Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

am I a b!tch?

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 08:10 AM
ok, so here's the situation...what would you do if you were me?

Most of our exams are open book exams. So all semester long, I re-type my notes and I include in them excerps of the books I had to read for the class and the important articles of law. I work my butt off to do my notes.

Now it's happened many times during the semester that someone's asked me for the notes of a certain class (if they've missed a class or don't understand a certain concept). I have no problem giving it to them.

But yesterday, this guy in my class (who basically sleeps through most of his classes....and he NEVER does any work -- I know 'cause I was on his team in one of my courses and he never did his share of the work :frustrated: ) asked me for my notes in Company Law. I said sure, which class do you need?

He said : the whole semester. On the spot I said...'hmm...I guess.....'

But...I kinda don't want to send them to him...I mean I worked my a$$ off on them. Am I a bitch for not wanting to send them to him? :o

phoenix
December 8th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Nope, I think you're completely right! There are people in the world who get away with this type of thing all of the time cause 'nice' people step in and rescue them. I HATE that! You were willing to help out if it were one or two classes, but the whole sem? That's ridiculous.

:thumbs up You worked hard for the notes, and you should be the one benefiting from them.

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
thanks Phoenix :o I just e-mailed him asking him 'which Company law classes did you need again?'

Maybe he'll feel too cheap to ask for the whole lot.... :o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I dont think this guy deserves your notes that you worked so hard to do - he shouldnt be going to law school if he is so lazy - plus whats he actually gonna know when/or if he becomes a lawyer. :D

I would say in this situation dont give them to him - maybe show him your excellent note taking techniques instead :D :

LibbyP
December 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I'd have to say the Big NO, you worked your butt off while this 'slacker' just sat back and took the ride NO WAY!!! :yell: :frustrated: I can understand like you said if it was a class or two if they didn't get it or were ill but for just plan lazy, ~ NOPE ~ NOPE ~ NOPE ~ sorry about your luck!!!!

LibbyP
December 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM
OOOpps I forgot to add if I were him I'd be WAy to :o to even ask someone for their notes for the whole semester.

pamha
December 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I don`t think it would be nasty to flat out tell him you`d be willing to help for a class or 2, but not for the whole semester. I (think) that`s the way I`d put it and I`m usually a wuss at sticking up for myself & speaking out. If he`s bold enough to go to everyone and ask for a class or 2 to make up his whole semester, well, he is just shameless. We are all behind you on this one!

jiorji
December 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM
lol meb
tell him that the whole semester worth of notes won't fit in his email account cos the file's too big:evil:

LibbyP
December 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I hope I didn't come off nasty?! I was just saying I wouldn't give him the whole semester, a class or two maybe. Tell him Christmas is coming and sure you could really use some cash ~ then see what he says :evil: ;)

Frenchy
December 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Tell him your computer crashed , Sorry buddy ! Let him do his own work :mad:

technodoll
December 8th, 2006, 09:51 AM
he he, you say "b!tch" like it's a bad word :D

i agree with Frenchy. say sorry but your PC is on the fritz and he is SOL. no hard feelings, eh? :thumbs up

HunterXHunter
December 8th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Nope. Not a bitch at all! I'd would've said "No" the first time. :D

~michelle~
December 8th, 2006, 09:55 AM
just say no.
you notes. your work. why should someone else that doesnt even care benefit from you? if he was having problems all semester or didnt get it he should have been seeking more appropriate help (such as a school tutor) all semester than begging you at the 11th hour.

hazelrunpack
December 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I thought I was the only one who ever typed up their notes! Drove myself crazy all through college doing that... Everyone thought I was nuts...except the people who wanted to borrow them. Back then, everything was hardcopy (hey...I can't help it...I'm old). I loaned out 4 weeks of notes to a guy once and the bastid never returned them. :frustrated:

Don't do it...unless he pays for copying and he pays you very well for your time. It's his own d*** fault if he wasn't taking any notes... *ooooo...hazel just realized that deep down, she's still deeply resentful of that bastid! note to self: talk to therapist :eek:

jesse's mommy
December 8th, 2006, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't give them to him at all. That's insane that he thinks that he can catch up because of you. What kind of attorney is he going to be? Is he going to expect his paralegal to do everything for him? I would tell him that he needs to figure it out on his own.

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM
thanks guys...I was thinking that I was mean, but I'm glad you think like I do. :highfive: Now all I have to do is grow a back-bone (or some balls!) :rolleyes:

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 11:16 AM
ah man....I'm such a wuss....

So I wrote to the guy asking him which class he needed (I didn't think he'd have the gull to ask for the whole semester again)

here's the answer I got :

Les plus possible . Je trouve que c'est une matière asez compliquée et mes notes de cours ne sont pas des plus claires .C'est pour cela que je te prie de m'envoyer les plus de notes de cours possible que t'as . Je n'ai pas beaucoup de temps pour étudier , je préfère tes notes car ils sont claires , je ne rien a déchiffrer.
--------

translation ? -- I don't have alot of time to study, so send me all the notes you can.

grrrrrrrrrr. I don't know how to tell him no. Does anyone know how to make a word file not open? I could blame it on computer troubles....
you know, I don't have alot of time either....but I MADE the time to study all through the semester.

Urg. This sucks.

BusterBoo
December 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I would definitely not be sending him any of my notes! This sounds like a stunt someone pulls in high school, when they didn't have time to study!

Just tell him you have thought about it some more and would prefer not to share your notes. Tell him next semester you are willing to tutor him on how to write notes (for a fee $$$$).

If you are going to wimp out :D then just give him notes on the easiest class you took! Tell him you are still trying to transcribe your handwritten notes.

But definitely....I would not share your hard work with a slacker....:shrug:

technodoll
December 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM
marie-eve that reply of him stinks of BS Loser! like you're his employee or something? get off your lazy arse and make the time to study like everyone else! you are not responsible for him so don't feel any guilt. I would just be so pissed off that he even asked! one class, ok maybe. but everything?? "give me a break" :mad:

jawert1
December 8th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Given this dude hasn't got the time to study, how does he expect to have the time to perform once the degree is awarded? Tell him you had computer failure or something and you can't help him. BTW, if you yank the cord from the back of the computer, it truly is considered a fail case :) Ergo, no deception :)

Golden Girls
December 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
grrrrrrrrrr. I don't know how to tell him noThe next time you see him can you not say you had a virus and everyting got wiped out - so sorry :shrug:

happycats
December 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Okay, you may think I'm B!tch for suggesting this but..... I would make up a few dummy notes (and I mean dummy, bad, wrong) and send them:evil: either he'll use them and fail,(Which he deserves) or he will think your notes are terrible, and never ask you for notes again!!!

BusterBoo
December 8th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Okay, you may think I'm B!tch for suggesting this but..... I would make up a few dummy notes (and I mean dummy, bad, wrong) and send them:evil: either he'll use them and fail,(Which he deserves) or he will think your notes are terrible, and never ask you for notes again!!!

Now that is the BEST idea so far!!!! :evil:

HunterXHunter
December 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM
grrrrrrrrrr. I don't know how to tell him no. Does anyone know how to make a word file not open? I could blame it on computer troubles....

Ok, here's how...

1) find a picture (JPEG, GIF, whatever....find several actually)
2) open DOS prompt (START -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt)
3) type:
cd directoryWhereYouPutThePictureFiles
4) type:
copy pictureFilename.JPEG Notes1.doc
copy pictureFilename.GIF Notes2.doc
...etc...

*repeat (4) until you have enough "Notes", then try to open with MS Word just to make sure, and then send away!

If you want some clarification, on my instructions, let me know :thumbs up

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM
When is the exam?

I would just stall. "I'm going to my parents' cottage for a bit to study. I'll send them when I get back." And then you just don't come back before the exam.

OR

Your internet- oh no! it stopped working, sorry. :evil:

Stacer
December 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I would just tell him the truth. Just say you've had second thoughts based on his track record in class and his lack of responsibility and that you'd feel worse if you gave him your notes than if you didn't. He shouldn't have asked you for an entire semester's notes and he probably knows that. He seems like an arrogant ass who's trying to take advantage of your kindness. Just flat out tell him you've changed your mind and you won't be giving him your notes, but there are probably other people who would be delighted to lend him their notes!

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM
oo ooo or tell them your support group said no.:D

HunterXHunter
December 8th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Step 1 and 2

HunterXHunter
December 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM
In step2, click ok, and then in the first line of the text, delete the few characters there....they should represent the file type of your original file (in this case "GIF", so delete it and save, and when reopened....voila! Just like magic

End result :D

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Just make sure you save a copy elsewhere too no? :o

LibbyP
December 8th, 2006, 02:18 PM
oo ooo or tell them your support group said no.:D

Oh I like this one, good one Prin :thumbs up

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I like the support group too :D :thumbs up

Or I could tell him that my personalities had a vote...it was a close call, but 5 to 3 said I shouldn't send him anything :shrug:

I'll probably wind up sending him some notes...just because....well...I'm a pushover. Maybe I'll try that picture un-openable thingy. hmmmmm

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM
aww, I wish you were in my class so I could sleep in every day when I was supposed to be in class. :cloud9:

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
well, it's official --- I have no balls and I have no backbone.

I sent him 5 classes worth of notes (on 15). So he's got a third of my work. I told him those were the only ones I had typed up.

I'm such a pushover. http://foolstown.com/sm/shy.gif Thank goodness I'm not going to a lawyer...I would of been a terrible lawyer!!

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM
lol
MEB: Are you guilty?
OJ: No.
MEB: Ok! Great. Let's get started!

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM
LOL!!

More like :

Me : My client is INNOCENT!!
Prosecutor : No he's GUILTY!
Me : really?? Wow, I never thought of that. you must be right. how much do I owe you?

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
lol that would be so funny. :D

jiorji
December 8th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Je trouve que c'est une matière asez compliquée et mes notes de cours ne sont pas des plus claires

LOL!! that's the excuse I use :o
But in that class...teacher spoke really fast, with a HEAVY french accent, and by the time i figured out what she was saying, she was on to the next subject:sad: so i DID attempt to write notes.

jiorji
December 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM
LOL!!

More like :

Me : My client is INNOCENT!!
Prosecutor : No he's GUILTY!
Me : really?? Wow, I never thought of that. you must be right. how much do I owe you?

Meb you sound like the kind of person whom I could persuade in 3 minutes to give me her lunch money. And I'm not a good persuader. hehe

Rick C
December 8th, 2006, 07:56 PM
In my formative years, working on my uncle's farm, young partiers would periodically get their vehicles stuck down on the banks of the Red Deer river, in spite of the obvious warnings.

The instructions from my uncle were to take the tractor down, back up to their vehicle . . . . . . and tell them to empty their pockets.

Everything in them. Everything. Turn them out. Let me see. Leave them with nothing but their car keys and a tow out.

You should have, very much, asked him how much the notes were worth to him and made it worth your while . . . . and given him a lesson.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Frenchy
December 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
well, it's official --- I have no balls and I have no backbone.

argggg, MEB ! Come on , get a little bitchy next time ! I could give you a class of 101 bitchyness , no charge. No problemo , call me next time. :cool:

Angies Man
December 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM
When is the exam?

I would just stall. "I'm going to my parents' cottage for a bit to study. I'll send them when I get back." And then you just don't come back before the exam.

OR

Your internet- oh no! it stopped working, sorry. :evil:

OR

Oh, I'm sorry, I was SO BUSY STUDYING that I just didn't have time to scan and email all that material!!!

Dogastrophe
December 8th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Meb, next term keep a good set of notes for yourself and make a BS set for your handouts to slackasses. Change a few facts here and there ... just enough to make everything wrong but seem legit. :D

babyrocky1
December 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't give them to him at all. That's insane that he thinks that he can catch up because of you. What kind of attorney is he going to be? Is he going to expect his paralegal to do everything for him? I would tell him that he needs to figure it out on his own.

LOL, I dont think your a B... but after reading this thread I think we can safely figure out how Michael Bryant passed through law school...mystery solved! I know I see everything through the "pit bull ban" :dog: :crazy:

babyrocky1
December 8th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Meb, next term keep a good set of notes for yourself and make a BS set for your handouts to slackasses. Change a few facts here and there ... just enough to make everything wrong but seem legit. :D ooooooh, your EVIL, I like the way you think!!!!:D