Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice please - Cat Scratching

Velvet
December 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Hi there,

I was after some advice please. I've just moved here with cat in tow from the UK, am living in an apartment which means she can't go out (am on 3rd floor, did contemplate teaching her how to bungee ;) ) & in the UK she was allowed out, so my problem is this, she's started scratching at the floor at 5am every morning :mad: I have hard word floors & she gets her lovely little paws digging at the end of the floor! I know she's doing it to get me up (which she succeds in doing) then runs round the flat thinking that we're playing! I play with her every night, for as long as she wants but still with the scratching at 5am!

Any advice would be great (I'm guessing I'm not allowed to tie her paws together right ;) tempting though very tempting) I did think about getting another cat so she would have company through the day, but she's 2 now so don't know how well she'd take to that & as I'm at work all day I can't spend the time intergrating them.

Please help, I miss my Sunday lie ins!!!

:pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Another cat could possibly help in my opinion. They would play with each other, and keep each other occupied.

Some cats tolerate getting another cat more than others, so I'm not sure how to tell if your cat would like that or not:shrug:

TeriM
December 6th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Another cat could be helpful and nice company while you are working. She is only two so should adapt fairly quickly. I wouldn't worry to much about the work thing because to begin with they should probably be in different rooms (if you checked there is probably a thread/advice on integrating the two cats). When we brought in our kitten it took a few weeks but they eventually got along quite well.

I also have found that a squirt bottle works wonders! Next time she is scratching squirt her with water and then go back to bed. She will probably get the idea pretty quick.

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I would try the squirt bottle and go back to bed as well. If you give in to her and stay up she'll just continue to do it. :evil:

Is there any way you can secure your balcony so she can go out there? Perhaps get a large wire crate with a top so she can't climb out. :shrug:

I'm sure there are other members here with more suggestions. Good luck and welcome to Canada :ca: and the pets.ca forum. :D

BTW....we'd love to see pics of your kitty. :cat:

badger
December 7th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I'm conflicted about the spray-bottle technique, it seems a little mean...
Go to the dollar store and buy him one of those rough doormats (not like regular sisal doormats, more like indoor/outdoor carpet). If you have a large apartment, buy two. My cats scratch vertically as well (I have an old wooden stepladder, one leg of which is slowly being carved away) but they love their mats.
Buy him some new toys - those little plastic balls with the bell inside make a very attractive sound on hardwood floors. He's probably a little bored.
If you get another cat - good idea - try finding one through a rescue that has foster homes, that way you'll know much more about its personality and will be ahead of the game.

jessi76
December 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I would use a spray bottle too. you don't actually have to spray the cat - aim at the floor where she's scratching. the little splash it causes will be enough.

I love the mat idea! additionally, you can put some new fun things around your apartment for your kitty - a large pot of cat-grass, catnip, kitty toy fishing poles w/ suction cups stuck to windows (so the toy dangles), empty cardboard boxes w/ balls/bells to smack around inside, tin foil balls, feathers, etc... strategically place these items around so she can hunt them! on the spot she's scratching repeatedly, I'd put a mat there, as badger suggested, and if you catch her in the act, spritz the floor near her w/ the water bottle.

Velvet
December 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys, all good advice!

I don't think the second cat thing would work though, as before I moved out I was living with friends & tried to intergrate her with their cats & she was having none of it :frustrated: . But am going to try the squirty gun thing :evil: , she has lots of toys & a couple of scratchy posts, but that's not as much fun as getting me up at 5am :D ! My balcony is secured and I have been putting her out on it, but I think she thinks it's part of the game! As runs round the apartment until I catch her, good job she's cute!!

I tried to upload some pics of her, but my files are too big?? Will try to resize & post them!!