Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spring Time

jenni555
December 8th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Ok! How the heck are you supposed to keep a puppy clean during the spring?! Seriously?! Do you guys bathe your dog everytime they come in from being outside? I took Indy outside today and she came back absolutely filthy! With the melting snow, my backyard is a swamp and all the streets are dirty too! She's a golden and her belly was absolutely black! I can't really clean her off outside as I don't think it's warm enough yet...and I don't either want nor have the time to bathe her everyday...so what do you do? Just live with dirt all in your house??

Jenni

Kristin7
December 8th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I know what you mean. With my dog, if it is muddy, I grab him as he comes in the door and wipe his feet off while he stands on the rug. Luckily that is usually the worst of it. I found some pet wipes at Costco, they work really well. They are like 'Wet Ones' for pets. Or, a wet wash cloth would do the same thing. If the mud dries, a good brushing should do the trick. I've not tried these, but there are boots for dogs. You could put those on your dog for outside and take the muddy boots off when she comes in.

speedbunny70
December 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I have a lab and he loves anything with water.....including mud. I usually just put him in the bath tub and rinse his belly, paws and legs off. Then he's good to go!!!

SARAH
December 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM
No thanks :) the bath tub is upstairs and I'd have to take the dogs through the hallway, the living room and up the stairs, down the corridor and finally into the bathroom (sounds like a huge place, it's really not) - I'd be cleaning the house more than the dogs :D but I do have an old towel for them right inside the front door and wipe off the worst of it when they are wet and muddy. It normally works pretty well.

chico2
December 8th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Springtime:confused: did I sleep and wake up to spring,that would be wonderful:D

mummummum
December 8th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Springtime:confused: did I sleep and wake up to spring,that would be wonderful:D

What and miss out on all the wonderful frrrrrrreeeeezzzzzzzing rain and snow we have coming ?

Lots of old towels to get the major wet stuff off. But if they are solid mud it means into the garage for a hose down.

hazelrunpack
December 8th, 2006, 10:23 PM
We have 6 dogs and they usually want to come in muddy. Can't have that :eek:

So we keep a plastic 2 1/2 gallon (sorry, don't have a liter conversion...what would that be? Maybe 9 - 10 liters?) sprinkling can and some old towels by the door. Before they come in, they get their feet sprinkled and wiped. Typically, if it's under say 25 F (hmmm -4 C) their feet stay pretty clean, but anything warmer than that and they need cleaning. They all took to it pretty well--raise their feet now, one by one, to have it done, even...

The trick is to find an out-of-the-way place to do the sprinkling in colder weather. If it's below freezing, you get a patch of ice that you really don't want to have to walk on...it stays very slippery :eek: So don't do it right outside the door or in a spot on the deck that you have to cross frequently...

PS with a little sloshing, you can actually use the sprinkling can to do the belly, too...but if the dog is very dirty, you might be refilling the can a lot.

Prin
December 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM
How the heck are you supposed to keep a puppy clean during the spring?! Seriously?!
yep. It's that time of year again. :crazy: :D

Frenchy
December 9th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I don't clean the dogs , I clean the house :eek: I just wipe them as best as I can and I use a no rince shampoo once in a while.

hazelrunpack
December 9th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I don't clean the dogs , I clean the house :eek: I just wipe them as best as I can and I use a no rince shampoo once in a while.

but frenchy, I hate cleaning the house! :eek:

chico2
December 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I wipe my floors at least once a day after the cats have been outside,luckily they clean themselves:thumbs up wish they did the floors too:cat: