Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

9 Week puppy eats his feces!

Purely Canadian
December 5th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Hi guys,

We finally got our puppy, an English Cream Golden Retriever. He is just adorable but, WOW, is he bouncy!

We are dealing with typical puppy behaviors such as nipping, chewing, and digging but the one thing that is driving me batty is if Lincoln does a #2 on the floor before I notice, he will eat it! UGH! I have heard the reason they do this is because they can smell the dog food base in the stool. How can I curb this behavior? I am crate training and I am doing my best to get him outside at regular intervals and after eating, napping, and exercising.

If he does his business outside, he will still try to eat his poop but since he is on lead, I just say "Leave it" in a loud voice and pull him away.

Is this normal behavior?

Okay, forgive me but I just have to share a couple of photos. I'm a proud momma :cloud9:

erykah1310
December 5th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Sorry I have no advice what so ever about poo eating :yuck: but I have to say that is one cute puppy!:cloud9:

jesse's mommy
December 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Adorable puppy. We definitely need more pictures. :D

As for the poop eating, what food are you feeding him? Usually feces eating is because of a lower quality food. They poop out the corn and by products and it seems appealing to them when they take a sniff. A higher quality food is digested better and doesn't leave the "appealing" smell in the poop. I'm sure someone else will pop on here shortly that can give a better explanation.

But yes, we've had a few turds fly around the backyard on occassion. Our lovely baby found an interesting turd (I think it may have been cat poop) in our backyard about 8 months ago at 2:00 am that she decided to pounce, roll, and throw around, then she left her little paw prints through the house. :frustrated: Needless to say we weren't too happy about giving her a bath and shampooing the carpets when we had to be up in four hours for work.

Purely Canadian
December 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Adorable puppy. We definitely need more pictures. :D

As for the poop eating, what food are you feeding him? Usually feces eating is because of a lower quality food. They poop out the corn and by products and it seems appealing to them when they take a sniff. A higher quality food is digested better and doesn't leave the "appealing" smell in the poop. I'm sure someone else will pop on here shortly that can give a better explanation.

But yes, we've had a few turds fly around the backyard on occassion. Our lovely baby found an interesting turd (I think it may have been cat poop) in our backyard about 8 months ago at 2:00 am that she decided to pounce, roll, and throw around, then she left her little paw prints through the house. :frustrated: Needless to say we weren't too happy about giving her a bath and shampooing the carpets when we had to be up in four hours for work.

I am feeding the same premium quality food that the breeder was feeding, Purina Pro Plan Puppy (Chicken & Rice Formula). I purchase it from the vet and it isn't cheap. It costs me $23 for a very small bag. I was wondering if the puppy was just hungry but I am feeding per the breeder's instructions (1/2 to 3/4 cups, 3 times daily). It just grosses me out. I literally have to hold the dog back by the collar while I clean it up.

jessi76
December 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I am feeding the same premium quality food that the breeder was feeding, Purina Pro Plan Puppy (Chicken & Rice Formula). I purchase it from the vet and it isn't cheap. It costs me $23 for a very small bag. I was wondering if the puppy was just hungry but I am feeding per the breeder's instructions (1/2 to 3/4 cups, 3 times daily). It just grosses me out. I literally have to hold the dog back by the collar while I clean it up.

purina is NOT premium. in fact, foods that are sold by vets aren't premium. check out the dog food forum here for some good recommendations.

That said, you can keep the dog on leash while it does it's business, and if it goes for the poo - gently, but firmly, say NO! and give a slight correction. Essentially teaching the dog to leave it.

jesse's mommy
December 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Purina? Actually that's exactly why she is eating her feces. It's really not good food at all. Take a look at the food forum here and you'll see a lot of suggestions. Unfortunately vets are not nutritionists and pretty much get kickbacks from their sales. Also, I'm really not sure why your breeder is suggesting it. But if anything, you definitely have an answer to your question. It's the food.

Purely Canadian
December 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Thank you so much guys!! See, I knew there was a reason I joined this forum!!

I am off to check out the food forum.

H.P.
December 5th, 2006, 12:29 PM
He is too cute, does he have a name yet?

We had the same problem when we were on pedigree puppy. We switched to Canidea and the poo eating stopped. Well, she still likes rabbit and deer poo...The food forum has a TON of good info and opinions on the high quality foods that are out there.

Purely Canadian
December 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I really appreciate all of your advice, guys. I plead ignorance. I assumed that if you purchased a food from a vet, it would be a premium quality :frustrated: . I have checked into some of the food availability in my area and it seems that I might be able to obtain Canidae. I am going to make the switch!

jesse's mommy
December 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Make sure it's a gradual change or else you may get a cannon butt. :eek:

jessi76
December 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I really appreciate all of your advice, guys. I plead ignorance.

i think almost all of us have assumed one thing or another before visiting this forum, and now know better. we've all been where you are!

we definately will need more pics of that fuzzy pup.... adorable!

mafiaprincess
December 5th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I really appreciate all of your advice, guys. I plead ignorance. I assumed that if you purchased a food from a vet, it would be a premium quality :frustrated: . I have checked into some of the food availability in my area and it seems that I might be able to obtain Canidae. I am going to make the switch!

A lot of us thought vets knew everything on nutrition why wouldn't they? And that if it was advertised on tv it was good.. We all learned the opposites on both when we started researching for ourselves ;)

Purely Canadian
December 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Make sure it's a gradual change or else you may get a cannon butt. :eek:

LOL...well, my puppy seems to unload his tank quite often (another reaction of the crap I'm feeding him, no doubt). Thank goodness, it isn't soup!

rainbow
December 5th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Well, now that you've had a short lesson on Dog Food 101, I just wanted to say that Lincoln is one super cute puppy and we definitely need more pics in the photo forum. :cloud9:

x.l.r.8
December 5th, 2006, 02:36 PM
"Some dogs may also eat poop. They eat it by trying to recycle minerals that the sugar has destroyed" look at the ingredients of her dogs diet and see how many sugar contents there are, remember beet pulp is from sugar beet (red beets have no pulp) and is very high in sugar.
Stole that from somewhere (probably on the board's here) and have kept it just in case, I was thinking it wouldn't apply untill I saw the first Pur... then I thought, wow another missguided soul, we need badges or diploma's from the 'School of Pets.ca', I was doing the Iams thing for a week and was impressed on how much he liked his food (never ate his poo thankfully) but I got a quick edcuation over here. Just a word of warning, the road you are about to go down is tough and complicated, take your time read and digest (no pun intended) and make your choice from there, get some good glasses as you will be reading a lot of labels and a lot of text, you WILL become a label NATZI, be prepaired for your friends to be bored of hearing you tell them the trash that goes into certain dog foods, try not to start fights in the grocery stores about ol'roy, iams and Purina. Finding a good supplier goes a long way in both advice and your pocket. Many premium brands offer free bags after so many purchased from your retailer. All will offer good quality nutrition, if you have any doubts, list the food you are thinking about and ask us, we may be able to stop you buying big bags of kibble that will go to waste. www.dogfoodanalysis.com and www.dogfoodproject.com are good places to start, however you could list the favourites like this.
Innova
Timberwolfs organics (mythical golden egg for Ontarian's)
Canadie
Merricks
Wellness (some don't do like this to much)
California Natural
Natures Variety
Fromms
Kirkland do a super cheap food that is tollerated by even the most fanatical on the board so if money is an issue that would be worth loking at. There are so many good products out there without the advertising it's not surprising we fall for it, especially when backed up by the vets (be prepaired to visit them less with feeding issues and ilness's relating to it).
So pop on over to the food forum and we'll all see you there. :highfive:
P.S. the pics finally came up (dial up) and what a cutie.

H.P.
December 5th, 2006, 02:56 PM
LOL...well, my puppy seems to unload his tank quite often (another reaction of the crap I'm feeding him, no doubt). Thank goodness, it isn't soup!

LOL. If you don't switch gradually, it might be!:crazy:

tenderfoot
December 6th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Don't forget about raw diet! Even if you do raw with kibble it is still better than no raw at all.

Having said that - if he persists in 'eating at his own diner' then try some pineapple juice in his food. Could change the taste enough to discourage him.

If he gets the poopers from a food change - don't forget about adding canned pumpkin to his diet to firm things back up.

Oh and, WAY CUTE PUPPY!!!!!:thumbs up

TeriM
December 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM

Very cute pup. Frequent poops are also a puppy thing (even on really quality food). It gets better at about 5-6 months.

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Very cute pup. Frequent poops are also a puppy thing (even on really quality food). It gets better at about 5-6 months.

I second that. :D

Purely Canadian
December 8th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I've done some real searching for quality dog food in our area (a very small town) and the only one that I could find was Canidae. I'm currently in the process of switching foods! No more Purina for my baby!

I'm so pleased and thankful for the information you guys have been able to provide me. With the help of everyone here, I know I will become an informed/educated dog owner.

So, THANK YOU!