Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy is scratching himself incessantly!

Purely Canadian
December 6th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Hiya guys,

I have a question for you. What sort of environmental things would a dog be allergic to? The reason I ask is because my 9 week old golden has been scratching incessantly since we got him 1 week ago. At first, I thought he was simply adjusting to the collar around his neck but last night the poor animal was just about going nuts digging at his ears (and crying), shaking his head, chewing at his hind quarters, belly, and feet.

I took him to the vet this morning but they could find no evidence of an ear infection, mites, fleas or other parasites so they figure where the puppy has just moved in, he's probably allergic to something in his new environment. But, what on earth could that be? We have hardwood floors and he sleeps in a crate. The only carpeting we have is an area rug underneath the dining room table where he likes to nap (and poop :evil:) once in awhile. He is eating the same food that the breeder has been feeding all along (which I will be changing soon btw).

Can anyone offer some advice? The poor dog is going nuts! The vet said that if it is an environmental thing, he will probably get used to it. If he is still scratching in a weeks time, I have to take him back where they will put him on an antihistamine.

Any advice would sincerely be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Sherry

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM
It may just be the food...:shrug: I'm not really sure what in the environment he could be allergic too, I know there are things, but food would be my first guess. The only way to be sure is to get an allergy test done.

I have a dog who has gone through really itchy times, and when it was one of those times, the vet would give us something to help with the itches.

The worse thing is is that if it is a food allergy, it may take awhile after the switch to notice an improvement.

Also, it would be best to switch to something with ingredients that are completely different from what is in the current food.

What are you currently feeding him?

Purely Canadian
December 6th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I am currently feeding him Purina Pro Plan Puppy - Chicken & Rice. This is the same food that the breeder has been feeding him. I just found out, through this website of course, that the food is pure crap and I have decided to switch it out as soon as I can find a decent premium brand in my area.

I feel so bad for my puppy. He obviously wants to play but has to stop constantly to scratch his itchies. :sad:

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Yeah I know how you feel. Hunter has been through the same thing. But his itchies didn't start until after he was 2.

If your puppy is making himself sore from all the scratching, I would get a vet to give him something now to lessen the itch. Other than that, I have no advice. I really don't know if there is anything that you can do in his immediate environment other than food change.

As for the switch, I would do a gradual switch to something with no chicken and no rice and :fingerscr that that takes care of it. As you are probably aware of, there is lots of excellent advice in the dog food forum abouth this sort of thing.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...Other than going back to the vet to get something to lessen the itch I don't know...

But I do think that if it is an allergy to something he won't get used to it:shrug: Allergic reactions don't usually work that way.

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 12:41 AM
If he is scratching that bad I would just switch him completely to a premium food and add a little bit of plain organic yogurt. One of my dogs was being fed a crappy food when I got him and that's what I did. His poops were a little on the soft side for a couple of days but other than that he was fine.

Pro Plan has corn in it which is one of the top foods for allergies. I would just buy a small bag of something else or better yet see if you can get some sample packages to try. If he's still itchy after you've eliminated the corn then try something that doesn't have chicken in it.

Here's a list of ingredients to avoid:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

Rob n Cody
December 7th, 2006, 02:46 PM
What kind of heat do you have in your home? Some heat sources create a more dry atmosphere than others (electric heat is the worst!!) and if it is different from his breeders house, he may just have dry skin. A little olive oil in his food may help...just a thought