Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Infants wheeze less in homes with multiple dogs

Angies Man
December 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.rgj.com/blogs/mostlydogs/

Reason #2 to get a dog: Infants breathe better

Infants wheeze less in homes with multiple dogs, according to a new study at the University of Cincinnati. Here's an excerpt from the researchers' press release:

Cincinnati researchers, led by David Bernstein, MD, have found that infants living in homes with high levels of endotoxins (bacterial contaminants) and multiple dogs were more than two times less likely to wheeze than other infants.

They found that wheezing was not associated independently with either dog or cat ownership or high levels of indoor endotoxins; however, high endotoxin exposures in homes that also had multiple dogs resulted in less wheezing.

"Our research presents evidence that pet ownership offers a protective effect against development of lower respiratory symptoms in young
children," adds Bernstein.

The study was a five-year study following 520 infants at risk of developing allergies because one or more parent had allergies.

erykah1310
December 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I read that too not long ago, I thought about posting it but couldnt find it again.

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hmm.. How many dogs is "multiple" and at what point does the effect reverse? :shrug:

Either way, I think any constant exposure to animals makes a kid stronger in the end.:cloud9: