Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Alright ladies, need some household cleaning advice...

jesse's mommy
December 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
So most of you know my parents are coming this weekend so I've been cleaning. I was cleaning the room they are going to be sleeping in (Jesse's Room :D ) and as I stripped the bed, the mattress smells a little. Not smelly like something died or anything like that, but just because it's rarely used -- kind of dusty smell to it if that makes any sense at all. So I asked honey to get some of that "neutralizing spray" on the way home. Has anyone ever used it? How does it work? Is there anything else I should use? Any suggestions?

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Fabreze? It works, I guess, but the smell of it is pretty pungent, IMO... Have you tried vacuuming it?

brandynva
December 5th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I wonder if you were to sprinkle some baking soda on it and then vacuum it off after a day or so if that would work. At least then it wouldn't be like you are adding another odor to it? I don't like the frebreeze smell either, Prin.

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
oo that's a good idea. Arm and Hammer even makes sented baking soda things for carpets. You sprinkle it on, leave it for a half hour or so and vacuum it up. :thumbs up

jesse's mommy
December 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I'm calling honey right now to ask him to pick that up for me. Woo Hoo! I'm not crazy about febreeze either. Not just the smell, but it's a temporary fix. I want something that's going to pull the stuff out and I think the baking soda will do the trick. :thumbs up

~michelle~
December 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM
baking soda should work. also to give it a nice fregrance, try putting a mild sented dryer sheet under the undersheet. it gives it a nice upscale hotel fresh scent. and having it under the sheets makes it not too pugent.

brandynva
December 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I like that idea too!

jawert1
December 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I have the 5lb bag of Arm and Hammer from Costco, since I use it everytime I vacuum. Perfect for yanking smells out, even on the futon/couch that Simon and Peaches sleep on when I'm not looking :)

Frenchy
December 5th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I'm calling honey right now to ask him to pick that up for me. Woo Hoo! I'm not crazy about febreeze either. Not just the smell, but it's a temporary fix. I want something that's going to pull the stuff out and I think the baking soda will do the trick. :thumbs up

I would start with the arm and hammer stuff and finished it off with tome febreeze :shrug:

hazelrunpack
December 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I have the 5lb bag of Arm and Hammer from Costco, since I use it everytime I vacuum. Perfect for yanking smells out, even on the futon/couch that Simon and Peaches sleep on when I'm not looking :)

Hmmm...we have a futon/couch and a love seat that are continually occupied by the Pack... I may have to get me some more baking soda and try this out! course, if I get too Suzy Homemaker and really whip things into shape around here, hubby will think he's got the wrong house when he gets home! :crazy:

Hope you have a great visit with your folks, JM!

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 11:52 PM
lol I wonder if you should leave the dusty smell as is, so at least you KNOW what they're going to complain about first (they won't catch you off guard).:D

rainbow
December 6th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah....and then maybe they won't stay as long. :evil:

normag
December 6th, 2006, 09:46 AM
When I change my bed I like to sprinkle a little johnsons baby powder on my sheets, (always loved the smell of new babies)

TeriM
December 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM
You could also try spritzing a lavender linen spray on the mattress. I actually sometimes use that on the dog beds.

papillonmama
December 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Better late than never,
just in case there's still slight funk, use the baking soda, then leave the box open under the bed in some discreet place, and then get your honey to help you flip the mattress.

Good luck:)

jesse's mommy
December 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM
So I used the baking soda and it helped a lot. Thank you so much. I opened the window too so I could air it out a bit too. Just to be on the safe side I plugged in a vanilla scented "air wick" thingy. I have to keep the door shut though because this is "Jesse's Room" and she likes to pull the covers down and sleep between the sheets. :D

Prin
December 7th, 2006, 12:37 PM
lol that must be so funny to see.:cloud9:

jiorji
December 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM
this thread is full of profanity....CLEANING...VACUUMING......my goodness...I wonder how the mods missed this:shrug:

i'll have to clean up my place too before my parents come visit, but well nothing's clean enough for my mom as she always revacuums and recleans off everything when she visits.:frustrated: