Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spay wound stiches

dwapachee
December 7th, 2006, 09:18 AM
hello all,

We adopted our dog from the local shelter on October 9, 2006. We took her to the vet for a checkup 1 week later and he noticed that she had been spayed about 2-3 weeks b4 seeing her (of course the shelter did not tell me that, or anythign else about her including how long she had been in the shelter, thank god we came along and rescued her). Anyway, the incision got infected and we had her on a round of antibiotics, they are now done and she has a cone on to stop the licking. Now that we have the licking under control, and I have done the anitbiotic and been putting polysporin on the area, it is finally healing, looking much better now.

My questions is, now that it is almost healed, I can now see 2 loops of I am guessing the stitches from inside now hanging out, I do not want to pull them, I dont want to hurt her or cause any internal damage by doing that. I can take her back to the vet, but the vet visits are getting expensive and I just want to know whether I should worry about this or if they will come out on their own....any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!! Danielle

erykah1310
December 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I Have always had to return for suture removal with my pets, but that is included in the cost. Since your vet didnt do the spay im not sure of which route would be best for your pocket. The shelter should have informed u of all of that and arrangements really should have been made. However should haves dont do any good right now do they???
Maybe call your vet and explain to them in detail, it has never taken more than 5 minutes for any suture removals my fuzzies have had done. then again there was never any infections....
Call and check that s your best bet i think.

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah I think that most vets will not charge you for this. When Hunter sees the vet for a follow-up to something he has dealt with in the last little while, it doesn't charge a thing. :shrug:

I agree with Erykah, a phone call will tell you for sure. They may be dissolving stitches that aren't dissolving properly, and if so, she really does need to see a vet or else it may get infected again.

dwapachee
December 7th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback, that is what I was thinking as well...I will call her vet this afternoon....unfortunitly because this procedure was done before we adopted her the vet will charge for this....just very frustrating as you would expect that a shelter has their best interest in mind and would therefore provide her with adequate case...it was very irresponsible of them to not tell me that she had had this done within 2 weeks of us taking her home:mad: , but I could rant forever on this one..

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback, I will call the vet today....

Danielle

brandynva
December 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Why not call the shelter and find out where she was spayed. Maybe they will look at it and not charge you.

rainbow
December 8th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I agree.....that's what I would do.