Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chi "vibrating"???

fayths27
December 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hi All,

I just brought Hugo in from a walk and he's under belly was a little muddy. He came in excited as always, ate his treat and then sat down all listless while his upper torso just shook or vibrated. It stopped after a couple minutes and now he seems fine - but what is that? Shivers? I was worried he was havign a stroke or something. But it's so hot in the house! THe heat was on... I dunno. He has a level 3 heart murmur but hte vet said he's young and there's nothing to worry about for now.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. He just scared me to death for a minute.:eek:

f.

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Sounds like he was frozen.:shrug: Hard to say over the net.

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah I agree with Prin. Sounds like he was pretty cold.:shrug: But it really is hard to say for sure.

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Since he's a chihuahua I would get him a little sweater or coat for this time of year. If he does it again after wearing it then I would check with your vet.

fayths27
December 7th, 2006, 07:55 AM
I will have to get him a sweater. His foster mom said he was fine up to -25 C. (he's a terrier x) and that's why I didn't think it was shivering. I called his previous foster mom last night and said another one of her chi/terriers does that when the pressure changes and knows a storm is coming (he's terrified of storms). She said to just watch it.

He was a little lethargic last night, and this morning he doesn't want treats - which is really abnormal. He usually loses his mind over the thought of treats. Maybe he's just a little under the weather.

He hates those sweaters he has to step into so the hubby and I are going to hit petstores this weekend in Ottawa and see what we can find.

We went to Petsmart on Saturday, and they only had the step in kind or santa suits that tie up under the belly. The hubby didn't want little Hugo running up and down the streets like a little Santa, so that nixed that. Wish me luck!

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 08:22 AM
If he continues to act differently I would have a vet see him. Shivering could also be a sign of a fever:shrug:

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I agree. I'd bring him to a vet or at the very least take his temp.

I highly, highly doubt any small dog can tough -25. They're just not made for that. The little paws freeze long before that.

I've heard of a small dog dying of hypothermia after swimming in warm August water.

Be careful. :fingerscr

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 11:54 PM
If he's lethargic and is refusing treats there is something wrong. I think he definitely needs to see a vet. Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr

fayths27
December 9th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Hi All,

And he's completely back to normal. ;) We've been skipping the walks the last couple days because it's been freezing here in Ottawa, so he runs around quickly in the backyard and we've been playing tug-a-war in the house to burn off hte energy.

We're picking up that coat today or tomorrow. There is no way he can tough -25. We're also going to the vet on Monday to update all his shots - so I'm going to ask the vet a few more questions while we're there.

I really appreciate all the advice. Being a first time dog owner is tough stuff. I feel completely clueless, no matter how many books or articles I read. I guess it just takes experience. On Monday night, we're going for a consult with an obedience trainer (he's a wee bit agressive), so I'm hoping that it'll help our communication and help me read him a little better.

Many thanks,

Faye

rainbow
December 9th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Glad he seems back to normal. Good luck at the vet tomorrow and keep us posted.

t.pettet
December 10th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Your short haired little dog really needs a sweater if he's going outside for any length of time, picture yourself going out without your coat on and if he's showing some aggression then no tug-of-war games or any rough housing, as that will escalate the aggression. Playing fetch with a ball or stuffy would be a good alternative or teaching him some tricks.