Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

VF or Enhance?

gypsyboy
December 7th, 2006, 03:57 PM
My vet has recommended that I feed my new dog either VF or Enhance food? Has anyone heard about these brands?

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
According to this site: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
They both get 2 stars out of 5... Typical for a vet recommended food.:o (And I agree with the rating..)

gypsyboy
December 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Have you had personal experience feeding this food? What do you not like about?

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, this is the VF adult maintenance. The ingredients I would never personally feed are in red. The ingredients I avoid are in grey. The good ingredients are in green. The redundant grains, which push the grains above the meat on the ingredient list when they are pieced back together are in orange.

Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Linoleic Acid), Beet Pulp, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Linoleic Acid), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flax Seed, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic, Dried Cheese, Chondroitin Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid

And for the enhance... Adult regular:

Ingredients
Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Ground Corn, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Flax, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Liver Digest, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Copper Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (a source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite

In the first food, three kinds of rice pieces means there is more rice in the food than chicken. Dried egg product is not for human consumption/damaged/rotten eggs (ew). Brewer's anything in dog food is a by-product of the alcohol industry. The nutrients have mostly been stripped out already. Beet pulp is a stool hardener. Salt is usually unnecessary if the food is made properly with the right ingredients. Menadione is vitamin K3, banned for human consumption and causes any number of possible health issues.

In the second food, chicken by-products and liver digest are in my "avoid at all costs" category (if I had categories). By-products include the 4-D animals- all of which are in various states of rot/disease. The unnamed animal the liver comes from could be a dog or cat. Same goes for the fish meal- WHAT kind of fish? I want to know. And the rest, I've already touched on.

Oh and corn, forgot the corn. Dogs only digest around 54% of the corn, so 46% of what you pay for in the corn is paying for poop.

gypsyboy
December 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Wow...that sure is a lot of information to digest! What do you prefer to feed your dogs?

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I feed both my dogs Innova regular. Their website is:

www.naturapet.com

Another good website is:

www.dogfoodproject.com

Click on the link "ingredients to avoid" on the left of the page. The other links are very informative as well.

Do not buy any dog food that is available at the supermarket or places like Walmart....it is all poor quality. The best place to find premium quality food is at a pet/feed store. It may cost more per bag but you feed less and you have a healthier dog which means less vet bills.

Good luck and if you have any questions.....ask away. :D

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Depends what kind of doggy, how old, what kind of exercise he gets... :shrug:

I feed Innova Evo RM (red meat), but that's mainly because my dogs are allergic to the world. :o

mafiaprincess
December 8th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I'm feeding Timberwolf Organics and I pray I can get more locally when it's gone, lol.

gypsyboy
December 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for everyone's responses. I was able to do some research on those brands last night and I found some exciting information. The top 5 lab trainers all feed Enhance Professional Athlete! And from what I can gather all their labs have an excellent coat of hair, less stool volume and lots more energy. A friend of mine knows one of the trainers so that information is first hand. These 5 trainers have had sporting dog of the year the last 3 years in a row, so something must be working! I am going to give Enhance Puppy a try and will let you all know what I think about it.

technodoll
December 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM
not because someone is a trainer that they know what a good food is all about... alot of foods sustain dogs all right but that doens't mean it's the best thing for their health. it's not normal for a dog to be "old" at 8, 10, or even 12! it's the cumulative effect of years of processed foods that slowly damage the plumbing, so to speak. a shiny coat is not a reflection of good health: dogs with arthritis and kidney damage can also have shiny coats. Just "food for thought"! don't trust what people tell you. READ the ingredients yourself and LEARN what they really mean. good luck! :dog:

Scott_B
December 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear that. Just because dogs eat and live on a food doesn't mean its great for them. You could eat MacDonald's your entire life. You may exercise and remain in decent health, but just think what you could do on a proper diet! More energy, you'd live longer, have less health issues and be happier! If my pup lives happier, healthier and an extra two years because of the food I feed him, then thats all that matters.

Like Techno said, look at the ingredients..see whats in the food, and why its not good for your pup. When there are healthier foods available, why feed something with less quality?

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but its like trying to argue that eating fast food is good for you. Of course no pet foods are perfect, but when you can make better choices, I encourage you at least do the homework, so you feel confident that your feeding your pup, the best thing you can. :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
December 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Lot of people rave their dogs do amazing on IAMS too. Doesn't mean that the food was actually the best choice. Often it means they dog is surviving and they've never tried anything else.

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Aww, that's sad.:sad:

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 03:16 AM
The top 5 lab trainers all feed Enhance Professional Athlete! And from what I can gather all their labs have an excellent coat of hair, less stool volume and lots more energy. A friend of mine knows one of the trainers so that information is first hand. These 5 trainers have had sporting dog of the year the last 3 years in a row, so something must be working!

The top 5 lab trainers where? And, as technodoll said:

Just "food for thought"! don't trust what people tell you. READ the ingredients yourself and LEARN what they really mean. good luck!

Did you read any of the info at www.dogfoodproject.com ?

I am going to give Enhance Puppy a try and will let you all know what I think about it.

Good luck....After a few years I hope your vet bills aren't too high. ;) Keep us posted. :fingerscr