Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help puppy ate pill

renae23
December 5th, 2006, 02:31 PM
my 10 week old puppy ate a adhd pill that my daughter dropped, adderal 15 mg. shes acting ok and i called the vet and they just said to keep an eye on her what do you think?

Angies Man
December 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I looked it up, it's an amphetamine. She may get quite wired for a while. Or perhaps not, hard to predict how a canine might metabolize this med. I guess for now I'd keep a close eye on her--and after hours, have the number for the Emergency vet available (or set something up with your vet's office in case she need care.)

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I would just watch your dog's breathing and listen to its heart as often as you can. Looking at the warnings for the meds, the most important side effect is related to the heart.

http://www.adderallxr.com/assets/pdf/prescribing_information.pdf

~michelle~
December 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM
keep a very good eye on your pup monitor everything. the way she eats, sleeps, drinks, poops, pees, watch for anything out of the ordinary monitor her heart and for signs of tummy pains. monitor for at least 48 hours, since the pup is 10 weeks old, she is a fraction of the size of your daugther (i am assuming) so this could be a very lg dose for such a small pup.
please for future reference pop your daughters meds for her. kids can be clumsy (well so can adults, but kids more so) or have your daugther make sure the dog is in a separate room when she is taking her pills.

renae23
December 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM
She was a little wired for a while, but shes back to normal and has acheck up next week just in case, tks to all who responded.