Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got a new foster, and the Montreal SPCA (again)

Lucky Rescue
March 5th, 2004, 12:59 PM
A nice lady called us offering to foster (something we need desperately)

She had previously fostered a mother cat and litter of newborns for the Montreal SPCA. She kept them til the kittens were old enough to be adopted,at which time the SPCA told her to bring them back, and that they would get homes for them.

When she asked, "What about the mother?" they told her to bring her back too, and they would euthanize her.:mad:

Understandably, she told them to go to hell, and kept the cat and one of the kittens herself, and adopted out the others.

She sounds like just the right person for us!! She is going to foster the two cats found in a box in the park (in -20 degree weather).

chico2
March 5th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Lucky,I am sure you see a lot of misery and then along comes an Angel like this lady,to restore some of your belief in humanity.
I do not understand how MSPCA can get away with what they are doing,don't anybody care? We are all in the same country after all,but the rules are totally different here,at least in Oakville maybe not in Hamilton,where they were going to kill all those dogs.
The reason we donate money to SPCA is for rescuing animals,not kill them....
I guess you take them one at a time and even if you can only save a few,you are doing a wonderful job,thank's Lucky

Luba
March 5th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Oh that gets my blood boiling which makes my eyes firey red!!

I think this is a blessing though, the lady sounds like she is actually a true kind hearted individual who see's the potential in what others don't.

Spoiled
March 5th, 2004, 06:37 PM
The reason we donate money to SPCA is for rescuing animals,not kill them...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! Why should we donate money if its going to be used to KILL inocent animals? If the animals are lucky enough to be found and fostered, why should we kill them? I agree, there are too many pets in the world, but can't we make a nice world for the ones already living? Why should we have to put the ones who are living to sleep?

LR, I'm sure your shelter is one of the best. It is a no kill shelter, right?;) It sounds like they get quality care!

Lucky Rescue
March 5th, 2004, 06:59 PM
LR, I'm sure your shelter is one of the best. It is a no kill shelter, right

We have no shelter. We are just a VERY small group (3 of us -well - 4 now, counting our newest foster home!) who coordinate the rescue and placement of abandoned animals. We are non profit and every dime from adoption fees, bake sales, etc goes directly to help the cats and dogs.

We NEVER euthanize an animal unless it is painfully and terminally ill, as this is not what we are about. We also NEVER EVER send any of our animals to any so-called Humane Societies here and we dont' ship them out of the province to other shelters either - no matter how long we have them.

To add insult to injury, I got another email today from a branch of the Montreal SPCA, begging US to help save THEIR animals from being killed. They have WAY more resources, room, funds, and volunteers than we do! They also have PAID employees who will not lift a finger to help get homes for these animals. I find this outrageous in the extreme.

I suggested ways in which they might get adoptions - flyers, adoption clinics, etc. and the answer I got is "I don't have TIME to do that." BUT of course, we DO, right?? We don't mind at all doing the job for paid shelter employees.:mad:

Luba
March 5th, 2004, 08:07 PM
OF all the funding they get and they have the nerve to ask YOU for help

I can't believe that! How awful!!

Oh dear what is this world coming to

chico2
March 5th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Lucky,so there must be someone there who cares and is bothered by the kill-rate.What exactly is the problem,do they have too many animals?Not enough HS's in the city of Montreal?
Greedy director,inhumane handlers?
I am surprised they ask you to help,they must know how you feel about them..
I know if at our HS in Oakville,they killed healthy animals they would have no volonteers.

Lucky Rescue
March 6th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Greedy director?

According to some volunteers I"ve spoken with, yes that is part of the problem.

And the volunteers DO storm out in rage and disgust when they see just what is going on there.:(

Luba
March 6th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Sounds like this is a recurring situation...look what happened to me here with the city shelter.

Yet if you expose them, the animals suffer even more because they dont' get the funding they would if people thought they were this great organization.