Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Biting/Nipping Puppy

Aimster
December 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM
We just got our new puppy, Moxy, from the local shelter. She is mostly well behaved for a 3-4 month old puppy that probably had a bad owner from birth. But when she gets playful she bites or rather grabs ahold of our hands and won't let go and because she has sharp puppy teeth it's rather painful. We've been trying to get our hands out and substitute them with a toy right away and then correcting her. It seems to be ineffective at the moment. She also likes to turn and bite my legs when I'm walking her, she'll jump and bite and get won't stop until I pull on the leash to hold her back from my body.

Any suggestions on how she can be trained out of the biting while playing?

TeriM
December 7th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Welcome to puppyhood! You could try a sharp "yipe" or "ouch" every time she makes contact with your skin. With some dogs that is enough to stop them. I gave my pup two trys and then if he went for a third I would calmly take him and put him in his crate (or other confined area away from you) for a time-out. They quickly figure out that the behavoir results in the loss of your attention.

If she is doing it while on leash I would suggest the same theory but instead step on the leash so that she can sit but cannot move around and tell her to wait or settle. She will likely bounce and struggle and then give up and look at you. When she is quiet then you can begin to move forward again.

If possible also give her some playtime with other well socialized/non-aggressive dogs. That is how they learn to control their bite as the other dogs will definately let them know it is unacceptable behavoir.

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I agree with TeriM's advice. The "ouch" in a high pitched voice worked for me. And, yes, welcome to puppyhood. :D

TeriM
December 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Good point Rainbow. The yipe or ouch should be high pitched kinda like a dog would do if it was yiping.