Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hello - I'm new! but posted once, maybe incorrectly

Mikey&Simba
December 7th, 2006, 11:49 AM
:sorry:

so.. . . starting anew

I'm a mommy of two senior (as I am, too) wonderful cats - one tuxedo, the other, orange

I live in upper Manhattan, NY where there are lots of parks and pet-friendly apartment buildings, YAY!

I do have a question re my orange cat who has lost all but his front teeth from cogenital gum disease (he has had dentistry every year to no avail). Now the vet said he'll prob. lose all his teeth, but will still be able to eat.
Has anyone had that experience? I greatly appreciate replies - even just to say HELLO! :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!:)

I have known someone who had a dog that had to get all the dog's teeth removed. The dog's food had to be soaked for awhile before it was given to him, but other than that he was able to eat fine. He lived a happy life after that, happier than before he had his teeth out, imo.:shrug:

Too bad your cat is having such troubles, but good for you for looking after him:thumbs up

Mikey&Simba
December 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM
maybe Simba will be happier, too - especially if his teeth were paining him
but his face looks a bit sunken in so his expression is NOT a happy one

yes, my "boys" are better fed and get better medical care than I do
but, they do deserve the BEST!

hope we, in the US, will soon get healthcare for all folk :fingerscr

LibbyP
December 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM
No reason to feel sorry, we were all new once :D Hi and Welcome purrrrrr, aren't senior cats the most charming? They have lived(hopefully) being someones devoted companion and it shows in their eyes how greatfull they are to have you. I think he will feel much better with his teeth gone, my MIL used to have a tiny dog who only had his canines and the tiny teeth inbetween(we used to call him a :evil: ) because he could still bite you if he felt like it. He did have to eat canned food for the rest of his life, what did your vet suggest about diet? We'd love to see some pics soon 2x :cat:

Mikey&Simba
December 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM
can I just paste a picture of my "boys" in the body of text area (like here)
noooo - I just tried and it didn't work

how is it done? ok, I'm uploading from my computer a pix.
YAY! it worked -

meet my 12 yr old boys:
the left is "almost toothless, Simba" - the right is "Tuxedo Mike"

that was my Halloween, scary-eyes postcard pix

what a great site!

LibbyP
December 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Ya Hoo I see them :evil: eyes and all, very handsome boys you have, you didn't say 'Simba' was a spotted orange boy(I have a soft sot for orange boys) and a bigger soft spot for older kitties :cloud9:

Mikey&Simba
December 7th, 2006, 06:48 PM
did they SCARE you?:eek:
I was told that Simba was part Bengal - that his mom was Bengal, his dad, Siamese. He has the voice of a Siamese - he drives everyone nuts when he opens his almost toothless mouth and starts braying for food!

Tuxedo Mike has feline herpes - he's on daily L-Lysine to keep it under control

sooooo - I'm taking care of my kitties like I wish my grown-up sons will take care of me some day :)

you have cats & doggies? do they run free where you live?

I live in a 3 rm apt so my cats are indoor - sometimes I feel really bad about that

heidiho
December 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I live in a 600 square foot condo and my kitty is happy as could be,i just make sure she has lots of stuff to keep her entertained while we are at work,and play with her from the time i get home til i go to sleep,yeah i wish she had more space buy hey she has a great loving home..

LibbyP
December 7th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I have 2 crazy Siamese so I know very well about their 'talking' and I just love it. There is nothing wrong with cats staying indoors, it's by far the healthy way to live, Ruby our middle aged cat does come out into the backyard but she doesn't ever leave (she goes out with the dogs and comes right back in with the dogs) I think she thinks she is a dog somethimes:crazy: I also have a senior hound 'Hoover' who just turned 13yrs and a English Mastiff 'Libby' who will be 5 at the end of Jan. We own our home and have a fully fenced yard for the dogs and cat, our youngest cat 'Max' does not go outside, he'll take off like a shot to never be seen again.

Mikey&Simba
December 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM
but, then, why do did always try to escape :evil:

I do have harness and leash and they know the word "OUT"
and run to my apt door and move their head and front legs so I can easily put the harness on them.

They seem so happy to be able to walk in the hallway, smell everyone's door mats. If they are REALLY LUCKY they will see Pandy, the chihuahua.
I bought a pet stroller to take them outside to the park, but then I thought what they don't know won't make them want more of it.

Am I correct? or :crazy:

LibbyP
December 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I have no idea why cats feel the need to make the great escape? Maybe because they are really :evil: creatures that like to drive their owners :crazy: LOL What floor apt do you live on? IMO if they like their harnesses and are used to outside noises, up-to-date on vacc. and it's a nice sunny day why not take a chair/ blanket and have a nice afternoon sitting outside some place quiet, thats just MO others might dissagree.

chico2
December 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Purrr,thank's for the pics,Simba and Mike look soo comfy and happy:cat:
I am sure Simba will be fine toothless and have a charming smile:D
+he'll get to eat all that yummy canned food.
Many cats are perfectly fine as indoor cats and love to sit on a windowsill looking outside at the world.
IMO,if you live in the city and took them outside for a walk on a busy street,it would scare them to death,they might even wriggle out of their harnesses..
My 3 cats love to go outside,even wait for us to put their collars on,but only in our fenced backyard and when we go back inside they follow like little sheep:D
One girl here,Cyber Kitten,has a stroller for her Siamese cat,all closed in of course and takes her cat for a walk,I think that is a great idea,as long as there is no way for the cat to escape.

Skryker
December 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Welcome, purrrrr! Those are good-looking boys. I have an 11 year old tabby girl (as well as 2 lab/rott pups). She's an indoor cat these days after being a stray 10 years ago. :D She doesn't often want back outside! Maybe twice a year she'll go outside on a harness for about 10 minutes. Usually the first good gust of wind convinces her she's not missing anything out there.

Mikey&Simba
December 11th, 2006, 10:58 PM
You'd think, living in a big city like New York, I'd be able to have exchanges re my cats and their behaviors and get advice! But, everyone is running around - so busy just trying to take care of their families and work enough to be able to pay their rents
(I obviously don't live in a "rich" neighborhood)

Luckily I have 3 friends who have cats but none of them have ever put a harness on them or took them outside.

I live on the 4th floor of a walkup apt bldg - I have the cat stroller but it's too heavy for me to drag it up & down the stairs. I'm waiting until I move to a lower floor :thumbs up

You are right, the noises of the street would probably be too, too much for them to be outside.
But, my question is also philosophical = is it better that they don't know?? If they'd like being out wouldn't they MEOW all the time to go out.

If I had a backyard that would be a lot simpler! :grouphug:

Mikey&Simba
December 11th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Ahh! my question was answered by Skryker, whose former stray girl only wanted to stay outside for minutes at a time, a couple of times of year!

I also heard about a cat on a leash (in my neighborhood) being attacked by a dog! :yell:
and the cat owner, trying to save her cat, was bitten by the dog!!

so thanks, everyone - I have my answer now

I have to move to a lower floor, with my own backyard or patio!!!! :cloud9: