Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Call Again And I'll Run Amok

Lukka'sma
December 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I have phone calls daily (sometimes two or more) from every company known to exist wanting me to purchase their services. I can't take it any longer!!! Sorry to anyone here that works as a tele-marketer but next time you get my machine leave your number and I will call you back either between 5-6p.m. when you are busy trying to put a meal on the table, or after 9p.m. when you really don't want the phone ringing. Now I am the first to admit that I don't belong to MENSA, however, I am smart enough to pick up the phone and contact a carpet cleaning company if my carpets need to be cleaned.

jiorji
December 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM
get caller id and don't answer when they call. That's what I do:evil:

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I have phone calls daily (sometimes two or more) from every company known to exist wanting me to purchase their services. I can't take it any longer!!! Sorry to anyone here that works as a tele-marketer but next time you get my machine leave your number and I will call you back either between 5-6p.m. when you are busy trying to put a meal on the table, or after 9p.m. when you really don't want the phone ringing. Now I am the first to admit that I don't belong to MENSA, however, I am smart enough to pick up the phone and contact a carpet cleaning company if my carpets need to be cleaned.

I have a friend who works for a call centre, and she filled me in on a little secret. When they call, tell them to put you on a "Do Not Call" list, and they will do so, and it should really cut down on the amount of calls you wil receive.

jessi76
December 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
here in the states we have a national do not call list. it's online, you just sign up, and you're on the list. IF a company calls you after that, you tell them you're on the do not call list. if they continue to call and you report them, the company can actually be fined.

I signed up w/ my home number and my cell number. if they call my cell, I simply report it to my cell company, so I'm not charged for the incoming call.

I also check my caller ID, screening out those "private" or "unknown" numbers. if it's really someone I know, I'll pick up after my machine grabs the call.

Rick C
December 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM
We get about 7-10 telemarketer calls a day . . . . we have a keen call display so we don't bother picking up.

But still, you might take the Jerry Seinfeld approach and ask them for a return phone number so you can call them back when they're having supper.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

~michelle~
December 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
i just got rogers home phone and they have it so private or unknown numbers cant call my house..... i was getting sick of telemarketers.... although i find it amusing when they call for the mister or misses of the house...i tell them they've died, that shuts them up!

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
What I do is just figure out the one sentence answer that turns them off right away.

"Clean your furnace ducts, ma'am?"
"We heat with baseboard heaters."

"Clean your carpets, ma'am?"
"We have wood floors."
"What about apholstery?"
"We only have wicker."

"How about this introductory credit card offer?"
"Are your collection agencies mean?"

You know, scare them away.:evil:

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I got a really funny story about that. A call centre called my parent's house, and my brother picked up the phone.

They asked if he ahd time to listen to their offer, he said no...the dog just did a number 2 on the carpet (We don't have carpet, btw, and the dog did not do this, lol)
So the lady on the other end said, okay I'll call back in 5 minutes
To which he replied, No I don't think so...its a big dog:eek:

We laugh about that all the time:D

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM
lol that's funny.:D

Kristin7
December 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Hilarious, love it!

In Indiana we have a state-wide 'no-call' list and I'm on that. Still, sometimes get calls from people selling stuff or asking for $. Not nearly as much as before signing up though. I also get a lot of bill collectors and such calling. Apparently the person who had my number before me is some type of crook. Sometimes they think I'm hiding him and get rude, at which point so do I and ask to talk to their supervisor. Someday I'll get his new number and start giving it out...

~michelle~
December 7th, 2006, 01:59 PM
i used to be a telemarkter ( i was 16 and where else at 16 are you gonna make 9+ $/hr). i was ok with the people saying no, or making lame or funn excuses. but i hated when people were rude. i had people threaten me (it was kinda funny though, because older men would threaten me and i;d say did you realize im a 16 year old girl) or theyd get really out of sorts and start screaming at me.... although telling someone i had their name address and phone number right in front of me and asking them if they really wanted to piss me off would usually shut them up (we obviously didnt have recordings of our calls)

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM
oh, there was also that audio clip somebody posted a while ago where the guy pretends to be a detective at the scene of a homicide... Remember that?:D

Stacer
December 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I wish canada had a national do not call list. Toronto must be the worst city for telemarketers and companies that leave pre recorded messages on your voice mail.

Once when the Toronto Star called to see if I wanted to buy a subscription I told the girl that I was illiterate after she had asked me for the 10th time why I didn't want to subscribe and all the benefits of having the paper delivered right to my door. That shut her up, ya. I haven't received another call from the Toronto Star since.

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM
omg, newspapers are the worst! One French one here called and I said, I already get the English one, but he wouldn't let up. "Oh, but this one only takes a half hour to read!" What a bunch of <beeeeeeep>. http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/boese/zeter01.gif

HunterXHunter
December 7th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I read/heard somewhere before that the best way to have yourself put on a no-call list is to give dump replies that just don't make sense...

"Would you like a free estimate on your windows and doors?"
"Uh, yeah, I would like a large pizza with extra cheese and bbq sauce instead of tomato sauce"
"Uh...huh?"
"Oh, is it free if it's not here in 30min or less?
*other end hangs up*

:D

Bearsmom
December 7th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I've told window selling companies that we don't have windows, and told a carpet cleaning company we don't have floors. They've both never called back.

We also have a "recycled" phone number and continually get calls for the previous phone number holder who obviously hasn't paid their mastercard in 10 years. Persistent little buggers, they just don't believe we're hiding them in our basement or something!!!

erykah1310
December 7th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Kinda funny this thread pops up today... I stayed home most of the day and im not kidding but the same telemarketing company called here every 15 minutes for atleast 2 hours, Each time I would call back and add my name on the DNC list... This time of year is horrible for telemarketers.

meb999
December 8th, 2006, 06:19 AM
mi no speeeka da inglish

AliSam
December 8th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I wish canada had a national do not call list. Toronto must be the worst city for telemarketers and companies that leave pre recorded messages on your voice mail.

Once when the Toronto Star called to see if I wanted to buy a subscription I told the girl that I was illiterate after she had asked me for the 10th time why I didn't want to subscribe and all the benefits of having the paper delivered right to my door. That shut her up, ya. I haven't received another call from the Toronto Star since.

I love that Stacer. The Toronto Star calls me constantly. We have a pretty good call display as well. Any number I don't recognize, I don't answer. They will leave a message if it is important.