Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dani will be tested!

SARAH
December 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Wednesday evening - will she be able to deal with a cat for 2 hours ?!

I was asked to look after Rottielover's un-furred baby for a couple of hours this coming Wednesday, because Harley is going to his OB class. Good for him, I know from his mom that he loves it and has fun - I suspect she does too.

One idea taking the other during our little discussion, and all of a sudden I'm bringing Dani to meet Harley's cat :) Should be interesting. I wouldn't worry about Sheba behaving with a cat, but Dani ... we shall see, and yes, I will bring the camera should there be a good pic to take that night :dog: :highfive: :cat: lol.

Rottielover
December 4th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Just make sure I still have a cat when I get back, LOL:thumbs up

~michelle~
December 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
good luck...... hopefully dani will be ok with the cat :) i find just letting them sniff, and look, and keeping an eye on them and dogs and cats do just fine together. it esp. helps if the cat has its claws... they show the puppy whos boss;) i have 3 dogs, all adult rescues, and ive never had a prob with the dogs and cats together (mind you i dont let the dogs have a free for all, i take alot of time to let them be unattended with the cats) heres prof that dogs and cats can love eachother, even if the dog has never been exposed to them before....

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yes.....slow and easy does it. ;) Great pic of Moe and Braxton, Michelle. :thumbs up

Frenchy
December 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Rottielover's cat is use to a dog so my guess is he won't run away from Dani. Because dogs like to chase cats , if the cat doesn't run away on them and the dogs are able to smell him,Dani won't be too impress and will leave the cat alone. :fingerscr

Rottielover
December 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
My cat is used to being harassed by harley, no fear of running away, too big too run, LOL, no really he thinks he is a dog.
If I thought Dani would hurt him, I would not have offered for her to bring Dani over for the test. Bellas will have control either way, and if dani seems to be too interested if you know what I mean, my room is there, with a door to close tigger in, all safe and sound.....No worries at all.

SARAH
December 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Also, I have had cats and dogs together before myself, either with the cat or the dog being the first in the house. I don't foresee any trouble tomorrow. But Lewis has always told me NO CAT BECAUSE DANI HATES CATS and I'd love to prove him wrong :D

jawert1
December 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM
But Lewis has always told me NO CAT BECAUSE DANI HATES CATS and I'd love to prove him wrong :D

This right here for me is cause for concern. Lewis knows Dani, knows what the rescue he got her from told her, and if they said no cats, there has to be a reason that isn't just surmounted because it is wished so. My dog Simon was listed as NO CATS/NO KIDS. There was a really good reason for this - he snapped at a 9 yr old boy on one occasion, the boy was standing just a little too close and he freaked. I also found out how much they were right about the cat issue - I had a feral that came around at our old place, and Simon more than once attempted to catch it. I've seen what he's done to things he thinks are prey, it's not pretty. Please becareful here, all the experience with dogs and cats cannot change the simple facts of her history, and I would hate to see tragedy here.

PetFriendly
December 5th, 2006, 06:23 PM
My dog Charley who's been around cats since he came home as pup will try with all his might to engage a cat he knows in play... But, if its a cat he doesn't know, he makes really freaky 'I'm going to catch you and tear you to pieces noises'. So it also all depends on the dog. Could be the dog in questin was badly hurt by a cat, in which case the meeting might not go well... Otherwise, you might be ok.

Frenchy
December 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
For many dogs,it's different to meet a cat when outside versus inside. If Bailey see's one outside he will want to chase it. He never did it with my cats. :shrug:

jawert1
December 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM
True enough Frenchy, but especially with rescue dogs, that's one trial I wouldn't dare put any dog through. Simon's the same inside and out - cats are not something he will tolerate, and the shelter he came from knew this (I really don't want to know how). I respect his reactions as well as their determination far more than bending him to my wishes just to prove someone wrong, especially at a stranger's house with *their* cat :shrug:

Rottielover
December 5th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I do not think that dani hates cats, I think it is more that when she sees them outside, like squirels, she likes to chase them. Either way, she will be on leash in the house, and if problematic, tigger will be confined to my bed for 2 hours, no biggie there. He likes my bed anyways.
I have yet to see any aggression issues with Dani, even seeing a squirel, just, like most dogs....oh oh oh I want to chase.

SARAH
December 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM
And besides, I was running a little late and didn't have time to run home and pick Dani up, so I stayed with the human baby and the kitty with no dog. When Harley came home (with his Mom), he was all over me, licking and drooling and pretending to be a lapdog :) some ferocious Rott he is, lol. Some other time, Dani, cause now I've seen Tigger, and knowing Dani listens to me, I have NO fears at all.

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Plus now you've come home with cat smell on you, so at least that won't be foreign to Dani.

SARAH
December 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM
We went to the Hudson Veterinary Hospital today - first of all, WHAT a nice clinic! The people working there, the clients, their dogs/ cats ... SO much nicer than in the city (no offence)!

Anyway, we'd seen "Babe"#100 on Petfinder and I called yesterday to hear if they still had her. They did, so we went this morning after having had Sheba checked at our vet's again (her sore on her bum is healing nicely, her tail needs some antibiotic pills and a new visit in 5 days).

"Babe" was in a cage at the reception, with 5 or 6 other cats (a beautiful orange and white one called Mack, if anyone wants him, he's 5 months, nice and calm little cat, and the rest various shades of black).

The lady working there took her out of the cage, and I took her letting Dani and Sheba sniff her - none of the three moved a lash! We were then ushered into a room in the back (grooming room as it turned out) and let the three animals walk around together. The one who did make a sound, was Sheba :) who barked at the kitten when she hid under a stool where Sheba couldn't get to her. Dani was wagging her tail and licking the kitten.

Anyway, the end of the story is that Misti (formerly Babe) is still at the vet's as she had to have two baby canines pulled because they didn't fall when the adult ones came out, and we're picking her up tomorrow at 10 a.m. In the mean time, the litter box is set up in the powder room, the food-bowl is on the kitchen counter next to the sink, there's a scratching post by the patio door, and some cat toys hidden from the dogs. We have a bag of the same food she's been used to eating (Hill's P/D) and all that's missing is Misti herself. Can't wait till tomorrow :):cat:

PetFriendly
December 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
How exciting!

Now all you need to do it figure out how to stop the dogs from getting into the litter box to snack on kitty crunchies... ;)

~michelle~
December 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM
:highfive: horray..... glad everything worked out :D

OntarioGreys
December 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Congratulations both on the Dani's cat test and on the forthcoming new arrival :highfive:

Many adoption groups would have failed Sunny on a cat test due to his high prey drive, and after going to my own vets and having him meet cats there I knew it was possible to cat train him, though he did need some work on learn not to chase the cat when it took off running, that was the most critical period, to stop him before he got too excited which then could kick in his prey drive. I kept to cat and dog seperated for the first while unless I had 100% time to supervise and used a spray bottle with water and a firm verbal "no chase" everytime he and the other dogs went after the cat, with in 2 days I no longer needed the squirt bottle though still had to verbally correct, within 2 weeks the cat could run around without one of the dogs having the urge to chase, 4 years later all is still fine and a second cat was added within a month of the first.
Though even to this day I would not go so far as to claim him to be cat safe, I am pretty sure he would try to chase and kill a strange cat if it came into my yard. For the same reason I go outside every time with the dogs when I let them outside since I have a small dog as well, and will not allow him to play chase after Winnie.

SARAH
December 10th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Totally no problem. The first thing Misti did after being shown her own food etc. was to go eat Dani's food and drink her water :) Dani was a little perplexed and had to taste the water afterwards to see if it was still good.

Both Dani and Sheba are ok with Misti (who is an adorable little "effrontee" by the way), and once the news of her has passed they won't even bother too much with her. Right now there's a new "non-dog" in the house and Dani especially seems to wonder how she can play with this animal :)

Lewis, the "I don't like cats" person who said No cats in this house, is totally gaga over Misti and LOVES the purring, lol. Even said "She's sleeping in our bed, right?!" You bethca!

chico2
December 10th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Bellas Keeper,it all sounds great and Lewis is yet another"I hate cats"converted person:thumbs up
I kind of knew that was going to happen,who could possibly hate such a little purrmachine:cat:

SARAH
December 11th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Bellas Keeper,it all sounds great and Lewis is yet another"I hate cats"converted person:thumbs up
I kind of knew that was going to happen,who could possibly hate such a little purrmachine:cat:

Who indeed, and she slept through the night in our bed, just shifting from one position/ place to another as she got too warm, purring herself to sleep again each time.

She obviously knows she's home. Sweet little thing, not scared of the much bigger dogs at all, just looking them in the eye and going on with her business. Plays with a mouse on an elastic that I tied to her scratch-post, been in her litter-box, no accident anywhere; no more caged life for this little girl (unless we have to leave her if we go on vacation).

Dani is gentle with her, but likes to run after her - Misti sneeks off between the couch and the end table and while both dogs wait at that end for her to emerge, she is already at the other end and under the Christmas tree, laughing at them :)

Pics are on the way! Lewis is uploading and should paste them later today. Maybe in a separate post, I don't know. Look for it!

chico2
December 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Can't wait..hurry up Lewis!!

and Michelle,that is a great picture,your orange kitty is absolutely beautiful,as is the doggy:love:

SARAH
December 12th, 2006, 06:52 AM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/atozfitness/Lew%20%20%20Sarah%20Pets/IMGP0777.jpg
Dani and Misti

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/atozfitness/Lew%20%20%20Sarah%20Pets/IMGP0743.jpg
Misti, Sheba and Lewis

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/atozfitness/Lew%20%20%20Sarah%20Pets/IMGP0732.jpg
3 new friends and one couch

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/atozfitness/Lew%20%20%20Sarah%20Pets/IMGP0711.jpg
Misti tasting dog food, Sheba sniffing her (it's her bowl after all!), Dani, and me :)

For more pics, have a look under "Off Topic" chat, Rottielover's thread on Bellasmom and Lewis from Sunday :)

chico2
December 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Misti is a little beauty:love: I am surprised how quickly she accepted the dogs and vice versa:thumbs up

SARAH
December 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Guess it helped that they'd met the day before. Also, we were both calm and let them walk around themselves, no restraining on either part. The animals felt no tension in the air, and relaxed too. Maybe?