Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help from a rescue

Frenchy
December 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I found a dog this morning, as I was leaving for work, this dog was walking by beside a very dangerous road in front of my house. She is a black labrador,1-2 years old,very friendly. I took her in,fed her and had to leave for work. I made tons of phone calls and spoke to the man who does the animal control here (Sherrington),the dog ran away from his place this morning when he unleashed her. He keeps the dogs outside,on his scrap yard ! But says he lets the lab sleep inside at night because she is so sweet.She was found a week ago and nobody claimed her . I didn't want to give him the dog back and offered to place her in a rescue,the man agreed. He means well,but people here still think it's ok for a dog to be outside 24/7. She is probably not spayed , will check that out tonight. He told me she would be perfect for a family with kids because she is very friendly and playful. Is there any rescue that could foster her ? :fingerscr :pray: if so please pm me. Thanks.

jiorji
December 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM
what we don't get a picture??:D

we want a picture!!:thumbs up :o

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 02:06 PM
what we don't get a picture??:D

I want to foster!!:thumbs up :o

Wow, that's very generous of you Jiorji! :)

jiorji
December 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM
*looks around confused*
does copyright infringement mean nothing to you??:frustrated: :cool:

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I read between the lines, that's not infringement of anything.:D

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Go for it jiorji! An excellent opportunity to try out dog-motherhood! Really! :thumbs up

rainbow
December 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I second that.....this is an excellent opportunity for you. :thumbs up I really think you should do it because Frenchy has enough on her plate with all her goldens. ;)

rainbow
December 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM
And, Frenchy, you are an angel for rescuing this poor dog. :angel:

Frenchy
December 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Here she is (don't have a name yet for her) I have a hard time taking pictures of the goldens at night so you can imagine a black doggie :eek:

happycats
December 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Awww she's so cute (what I can see of her) THe first name that came to mind when I saw her was "Dani" . :shrug:

BMDLuver
December 6th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Frenchy, contact Rosie's as they will most likely help her. She's a pretty close example of a lab.

Frenchy
December 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Frenchy, contact Rosie's as they will most likely help her. She's a pretty close example of a lab.

Thanks BMD, I already did , me and Anne often help eachother. I just sent her pics... :fingerscr

badger
December 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
How is it possible that no-one is looking for her? When my neighbour's cat ran away, he did NOTHING (and he is otherwise quite a nice guy). Maybe he didn't really want her.
I hope you can find a niche for this baby, Frenchy. He is sooo lucky, and looks like he knows it.

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Judging by the smile, she's a friendly girl :cloud9: Can't see too much else, though--black dogs are definitely hard to photograph! Is she still playing? Labs are irrepressible! How's the headache?

TMac
December 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Hi Frenchy,

Please excuse my geographical ignorance...where is Sherrington? I'm asking because I know Sharon Harris at Eastern Ontario Labrador Retriever Rescue would likely be able to help if its close enough. I'll PM you her email address just in case.

TMac

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Oooo if you need transport, I'm free these days.;)

TMac
December 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Oooo if you need transport, I'm free these days.;)

If Sharon can take him, tell her I sent you (Kathie that adopted Griffey from her)...I've already let her know I could transport for her. Not sure if you're closer tho, Prin??

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Dunno. :shrug: I'm in Montreal. Where's the Labby rescue?

TMac
December 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Dunno. :shrug: I'm in Montreal. Where's the Labby rescue?

This lab rescue is in North Gower - outside/near Ottawa area. Where is Sherrington, do you know?

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM
South shore of Montreal somewhere. (Off the island, to the south, I mean)

technodoll
December 6th, 2006, 10:57 PM
frenchie, it seems the abandoned souls know the path to your door... there must be a secret "lab society" somewhere that gives them directions :o this sweetheart looks just precious. she is lucky you are there :love:

rainbow
December 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM
She is gorgeous :cloud9: ....it's so sad to think that someone would not be looking for her. :sad:

Fingers and paws crossed that she finds a loving forever home. :fingerscr :pawprint: :fingerscr :pawprint:

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I think Skryker should adopt her. Can you imagine the chaos? :D

Skryker
December 7th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Ha! Skryker would love to adopt her, but Skryker's man would stage a revolt. I'd be in hot water and probably looking for a home for me and 3 doggies:p . Seriously, though, when I first looked at her, all I could think was "OMG, she looks so much like Bronwyn!". Good luck Frenchy! I hope she finds a home soon.

Frenchy
December 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
How is it possible that no-one is looking for her?

Because she was probably "dumped" in our area. People will drive a while to dump their dogs in rural area, they think farmers will adopt any dogs that finds their way on their properties. I think it's my Bailey's story.

Frenchy
December 7th, 2006, 12:23 PM
So I will keep black doggie until Rosie's adoption has a free foster family for her. So I guess I will semi foster her :D she is no trouble at all,so nice with the dogs and the cat,Molly has been playing non stop with her despite being 9 years old ! :thumbs up They haven't break anything in the house yet :fingerscr :D

Hunter's_owner
December 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM
That's excellent that she is fitting in so nicely:)

Just makes everything a lot easier for sure.

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that your house needed a bit more black fur, Frenchy.:D

Frenchy
December 7th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that your house needed a bit more black fur, Frenchy.:D

You're probably right because I'm now officialy black doggie's foster mom ! Now I have to come up with a name (not Blacky!) :confused:

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM
lol Bronwyn.:D

Frenchy
December 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM
lol Bronwyn.:D

Too hard to pronounce in french :frustrated:

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Ok, then Jemma! :D

TeriM
December 7th, 2006, 05:10 PM
See it was fate that poor Winston didn't work out :sad: cause now you have room for the black doggie.

Possible names Sadie, Lulu, Bella #2, , Ebony

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM
That's true, eh, no human names for your doggies... I forgot.

How about ti-Papoute? :D

(kidding)

Skryker
December 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Too hard to pronounce in french :frustrated:

And in English, apparently, since the vet keeps calling her Brown-wyn instead.:D

I vote for Shadow-is that easy to say in French?

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 07:51 PM
But if our fur babies are our kids then they should have human names. :D

Frenchy
December 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I keep calling her black doggie ! :D Too much on my mind to think of a name right now....Sadie ?

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Macie? Suzy? Daniella? Cindy? Rooffy? :D (I suck at this)

Frenchy
December 7th, 2006, 08:48 PM
you try Prin,you try...I suck too ! I so wanted a black female doggie to call her Moon Unit,but it doesn't work :shrug:

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I know more guy names than girl names too... :shrug: My man suggested Jimmy or Jaimie..:D He sucks too, I guess. :D

Rottielover
December 7th, 2006, 08:58 PM
what about mystique...or Maya

TMac
December 7th, 2006, 09:01 PM
You're probably right because I'm now officialy black doggie's foster mom ! Now I have to come up with a name (not Blacky!) :confused:

Yay, Frenchy! We knew you couldn't resist :cloud9:

How about 'Minuit'/Midnight? I probably spelled the french version wrong, sorry. Thought it might be a cute name for a black dog!

TMac

Frenchy
December 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I had a sign.....it's going to be Sadie (who suggested it?) because I just heard Sexy Sadie from the Beatles on the radio.

Frenchy
December 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Yay, Frenchy! We knew you couldn't resist :cloud9:

I'm such a sucker

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Hi guys, well it's been a month now and still no help from the other rescue. I did ask another but still waiting for an answer. TMac,could I have the e-mail adress for the rescue in Ontario ? Thanks.

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
So umm... Why can't golden rescue do it? I mean, it's an exception, no?

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I don't want to ask, other members from our rescue did find dogs at one time or another and they didn't ask the rescue. If she was spayed I could ask for a courtesy posting. But she isn't.

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Golden Rescue doesn't have the means to help her get spayed? That might be why she keeps running away...:o

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
The thing is if the rescue does it for me, they will have to do it for every other members when they find a dog and we wouldn't be a golden rescue anymore (believe me,we rescue people always seem to find those strays!) and people that go on our website are looking to adopt a golden,not a black lab so she wouldn't get too much help in getting a new family as she would with another rescue. And franctly, getting her spayed and keeping her to stay quiet after the operation with 3 other dogs in the house would be too much work for me. :shrug: I really need help right now.

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM
What do you mean by members? I mean, why can't they spay her, and post it as a courtesy listing anyway?

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 05:03 PM
What do you mean by members?

I mean members of our rescue group. And here's another reason why I think she should go to a rescue fit for her ; http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=348494#post348494

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, but isn't that just dumping her on somebody else? You have a fenced yard in the middle of nowhere. IMO, if somebody, like me, got her, we'd be in more trouble than you are with her and she'd get hit by a car a lot faster... :shrug:

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah, but isn't that just dumping her on somebody else? You have a fenced yard in the middle of nowhere. IMO, if somebody, like me, got her, we'd be in more trouble than you are with her and she'd get hit by a car a lot faster... :shrug:

I don't think so Prin. I could have just give the dog back to animal control , where she came from . But I decided to find her a rescue instead. As for getting hit by a car, they drove by at 100km/h here , so no, she is not safer here. And don't forget Prin, I do care for 3 other dogs right now. I am now feeding 4 , at my expense. And I do work 40 hours a week too. It wasn't my plan to keep her that long . And this other rescue "dump" goldens on me from time to time too. But we help eachother. It's not really fair for you to say because I foster for a rescue, I should foster all the strays too.

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Have you tried other rescues in Montreal?

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Have you tried other rescues in Montreal?

I tried 2 of them. There is another one but I don't think they would spay her before her adoption so I rather not ask. Just in case.

rainbow
January 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Aren't any of them even responding to you? Is the one that TMac suggested too far away?

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I just hope she doesn't run away and get pregnant or go into heat in your house with the three other doggies there.:fingerscr :fingerscr :o

And if you need transport, let me know and I'll try to be free.

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I just hope she doesn't run away and get pregnant or go into heat in your house with the three other doggies there.:fingerscr :fingerscr :o

And if you need transport, let me know and I'll try to be free.

Don't worry, she will be tied outside under my watch and that is why I want her in a rescue and spay asap, before she gets into heat. But everyone here is neutered and I would not let her outside alone. Rainbow, one rescue said they would take her as soon as a foster is available. But that was a month ago and I'm still waiting,still "bug" them about it so they wont forget about me! The other rescue still hasn't got back to me.

Prin
January 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Even if your dogs are neutered, it'll be hell if she goes into heat... :evil:

Frenchy
January 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I'll just put a diaper on her and everything will be ok :rolleyes: :clown:

coppperbelle
January 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Frenchy
I am still working on getting her adopted by my friends. The husband is still down east for a funeral and won't be back until Friday. They lost their lab a few weeks ago and although they say they don't want another dog, I don't believe them. This little girl needs them.

TMac
January 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
The lab rescue I was talking about is near Ottawa - Frenchy, I will PM you the email address just in case you can't find a home closer to Montreal. Let us know if you need help with transport or anything. Thanks for looking after this sweetie. :p

TMac
January 7th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Because she was probably "dumped" in our area. People will drive a while to dump their dogs in rural area, they think farmers will adopt any dogs that finds their way on their properties. I think it's my Bailey's story.

That was my Griffey's story. He was dumped in cottage country in Val Des Monts, QC in the middle of winter..wandering around starving before some kind souls who came to check on their cottage took him in and called Sharon at lab rescue!

Frenchy
January 12th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. Lilly will be spayed next Monday and from there, will go into rescue, in a foster family. I will miss her :sad: , but I can't keep them all ! :shrug:

Frenchy
January 29th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks to Rosie Animal Adoption, Lilly has been adopted by a wonderful couple who took great care of their previous dog. Miss Lilly now has a big FENCED backyard in Westmount to play in !!! :cloud9:

Skryker
January 29th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Yay! That is great news for Lilly! I hope she and her new family do very well together. :cloud9:

meb999
January 29th, 2007, 05:41 PM
YAY for Lily!! Wooo!!! http://foolstown.com/sm/ura1.gif

and big hugs for you Frenchy...you must be feeling a little like this --> http://foolstown.com/sm/yar.gif
I know it's hard letting go, but you're making such a difference in these dog's lives...you're an :angel:

rainbow
January 29th, 2007, 07:32 PM
So glad to hear that Lilly has a forever home. :cloud9: Was it the couple that coppperbelle was working on mentioned in post #61?

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yay for Lilly:highfive:

That is great news:cloud9:

Frenchy
January 29th, 2007, 08:06 PM
So glad to hear that Lilly has a forever home. :cloud9: Was it the couple that coppperbelle was working on mentioned in post #61?

No, it's another couple.

TMac
January 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Hooray for Lilly!!!! This is great news, Frenchy! :highfive:

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Yey for Lilly! :highfive:

Good going, Frenchy. :)

Peepmouse
January 29th, 2007, 11:45 PM
WooHoo Lilly!:party: :highfive:

:grouphug: Frenchy, the work you & all the others do for these lovely animals is awesome!!:thumbs up :lovestruck:Keep up the good work!!:D

TeriM
January 30th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Hooray for Lilly. I am so happy she found a good home quickly :lovestruck: .