Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has almost NO teeth - any experience w/this situation

Mikey&Simba
December 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I'm a new member and have posted several times. Great site!

My 12 yr old cat has a congential gum condition and even though he has had dentistry every every, my last visit to the Vet revealed he has only his 4 front incisors left and will probably lose them, too.

Does anyone have a cat with NO teeth? Do their tongues hang out of their mouth? Do they drool? My poor kitty!

My Vet is very cheery about it all saying that it will be ok, but I'd like to know from other members their experience with this

Replies much appreciated :grouphug:

jiorji
December 8th, 2006, 04:48 PM
no the tongue won't hang and she won't drool.

I used to work at this huge flower nursery place in Ontario and they had this cat that lived there that was adopted and she has no teeth yeth she'd regularly hunt birds. I saw her pounce and kill a bird with my own eyes! Teeth don't matter! You might want to ask vet for what kind of food to give her so she can swallow easier.

vfrohloff
December 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I personally have never had a cat with no teeth, but a friend of mine did. Her cat lived to be 21 and in his last few years had no teeth left. She fed him canned food only and he loved it. I wouldn't ask the vet for food recommendations, they'll recommend something they sell in their clinic which is garbage IMO. A good holistic canned food is a much better option. I find the Eagle Pack Holistic or Merrick to be the mushiest ones.

Mikey&Simba
December 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks, vfrohloff and jiorji,
I'm glad to know that cats can gum their food, still feel like hunting, and not compromise their lifespan without teeth. So far, so good - he still has his front, but I tell you it broke my heart when he lost his last side tooth and couldn't chew his dry food. He looked so confused when he tried! :sad:

He does like his canned food, and yes, I agree that most Vets prescribe some horrible food that you have to buy from them.

The brands you mentioned I've seen, but haven't tried. Thanks, I will. I do give both my cats Wellness, Natural Balance (one of my cats has allergies), Triumph. :grouphug:

vfrohloff
December 12th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Those are all excellent foods you are feeding, and if the cat is able to eat them then I would stick with them. I do find the Wellness rather dense in consistency so if your cat has trouble with it you could either feed something else or put a bit of water in it to make it mushier. Good luck!

springermom0406
December 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM
My rescue kitty Putsy had started losing teeth before we got her when she was 2. Now at almost 13yrs old she has just 1 tooth left in the front. She gets canned food, as well as kibble wet down. She gets Chicken Soup Lite Formula and LOVES it. She tries to eat that over the wet food. She doesn't drool or anything like that.