Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training kittens

Caney
December 8th, 2006, 04:38 PM
we have 3 kittens, 2 of them are litter sisters (baggins and gandalf) and the other (munchkin) was a free to a good home kitten, from a family friend

the problem is gandalf is an incredibly curious cat, as i guess the all are, but she is finding her way onto spaces that are not safe for her, we have been using the water spray method, but i am not sure about using it as much pn her, as she has very sensitive eyes from an infection she had as a kitten.

is it safe to be spraying her? since its most effective to aim at her face, she is an adorable kitten, and we would hate for her to be injured jumping down from a high place or anything like that.

here is a pic of her though, you can see her left eye is a little "wierd"

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Awww....she is very cute. :cloud9: Have you taken her to the vet about her eye infection?

Kristin7
December 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
She's very cute! I'm not sure what her eye problem was/is, but if you are just spraying water, would guess that is fine. Of course, consult a vet to be sure! If you are worried, aim away from her face. Sometimes just the sound of a spray is enough for my cats. If possible, block off all areas you don't want her in. My cat Annie is just like that, so had to put up chicken wire all over in the basement or she was getting into all kinds of places that were not safe. However, I did accidently shut her in my sleeper sofa once! Luckily she was not hurt... Could be yours will grow out of some of this as she gets older and you won't have to worry as much. Good luck!

Caney
December 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM
the infection happened when she was just a few months old, but there was some scaring on her inner lids, on her left eye her inner lid has closed slightly, and does not open, and it seems to be pulling her outer lid shut a little, so her left eye looks smaller then her right. she was treated for the infection at the time, even spent a few nights in the vets, and they are going to repair the damage to her lids when she goes under to be spayed.

we are continuing with the water method, now it seems to be enough to show her the spray, and sometimes she will respond to a stern no if i catch her about to get somewhere shes not meant to be, like behind the tumble dryer.