Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not sure if kitty has ringworm...

CalliesMom
December 7th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hi, I'm new here...

I have a 10 year old cat who stays indoors only. She's happy and fat and the only skin conditions I see on her is she has dandruff, likely due to me feeding her diet cat food...

The other day my hubby noticed a round rash on his arm. He went to the doctor and the dr. diagnosed ringworm, and said he likely got it from our cat. However, our cat shows no skin symptoms at all that would be attributed to ringworm (from my research into it). Just wondering if I should still take her to the vet to get checked? She HATES the vet, and she's old and I dont want to put her through more stress than I have to... :angel:

It is possible hubby could have gotten it through playing sports, and maybe sharing something with someone else......??

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Yes it is possible that he could have picked it up somewhere else. It is also possible that an animal can carry it without showing any symptoms, as far as I know.

It is the same sort of fungal infection that causes athlete's foot.

Best to check your cat all over and over though to be sure.(although I am sure you have probably already done that).

vfrohloff
December 8th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Where exactly is the dandruff on your cat? If it's around the ears and head area I would take her to the vet. However, given the fact that your cat doesn't go out it's unlikely that she'd contract ringworm. Has she had any contact with other cats recently? Have you or your husband been to visit anyone with a cat (or dog)? Ringworm spores can be carried on clothing or pet bedding. If none of the above applies, I would guess that it's more likely your husband picked up ringworm at the gym than from your cat.

CalliesMom
December 15th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Thanks for your responses! Callie (my sweet old cat) rarely goes outside and stays far away from other cats (she is not very friendly to any kitty intruder in our backyard!). Her dandruff is just on her back, not on her face. SO, I think I will just keep an eye on her, but I will assume hubby got his strange rash elsewhere! Thanks! :thumbs up