Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I go about asking?

papillonmama
December 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM
So I have a neighbor who has a dog. I don't know her very well, except for seeing her and her kids around. We live in a city, and her dog isn't taken for walks, she ties it outside of her front door, this is where the dog pees, poos and barks, a lot. In fact, many of the people in the neighborhood are tired of her dog barking, when I pass by places where people are standing around they're always telling the dog to be quiet and yelling at her to "get rid of the dog".

Just to say, the dog isn't tied out ALL the time, it's often inside, but never out for walks. I would like to walk her dog, but am not sure how to approach her. I thought about putting these comics http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31163&highlight=unchain+dog up on the poles around her house, but thought somehow offering to walk him would work out better.

Any suggestions or ideas would be most appreciated.:)

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM
If it was cowardly me, I'd leave a note in the mailbox saying the whole neighborhood is fed up.:o

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
If you talk to her at all, maybe you can bring it up in a round about way and say how much you enjoy walking dogs...then go on to say, since you don't have the time to walk yours, can I walk him once in a while:shrug:

LibbyP
December 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I would make up a flyer and put it in her mailbox, Looking for dogs to walk, that you love dogs etc... explain that it's a hobby and not a business adventure as she might not have the $. Or looking for a play mate for your dogs in the neighbourhood, if your friends with the other neighbours around her home put one in their mailboxes as well so it doesn't look like your pointing her out. Or you could just walk up to her door and ask if her dog is friendly and could it come over for a play date so it'll help yours tire out :shrug:

mafiaprincess
December 8th, 2006, 03:21 AM
We have a lady around the corner I've known most of my life. I like her a lot.. They don't walk their golden.. like ever.. Product of a byb, but the lady was apparently her friend so I'd never saying mean about it. She told me her dog enjoys laying by the screen door and watching the world go by and that she doesn't need walks.. Thing is she barks at everything that goes by.

I think she'd be a less spastic dog with some exercise.. but she's lacking on manners, and has guarding/ snapping issues when trying to take stuff away from her.. Decides things are hers. Oh and is very very very dog aggressive..

I couldn't come up with a way to ask if I could walk their dog. "Uh I was going to leave my dog at home today.. can I walk yours?" Harder to explain why when the dog can't handle other dogs.. And she almost needs a higher exercise level to burn off energy.

Not entirely sure I'd want te responsibility of trying to help a dog with that many issues. I don't think I have enough experience, but I fully understand where you are at. I thought for like 2 months how to ask without sounding weird..

mummummum
December 8th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I used to walk my neighbour's Belgian before he passed on and it was exactly those circumstances (in fact, she now has a female Belgian and it is AGAIN, exactly those circumstances ~ now I'm wondering if you are in my neighbourhood!). One day, I had my grrrrls with me, she was out in her yard and I just asked her if he would like to come for a walk since we were out and about anyway and it was such a lovely day. From that point forward I just knocked on her door and asked if he wanted to go for a stroll with the grrrls. No explanation or justification needed on either side, kept it nice and loose ~ no promises about when I would come next so there was no implication that I expected anything. Worked out fine, I'm just really sorry she got herself another dog.

papillonmama
December 9th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Wow, see, that's exactly it mafiaprincess, I want to make sure other people didn't think it sounds too weird, so thank you everyone.:o

Wow, wouldn't that be such a coincidence if we were talking about the same dog mummummum.

LibbyP good idea to make it like she would be doing me a favor, very clever.

I'm gonna get up my courage and ask.:o

Thanks all:)

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

mummummum
December 9th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Wow, wouldn't that be such a coincidence if we were talking about the same dog mummummum.

Okay... well, here's the test ~ did you ask me about Declan's "other than Border Collie" breed mix today? Cuz I saw the only woman I see with a papillon on a regular basis out and about today. So, if that's you ~ it's me !!!

papillonmama
December 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Oh, nope, that wasn't me, but maybe one day. lol, we should make up a secret pets.ca code, "I spend my evenings on pets.ca!"

mummummum
December 10th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Oh well ! That would have been pretty strange though !!