Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clothes for larger dogs

erykah1310
December 7th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Im at my wits end... no matter where I look I cant find a coat that fits Kita:frustrated: She needs one, badly. I almost found one yesterday... but her chest was too deep for the coat... and it was so cute:frustrated:
Why is it that big dogs have to look mean:shrug: Petsmart had these adorable collars too but the biggest size they had was 22", she needs a 24 ( I know its not a far cry off, but I really have a pet peeve with the end of the collar hanging out all willy nilly, not fitting in the last loop):frustrated: THe only collars i have found that actually fit her have spikes or are harley davidson double spiked ones.:frustrated: :frustrated:
Back on coats now though, i would order one offline, but i really wanna be sure it fits... right now she has to wear one of my old hoodies to go out, it looks silly and she hates it. I thought the Roots hoodies for dogs would fit her but NOPE! too tight too.
HELP!!!!!!

vfrohloff
December 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Do you happen to live in the Montreal area? If so, I know of a lady who makes dog coats. She did the coats for my 2 Greys, made to measure.

jessi76
December 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM
http://www.ruffwear.com/Products/dog_coats

I LOVE these coats. my dog has one, and it's FABULOUS quality. even comes complete w/ reflector stripes on the sides. well worth the money IMO. fleece lined, and covers the chest area. has adjuster straps. and very comfortable. my dog Tucker absolutely LOVES it. he can easily move, run, play in it.

There is a sizing chart to measure for a good fit.

ETA: I have the K9 Overcoat one.

Hope this helps!

erykah1310
December 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM
No im in Northern Ontario. ( bout 4 hours north of Toronto)
I will check the link out right now, thanks jessie

pitgrrl
December 7th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I had a horrible time finding coats for my two. I swear I bought and returned half a dozen coats. I finally found coats from www.chillydogs.ca which are awsome and adjustable, so even if your sizing is a bit off, it'll be fine.

OntarioGreys
December 7th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I had a horrible time finding coats for my two. I swear I bought and returned half a dozen coats. I finally found coats from www.chillydogs.ca which are awsome and adjustable, so even if your sizing is a bit off, it'll be fine.

Julie should be able to fit you up with a coat, she is up near Ottawa

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Or better still, just get a new dog. :D There's a newf here with a very slender neck and body....;)

Seriously, I can't imagine- I'm on the edge. Boo's an XL in everything and if he ever gets bigger (which he shouldn't), then he'll be over.

Ebay has some collar stores that make them to specific dimensions... :shrug:

jiorji
December 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM
erykah i think this is the time to start sewing and knitting;) I can hook you up with some great doggie coat patterns you can make yourself:thumbs up

mummummum
December 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Don't forget about this site pitgrrl posted awhile back. http://www.k9topcoat.com I'm saving my pennies for an arctic fleece for Ceili. It looks like it will cost $102 Cdn plus whatever taxes and duties apply. I like the fact that it will cover her hip and knee joints. The waterproof suit looks pretty darn handy too although it doesn't appear to cover the hips.

x.l.r.8
December 11th, 2006, 06:29 AM
The Roots collars come in Black or Tan and are very nice, they are expensive but there is a guy on ebay who sells then cheap ($4-5) and they are in 22-26 inch. However I ahve 2 22 roots collars, one needs to be on the last hole with a long tail, the other is second from last hole, htey are both stamped 22 so not sure why, I have a 22 and a 24 I can measure for more precise measurements if you want. I had Rileys coat hand made to ensure it fit properly, it was reasonable @ $65 and he seems happy wearing it, I also got to pick the colour and also the fleece lining colour aswell.

mummummum
December 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I just came across this site: http://www.rvrg.com/
Christine used to live in my neighbourhood and her gear is quite popular amongst the locals ~ it's extremely well made, very washable and lasts for ever. In fact one of the doggies on her site has had his coat for about 5 years and it's still going strong ~ and he's an ACTIVE little guy. I've just emailed her to see if she can make one for Ceili who is (of course :( )substantially larger than her sizing charts. I'll let you know how we make out Erykah ~ I'll always buy Canadian wherever possible and I'm confident in her gear which is always an issue with online buying. Although now that we have entered into some weird multilateral trade agreement with British Columbia on winter weather :D super-warm coats may be a thing of the past in "Tranna.

mummummum
December 17th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Oh well ~ that's a no-go. The biggest size possible is a belted coat in a 30 and her gear is now manufactured by a skiwear company out of LA.

t.pettet
December 17th, 2006, 05:15 PM
A very good friend and animal angel (loved by her 3 large dogs and 3 cats) knits sweaters for dogs, from size XS to XL. The XS are $9.00 up to $27 for X-Large. You can order whatever color you want with different colour trim or solid through-out, crew or turtle neck. They are warm, cozy, cover the entire dog from neck to tail, machine-washable and don't lose their shape or durability. She sells them at craft shows and has postings at vet offices and some pet stores. I bought 2 for Joe and 2 for Tiffy. Joe's is multi-colored stripes and blue with white trim, Tiff's is purple and the other pink with white trim. So cute!

mummummum
December 17th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Well, I just ordered Ceili a coat from K9topcoats. Apparently they also sell in a chi-chi boutique in Montreal as well as Alberta. It's the heavyweight waterproof , fleece-lined bodysuit.

Prin
December 17th, 2006, 10:16 PM
ooo what chichi boutique?! :)

mummummum
December 17th, 2006, 10:37 PM
This one:

Le Reveil Du Maitre
5377 Blvd St Laurent
Montreal, Quebec H2T 1S5
Canada
514-490-0202

http://www.lereveildumaitre.com/

Prin
December 17th, 2006, 10:41 PM
ahh, of course! :D

mummummum
December 17th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Oh you know it then ? Have you seen these coats? Please tell me I'm not ordering junk. They don't look like junk ~ but you never know.

Prin
December 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM
lol I know the store, but not the coats... The store sells good stuff though.:shrug:

mummummum
December 17th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Well :fingerscr it is then !

Prin
December 17th, 2006, 10:52 PM
It looks good though. Hope it fits.:fingerscr