Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Annual Poll of the Season! Are you looking forward to the holidays?

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I asked it last year, but this year's a new year! :D

Are you excited about the holidays coming?

~michelle~
December 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM
i work on all of the holidays every year so ive become a little bitter

springermom0406
December 5th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I love this time of year. I love being with family and just love the overall happy mood. (Until you go to Walmart to shop that is....)

Byrd
December 5th, 2006, 06:00 PM
It's all good and fun at this time.... the movies, the music, the lights, and decorations, but then it's all over and when it's over, it's over, then we're stuck with January and February! :frustrated:

Jackie467
December 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I like this time of year and this year right after christmas I'm going back to PA to see my family for the first time in 3 years. So I'm excited about that. The only thing is that the holiday's are pretty depressing for me because I really miss my gandfather and I know I'm really going to miss my dad.

brandynva
December 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I love the holidays. My hubby is a grinch, but we enjoy it without him. I decorate everything and make him endure. :evil: But seriously, my kids really get into it, which makes it fun. I have a hard time keeping their gifts from them until Christmas morning. lol I try not to let family stress me. I have issues with my dad and his side of the family but I have resolved to be happy no matter what.

Frenchy
December 5th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I really miss my gandfather and I know I'm really going to miss my dad.

You know what I do every Christmas since my dad died ? A bit after midnight,I go outside,alone for only 1 minute,I look at the sky and say merry christmas to my dad. It's cheezy, but it makes me feel better. It's like a "rendez-vous" with my dad once a year.

Frenchy
December 5th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Do I like the holidays...yes because I get 5 days off for Christmas and 5 others for New Year and get to be with the family. But it's so busy you can never rest...and it cost so much $$$$ :(

LavenderRott
December 5th, 2006, 07:46 PM
No.

And one of these days when I have the time and the heart - I will explain.

jawert1
December 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I'm not huge on the holidays, maybe cuz my birthday is the 24th, but it's too much driving and eating and planning to enjoy anymore.

Frenchy
December 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
but it's too much driving and eating and planning to enjoy anymore.

and shopping and cooking and cleaning .... I hear ya.

meb999
December 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I'm undecided...I'm looking forward to the time off, but at the same time, I would rather spend that time off on a deserted island somewhere....I just don't feel like all the crazy family stuff :shrug:

Rick C
December 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Since I've successfully evaded all Christmas Party and other social obligations so far - save one and I'm working on a good excuse for that one - the holiday season is managing to look better and better.

Carol and I have birthdays within a week of Christmas too . . . . . that's a lot of pressure as well!!!

Really, it creeps up so fast that I only notice it for the relatives showing up that day or ourselves heading out to their place . . . . and then Abby and Keeper and I and Carol taking some full days to walk around the snow clad mountains. I think I might be getting a new back-country X-Country ski package under the tree too. Just a rumour. Gotta make some time for that too out at Shark Mountain.

And the last week of the month is a quiet time to get some business planning done for the new year as another finish line is crossed.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

happycats
December 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I love it because my son is only 5 and still believes in Santa, so I just LOVE to watch his excitement, laughter, wonder and joy! He makes the holidays special:cloud9:
THe other stuff just stresses me:(

Stacer
December 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
i like seeing family and having the time off of work staying at either my parents or the man's parents place and not having to pay for anything for nearly 2 weeks. I don't like the stress of having to buy gifts for everyone and juggling time between our 2 families. I like to give, and I get great joy out of making the people I love happy, but the stress of having to elbow my way throught the shopping malls and deciding what the perfect gift is for everyone is horrible, not to mention the draining of my bank account. Which I did tonight, I was making a debit purchase on some gifts and the salesgirl says "I'm sorry it says insufficient funds" OMG, how embarrassing is that? :yell: So I quickly slapped down my credit card!

Byrd
December 5th, 2006, 09:22 PM
You know what I do every Christmas since my dad died ? A bit after midnight,I go outside,alone for only 1 minute,I look at the sky and say merry christmas to my dad. It's cheezy, but it makes me feel better. It's like a "rendez-vous" with my dad once a year.

:offtopic: I do the same thing every father's day, birthday, etc... every holiday basically, after all even though they're gone it doesn't mean they should be left out.

joeysmama
December 5th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I really ADORE the holidays. I love the music. I love the movies. I love the festive attitude. I love the crowds !!!! I'm a Christmas junkie. And my birthday falls between Thanksgiving and Christmas so I think part of the season is all about ME !;)

I get melanchoy about my dad too. I have an ornament he gave me when I was in college and every year when I unpack the decorations I put it in the china cabinet so it won't break. And I always cry a little. But it's a good cry too because I wouldn't be missing him so much if he hadn't been so special to begn with.

Golden Girls
December 5th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Yes and no. I love the holidays, but they're overwhelming and frustrating, too.

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I usually love Christmas, but the last two years or so I haven't felt the same way about it:shrug: I don't know if maybe, finally, I am growing up:o

This year has been majorly stressful gift shopping. My brother is away, so I have to do all his shopping, I shop for me and for my man, so that is quite a bit to do. I work all day long, and go to my parents most weekends, so the only time I have to shop is in the evenings.

I just can't seem to find enough time to get it all done:frustrated: Yesterday I took a day off work , so me and my man could shop and Ihoped to get a lot done, but instead I was home at 2, in bed with a migraine:(
Oh well, then I decided it wasn't worth it. I would get the shopping done eventually:rolleyes:

Kristin7
December 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Not really looking forward to it. The holidays just don't seem fun anymore and I agree with the deserted island comment. One of these years I'll plan ahead enough to go on a tropical vacation over the holidays...

Rottielover
December 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I voted NO, only put up with it because of my daughter, she loves it, so it is a smile and nod sort of deal,grin and bare it.

BusterBoo
December 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM
When my kids were young, it was great......they are now ages 27 and 33, one lives in NS and one near by me. The one in NS has my grandaughter, but it is too far to travel at Christmas, so we won't see her :sad: My son and wife are expecting a baby in February so hopefully next Christmas will be fun!

But for now....I spend a week cooking, cleaning, baking, more cooking, cleaning, gift buying, gift wrapping, gift mailing and by 10:00 pm December 25th, everyone has left my place and I end up cleaning up for the next day (14 for a sit down turkey dinner). After that it is two more days of making turkey soap, turkey "a la king", turkey pie etc etc.

And they call it a "holiday" :(

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I love it because my son is only 5 and still believes in Santa, so I just LOVE to watch his excitement, laughter, wonder and joy! He makes the holidays special:cloud9: What do you mean still? :confused: Why wouldn't he believe in Santa? :confused: Santa's real.:confused: :confused:

:D

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM
When my kids were young, it was great......they are now ages 27 and 33, one lives in NS and one near by me. The one in NS has my grandaughter, but it is too far to travel at Christmas, so we won't see her :sad: My son and wife are expecting a baby in February so hopefully next Christmas will be fun!

But for now....I spend a week cooking, cleaning, baking, more cooking, cleaning, gift buying, gift wrapping, gift mailing and by 10:00 pm December 25th, everyone has left my place and I end up cleaning up for the next day (14 for a sit down turkey dinner). After that it is two more days of making turkey soap, turkey "a la king", turkey pie etc etc.

And they call it a "holiday" :(

Yes exactly. With all the fun and get togethers over Christmas comes the responsibility of hosting the things. Me and my bf's Christmas day involve staying at my parents for Christmas eve, getting up, opening presents, going to his parent's, opening presents. Then we eat Christmas dinner with his family, sometimes invovles upwards of 20 people:eek:
Then we graciously slip out ;) and go to my house for supper with my parents...a more relaxed event. The worst thing about it all is that Hunter is not invited to his parents for Christmas day dinner:frustrated: So we leave him at my parents.

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Oh, that's what I hate the most. I never get to spend Christmas day with my doggies. They're the ones I love most and they're home alone.:(

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah it really is the worst eh?
Hunter is always involved in activities with my family, but when it comes to family things at my bf's he usually cannot go because his mother is afraid of Hunter doing something wrong, or shedding too much, etc. So when it comes to planning things for the holidays...it just adds to the stress:o

Frenchy
December 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Oh, that's what I hate the most. I never get to spend Christmas day with my doggies. They're the ones I love most and they're home alone.:(

Come to my place then. :crazy: łall doggies are welcome. I told my sis last year to leave the kids home so she could bring both her dogs :eek: I was kidding....they all came. I wouldn't have it any other way. 4-5-6 dogs,hey,it's christmas for me too !:thumbs up

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah, since my dad moved, we're not allowed dogs in his building unless we carry them in. What a sight that would be.lol

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM
That would be pretty funny:D
I can picture it now:D The only thing is, I can almost see another broken nose if it was attempted:rolleyes:

Frenchy
December 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, since my dad moved, we're not allowed dogs in his building unless we carry them in. What a sight that would be.lol

if you still have black eyes from the broken nose,you can always say they are your guide dogs.:D

BusterBoo
December 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM

That is the only good thing about hosting Christmas Day! My pups will be with me, waiting for left over turkey!!! However, we have to leave our doggies alone Christmas Eve, but only for about 4 hours :sad: I

LibbyP
December 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
I LOVE the holidays and Christmas ,lights,music,smells, the works. It makes it really fun when you have little ones who cannot wait and have a ton of ideas how mommy and daddy can put up the lights(this year she wants to cover the WHOLE yard and house, we'd look like the Grizwalls:eek: ~ wouldn't miss our house thats for sure LOL) This year however I am not looking forward to anything to do with my family(you can read in another post~ pls reply with any tips) Shopping this year was fun, I started really early to miss the rush, having to shop for 18 nieces/nephews/cousins under 12yrs is fun but trying, all I have left is stocking stuffers ~What are you talking about NO santa? The family all went down to watch the Christmas train come in last night it looked wonderful, to see it coming with all the lights, stops and then one of the cars opens up and a live band sings for awhile, it was a good time.

Bearsmom
December 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM
This will be our first Christmas since mom died in October, so it'll be tough, but we're trying to keep the excitement up for Robbie.

Skryker
December 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Since my parents moved out of Cornwall, and finances are too tight on all sides for us to go there or them to come here, it's going to be very quiet and subdued this year...and my (step)daughter is going to her mother's on Boxing Day:sad: . So-not enough family crap this year, and that's the part I like the best. On the plus side, I don't have to leave my doggies! :thumbs up

heidiho
December 7th, 2006, 07:33 PM
50 /50 Happy because i am with the greatest guy and new kitty in Maui..Sad because it is pretty much first x mas away from Arizona and my mom just had a pacemaker put in and i cant be there to help her, when this time last year they pretty much saved me from dying (drugs) so i am torn