Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new, few questions re: barking and jumping

shelleyb
December 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi, I'm new here and have a 5 month old golden retriever named Molly. We got her at 7 weeks and she is, for the most part, a very good puppy. She did very well in her training class and has mellowed out a fair amount. But I do have some concerns....

Molly seems to see our 14 yr old son as a playmate. He feeds her, walks her sometimes but he is the only person that she barks at. She will bark at him while he's sitting or standing (about once or twice a day) and I believe its so that he will play with her. How do we get her to stop doing this? She doesn't do it to my husband or me or my daughter (8), just our son.

Also, Molly is VERY friendly. She likes to meet everyone and will jump up on people. She doesn't do this to me or my husband or daughter. But she does it to my son and other people. I bring her to my daughters' bus stop and she will try to jump up on everyone there. We will be walking and as we pass someone she will try to jump up on them. How can I get her to stop this?

ALastly, she tends to pull while on leash. She has a flat, buckle collar and we use a 6 ft leash. Sometimes she is great, walks very nicely....other times we come in and my arm aches because she has pulled so much. (she does this to my husband sometimes too) I won't let my 8 yr old daughter walk her because she does pull so much and also tries to jump up on people.

I would appreicate any help on these issues!!

~michelle~
December 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
start to teach your dog the quiet command, and tell your son DO NOT engage in play whe she is barking. also do not use overly loud or high pitched enthusiastic voices when she is doing this, it will only encourage her.
for the jumping i have dogs who were very bad for this. i asked NOBODY to pet them for a few weeks while we were walking it can be hard and people will get rude with you but just tell them nicely shes training right now may i ask you please dont pet her. if you want to let someone pet her that you know on the street, put her in to the sit position and then she can recive a pat. people petting her no matter how infrequent it is when she is jumping up reinforces this behaviour. right now until she is better trained the bus stop with a bunch of kids might not be the best place for her. as kids getting off the bus can be loud and running and cause lots of excitement
also for pulling i have had success with a gentle leader.
best of luck

gonementally2da
December 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=shelleyb;331601]Hi, I'm new here and have a 5 month old golden retriever named Molly. We got her at 7 weeks and she is, for the most part, a very good puppy. She did very well in her training class and has mellowed out a fair amount. But I do have some concerns....

maybe i can help, here's a trick that works great, i've never had a dog i've trained not respond to it and it's a gentle way of handling the "jumping" problem. every time your "little devil" jumps, raise your knee up- bocking the jump and making them uncomfortable the inability to reach you properly then as you do this firmly say "break it off" with each repeat of jumping, respond the same. this even works to stop a dog that isn't yours (we all have been visiting a friend who's dog jumps up as soon as you get there, trust me this works!) as for continuing with your dog, use this "break it off" command every time dog puts himself (whether it's one leg or four) on something he shouldn't. each time you use it, physically correct him by removing his paws from couch, table, ect. once your dog is used to this command you can then use it when he goes to jump on someone else a simple "break it off" and down he will go. also it's time to teach a "corrective sound", i personally use an "ack" sound, if you've ever seen the dog whisperer he uses a "ch" sound, by finding the sound you can make and using it before any corrective command (ex. dog jumps on you- up goes knee with a back of your throat "ack" sound and an immediate "break it off" and down dog goes, he repeats again, you repeat, after couple tries dog gets it and responds to command) as for the pulling, here is another training trick, when your dog starts to pull drop down on one knee and say "no pull" and then while in your dropped position yank the dog onto her butt. i promise you won't hurt her it just startles her and corrects her, i would also recommend changing to a four foot leash one with a double handle (has an extra handle hooked down next to where it snaps onto collar) it gives you extra control when in crowded areas. now with your baby, if i remember right you said the child was old enough to play with puppy? Molly is showing dominance with her barking to get her way, try taking her and with baby's help putting her onto her back into the submissive position, have baby "help" hold Molly onto her back with a hand on her chest, use the command to stay (stay, steady, etc) have this position held until Molly calms down and goes completely relaxed. remember the dog needs to learn her place in the family arrangement and that means the baby is a pack leader, always have Molly be last through door, in dog language the leaders always lead way, once she learns her place she will accept that playtime is when you all say it is not when she says it is.i hope this helps