Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How Much Is Too Much?

Mahealani770
December 5th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Hello everyone!

So Minnie, my sweet kitty, is in perfect health and I've been successful at putting some weight on her since I found her at the gas station. I started out giving her a full can of wet food every day for a week. Then I went down to a half a can every day for a week and now she only gets wet food once in awhile. The vet said to slowly ween (sp?) her off of wet food PERMANENTLY and only keep her on dry food. This just doesn't sound right to me. So I can never give Minnie wet food again? What do you all suggest as far as wet food goes for a cat? By the way, Minnie is between 9 mos and one year old.
Thanks,
~M~

jessi76
December 5th, 2006, 07:48 AM
vet's aren't nutrionists, IMO. I have always fed my cats a bit of wet food daily, in addition to dry. I have 2 cats, and each gets a 1/4 of a can at dinner time. I leave dry food out for them to munch on during the day, but they definately prefer the wet. I haven't had any health issues with my cats on this feeding routine. In fact, my vet always comments on how healthy, shiny, and full of energy my two cats are.

IMO, you should continue w/ the wet food.

Inverness
December 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Actually, I believe it is much better to feed wet food from time to time because it increases the cats' water intake. Many cats on dry food only won't drink enough water and end up having stones or other kidney/bladder/ut problems.:cat:

MyBirdIsEvil
December 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM
In general my cats have had hard food out all day to munch on and get fed a half can of wet food a day (1/4 can in morning and at night).
A kibble only diet isn't really sufficient, it can cause digestive problems and actually is NOT better for teeth. The quality of the food determines the health of your cats teeth more than the hardness.
The reason I leave out kibble all day is because it seems to keep the cats from being hungry all day and prevents them from eating their wet food too fast during mealtimes. If a cat has routine mealtimes of wet food every day they usually won't overeat on kibble because they know they're going to be fed breakfast and dinner. If you leave kibble out ONLY and never feed wet food or just feed wet food at random your cat may gorge itself on kibble because it doesn't know when/if you're going to give it a good meal.
Also, as iverness mentioned, cats on nothing but dry food do not drink enough water which causes problems.

rainbow
December 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I agree.....most cats do not drink enough water and end up getting urinary problems/stones. :( I have two cats and they share a 156g can per day. They also get 1/2 to 3/4 cup of dry twice a day. :cat:

Mahealani770
December 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Ok, thanks everybody! I find that a half a can of wet food really isn't much but maybe 2 tablespoons, so I've been mixing a little of her dry food with the wet to kind of "bulk it up" a little. How do you all feel about mixing? By the way, I leaver her dry kibble down all day long. Her dry food is Felidae and her wet food is Wellness :o

Thanks for the advice!

P.S.
The vet said that if I feed her too much wet food, she'll get fat AND her teeth won't stay clean. :shrug:

x.l.r.8
December 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
"The vet said that if I feed her too much wet food, she'll get fat AND her teeth won't stay clean."
The latest shows there is no difference between soft and kibble as long as you use a quality diet, and you have picked two that no-one would recommend you change if she is doing well on them.

vfrohloff
December 7th, 2006, 07:54 AM
My guys are free fed dry food and given canned once a day. They share one large can (I am feeding 5 with it). I don't mix the wet and dry food, I don't think it's really necessary and may cause them to eat more than normal just to get the taste of the canned food. Dogs will eat the same meal every day and be fine with it, but I find cats seem to prefer a little variety which is why I feed both canned and dry.

jessi76
December 7th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I agree w/ vfrohloff on variety. I also don't mix the dry & wet together. I use the same dry food as a "staple" munchie, and change the flavor of the wet food every other day. I alternate between Wellness and Merrick canned food flavors.

chico2
December 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I agree with everyone and I do the same with my 3 cats and always have, with all my cats over the years.
Mine split one 85gram can morning and night,which amounts to about a little more than a tablespoon each,twice a day,then they free-feed on good quality dry 24/7+fresh water.
I do however have to watch Vinnie,who is getting chunky,he would eat all three dishes if I let him:yell:
Whatever my vet says about food,goes in one ear and out the other...I got one free bag of Medi Cal after Vinnie had his teeth cleaned,she wanted him to eat only M-C.
I pointed out the ingredients to her and there was no way I am feeding Vinnie that junk!
Now she knows better than to talk food with me,unless there is a medical reason for a certain diet,even then I would hesitate...

MyBirdIsEvil
December 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
P.S.
The vet said that if I feed her too much wet food, she'll get fat AND her teeth won't stay clean.

How is she going to get fat if you're regulating the amount of food she eats? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mix wet and dry though, I like to keep the dry seperate because it keeps the cats from being hungry all day while waiting for their canned meal. If you mix the wet and dry it kind of defeats the purpose.