Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heat

kmjx65
December 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Hello,

So my vet has recommended that Cookie should go through 1 heat because she regularly has discharge after she goes potty 1. The vet called it something like vaginosis :confused: and that it will clear up once she goes through one heat.

Anyway, I have heard from some of my friends that if a female dog goes through heat and you get her spayed, then her personality will change. Is this true? If so, will it change for the worse?

I know there are greater health risks for not getting your dog spayed. I plan to but would like to know what type of personality changes we should expect.

Thanks!

~michelle~
December 7th, 2006, 02:10 PM
ive heard of personality changes but ive never experienced them... the only difference i find is that you dont have to put up with the annoyances of your dog going through heat. and its great for your dogs health as well as controlling the pet population.

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I don't understand how a heat will stop the discharge... Your vet sounds a little "old school" for me.:shrug:

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I have never had a female dog that went through heat before being spayed...I always spayed before the first heat:shrug:

I agree with Prin, I really don't understand how a heat will stop a discharge. If he referred to it as vaginosis, than that is an infection either viral or bacterial, and so either will clear on its own regardless of a heat, or else will need antibiotics...

technodoll
December 7th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Intact bitches are more prone to be same-sex dog aggressive than bitches who are spayed before their first heat (all those hormones..). This trait can stay a lifetime. Also, females spayed before their 1st heat have a greatly reduced chance of contracting mammary cancer in their lifetime. After even 1 heat, the chances are significantly higher. so i would say... get her spayed, get it over with and then you can all relax! :)

heidiho
December 7th, 2006, 02:22 PM
So from reading your other thread "how can i help" it probably is a good thing you didnt take in her dogs in yours is in heat,,

kmjx65
December 7th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Actually I was reading around the threads and I think it's more like something call vaginitis.

I definitely don't want Cookie have an increased change of getting cancer. She's only ~4 months right now. We have a bit of time. I think I will get a second opinion.

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I think a second opinion is a good idea.

Also I believe vaginitis could also be a viral or bacterial infection. So I would ask about that as well. She may need antibiotics.

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Isn't vaginitis some sort of bacterial yeast infection? I'm not sure how having a heat would change that.

And I htink the whole personality thing is a myth... I've never seen a change in personality it either cats or dogs if they were spayed before their first heat. I have seen two unspayed female dogs get into a massive fight though... And one got hurt enough for a lasting fear of dogs to set in.

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 07:44 PM
If she has puppy vaginitis she should be being treated for it. I would get a second opinion and get her spayed once it is cleared up.

I have never seen any change in personality after any of my females were spayed.

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Vaginitis could be from a fungal infection which is yeast and would require an antifungal from the vet, or bacterial and would also require an antibiotic from the vet.

The only reason I could see why a vet would want to wait is if it is a viral infection, and they are waiting for the infection to clear on its own. But if that is the case you wouldn't have to wait until the heat for that.

A vet should be able to diagnose exactly what is going on, and treat it if necessary. More than likely there is no reason to wait until after a first heat.

I know pyometra is a major infection that must be treated by a vet, or else it can become quite serious and one of the symptoms of that is discharge. I am not sure if this can happen in a puppy, but spaying will prevent this from happening.

Please do seek a second opinion and post back with an update.

springermom0406
December 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hunters ~ pyo is usually after the dog goes into heat, and usually not puppies. Well, you wouldn't want it in a puppy thats for sure.

I'd definatly get the pup to a different vet just to be safe. She shouldn't be having any discharge issues unless she is in heat.