Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weight loss

angeldogs
December 5th, 2006, 03:56 AM
I have a question about weight loss.Jag weighed 81lbs on Nov.10.He looked like he lost some weight.stopped by the vet.for a weighing.he weighed in at 75.7.On the Nov.29.They said he looked good and healthy.I think he's gotten a little taller.Wouldn't that put weight on.He looks like he has lost more weight to me.Any ideas as to what could cause this.His food and exerise has not change.

vfrohloff
December 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM
How old is Jag? Did you weigh him on the same scale both times? I find scales at vet offices can often be off by a couple of pounds. Has he been dewormed lately?

OntarioGreys
December 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM
If muscle tone decreased that could account for some, could be less hydrated that could account for some, may have had a bowel movement before the 2nd visit, was he standing as squarely on the scale, so a combo of things could add up to a loss of a few lbs especially in bigger dogs.

If more weight loss continues then you need to figure out what is going on, which usually starts with bloodwork looking at thyroid function(most dogs gain weight if hypothyroid but a few lose lbs instead), looking for possible cancer cells or any levels out of norm that give hints to what is going on

rainbow
December 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I would be checking his weight at least once a week on the same scale. Also make sure he is standing in the middle of the scale and his leash is loose. If he continues to lose weight then a full blood panel should be done. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 03:13 PM
You didn't get him too long ago, right? He might still be adjusting.:shrug:

angeldogs
December 6th, 2006, 05:58 AM
He was weighed on the same scale.His muscle tone hasn't decreased at all.he looks leaner.they said at the vet he looks good but almost 6lbs in 19 days.He has been dewormed.he will be 18 months on the 18th.and we got him in May this year.he also drinks alot.i just don't like that much weight loss in that little of a time frame.i will get him back to the vet for a weighing on monday.Thanks for the help.

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Oh, sorry, that's true- it was your bro who just got a doggy.:sorry:

Good luck with this.:fingerscr

jawert1
December 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM
If he's drinking a lot, and possibly in place of eating, have your vet check all thyroid and pituitary (sp?) levels, pancreatic functions (insulin production) via bloodwork. Specifically to ask about are Cushings, Addisons, Diabetes Melitus, Psychogenic Polydypsia, Diabetes Insipidus.

rainbow
December 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I agree. I would get him checked by the vet. Good luck and let us know the outcome. :fingerscr

angeldogs
December 8th, 2006, 03:47 AM
he does drink alot but he also still eats normally also.They did a blood panel on Nov.10.everything came back fine.and were to keep an eye on him for signs of addisons disease.i'm going to stop in tomorrow to have his weight checked again.and talk to them.i think he has also lost some muscle mass.but nobody else in the house thinks so.he's my baby and i'm a worry wart ever since they mentioned addisons.

rainbow
December 8th, 2006, 04:08 AM
If his bloodwork came back fine why does the vet want you to watch Jag for signs of Addison's? Was there anything in the bloodwork that leaned toward this?

angeldogs
December 8th, 2006, 05:23 AM
she said because even thou it came back negitive doesn't mean he doesn't have it.that it can come on and off.the symptoms i quess.she said it is a hard diease to detect.when we were there on the nov.4th he had no energy at all.he hates cats.and there were two there and a little sniff and he ignored them.he also had a irregular heart beat.but it was fine that friday 10 for the heart.back to normal

jawert1
December 8th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Next time you're scheduled for the vets, have them run an ACTH test (timed water deprivation). This is one of the key tests used to confirm both Addison's and Cushing's (I've been through this with my pointer). I understand the frustration you're feeling - you don't want to overreact but you know something's wrong, even if the vet can't put a finger on it. Be persistent, often it's not anything clinical that leads to a solid diagnosis, but our own instincts and drive to make sure our furbabies are well.

angeldogs
December 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM
jawert1.i will ask for that test next time i talk to them.nobody else in the house see the weight loss.and last time i was right.i also think he has lost some muscle to.but then again the other people in the house don't think so there also.he has always drank alot since we got him.and the old dad which is a freind said he drank alot.i think believe i read some where that the weims do drink alot.can't remember where i read it.

jawert1
December 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM
A simple test you can run on your own is measuring out his water and tracking it each time you fill his dish. I had to do this with Simon last year prior to his ACTH test, which meant I spent a whole weekend home with him to watch his intake (having 2 dogs meant some fancy footwork). Keeping track of his daily intake and then giving that to the vet will be helpful for them to determine if he's getting more than he should or if he's not taking in enough or if he's right in line :) Good luck, I hope this helps some. It's difficult since they can't tell us what's wrong and sometimes we feel like nuts for noticing things :) Hang in there, you'll get to the bottom of it soon I think.

angeldogs
December 10th, 2006, 12:56 AM
i will try that.we have 2 dogs here also.just hopeing it's just me.he's had no energy loss or anything.the only difference in him is he's more mellow inside now unless playing with ben.outside he's non stop which is normal

angeldogs
December 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM
He was back up to 80lbs which is good.again they said he looked healthy.We are to weigh him after chistmas.

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM
That is great news.......so glad to hear that Jag has gained some weight back. :highfive: Fingers crossed that it continues. :fingerscr

jawert1
December 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Glad to hear he's back up in weight :) He's lucky to have such a watchful eye on him :dog:

angeldogs
December 15th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Yes he is.i only see him a couple hours a day so i notice these things.the vet said disregard the last weighing.i said to the wife and bro he lost weight and the scale said he did.same this time on the weekend he looked fuller and his weight was up.so how can they say just disregard.i try to watch him very close so he don't get fat..