Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

unseasonal shedding

MMag1994
December 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM
My Samoyed is shedding heavily and the temperature has been very cold. Usually heavy shedding occurs only in the Summer months. What could be the cause for this untimely shedding?:confused:

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Umm, a lot of dogs shed out 2 or 4 times a year... If the shedding is excessive and constant though, there could be an allergy involved, or maybe even a hormonal issue. Only your vet would know for sure.:shrug:

technodoll
December 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
my akitas blow coat twice per year (late spring and late autumn) but around christmastime, it's not unusual to see a bout of shedding... i've heard the same from other akita owners :shrug:

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Buster sheds a little bit all year around :shrug: then again...he has no undercoat....

mummummum
December 8th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Any problems with skin condition and eyes ? Any dietary changes ? Environmental changes (cleaning products, new type of heat source, water source or water filter etc.) Social changes (new animal, new "significant other", new work schedule etc.) ? It may just be an odd one-off occasion or it may be something to see the Vet about. It may be best to have a look at everything that is going on in your dog's life and bring these findings to your Vet if you can't narrow it down to something your can try and eliminate i.e diet, cleaning products.