Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dirt Roads

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 04:03 AM
DIRT ROADS

What's mainly wrong with society today is that too many Dirt Roads have been paved.

There's not a problem anywhere today, crime, drugs, education, divorce, delinquency that wouldn't be remedied, if we just had more Dirt Roads, because Dirt Roads give character.

People that live at the end of Dirt Roads learn early on that life is a bumpy ride.

That it can jar you right down to your teeth sometimes, but it's worth it, if at the end is home...a loving spouse, happy kids and a dog.

We wouldn't have near the trouble with our educational system if our kids got their exercise walking a Dirt Road with other kids, from whom they learn how to get along.

There was less crime in our streets before they were paved.

Criminals didn't walk two dusty miles to rob or rape, if they knew they'd be welcomed by 5 barking dogs.

And there were no drive by shootings.

Our values were better when our roads were worse!

People did not worship their cars more than their kids, and motorists were more courteous, they didn't tailgate by riding the bumper or the guy in front would choke you with dust & bust your windshield with rocks.

Dirt Roads taught patience.

Dirt Roads were environmentally friendly, you didn't hop in your car for a quart of milk you walked to the barn for your milk.

For your mail, you walked to the mail box.

What if it rained and the Dirt Road got washed out? That was the best part, then you stayed home and had some family time, roasted marshmallows and popped popcorn and pony rode on Daddy's shoulders and learned how to make prettier quilts than anybody.

At the end of Dirt Roads, you soon learned that bad words tasted like soap.

Most paved roads lead to trouble, Dirt Roads more likely lead to a fishing creek or a swimming hole.

At the end of a Dirt Road, the only time we even locked our car was in August, because if we didn't some neighbor would fill it with too much zucchini.

Rick C
December 4th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Criminals didn't walk two dusty miles to rob or rape, if they knew they'd be welcomed by 5 barking dogs.

I am happy to tell you that we live at the dead end of a dusty dirt road, one mile from the highway.

And, in spite of that, we still had our cell phones ripped off from our vehicles earlier in the year!!!

Abby ditch-running along our dirt road early last summer . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/16150013-edit1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

PetFriendly
December 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I am happy to tell you that we live at the dead end of a dusty dirt road, one mile from the highway.

And, in spite of that, we still had our cell phones ripped off from our vehicles earlier in the year!!!

My entire life I lived on a gravel road (complete with washouts in the spring) and never did we have to lock the doors to our house or cars because there just wasn't a need... I'm glad I live in safe neighbourhood now, nothing has ever gone missing form my car, even if I've left the doors unlocked (I'm trying to stop from doing that but its a 25 year old habit not to have to lock your door if you're parked in your driveway.)

Rick C
December 4th, 2006, 11:49 AM
My entire life I lived on a gravel road (complete with washouts in the spring) and never did we have to lock the doors to our house or cars because there just wasn't a need... I'm glad I live in safe neighbourhood now, nothing has ever gone missing form my car, even if I've left the doors unlocked (I'm trying to stop from doing that but its a 25 year old habit not to have to lock your door if you're parked in your driveway.)

To be fair, our phones got ripped off on the same night the normally very good and very Catholic college age kid next door had a party without his parents or family around . . . . very obviously it was one of his guests.

Otherwise, we're also likely to never lock our vehicles although we do lock the house up.

We lock the gate when we leave Abby and Keeper outside while we're gone.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

HunterXHunter
December 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
[I]

Abby ditch-running along our dirt road early last summer . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/16150013-edit1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

What I want to know is: why were your cell phones in the cars :confused: doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a cellular?

Oh, and beautiful picture of Abby in the field btw :thumbs up

technodoll
December 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Rainbow: love, love, LOVE it! thanks for sharing, i have passed it around (and i do miss my dirt road :o )

Rick C
December 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
What I want to know is: why were your cell phones in the cars :confused: doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a cellular?

I almost never take my cell out of the vehicle . . . . I pretty much only use it in the vehicle and almost never carry it around on my person. Carol's the same. Does that make us bad people???!!! :p

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Rainbow: love, love, LOVE it! thanks for sharing, i have passed it around (and i do miss my dirt road :o )

TD, it was so much better when I received it as it has pictures and music. :cloud9:

HunterXHunter
December 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I almost never take my cell out of the vehicle . . . . I pretty much only use it in the vehicle and almost never carry it around on my person. Carol's the same. Does that make us bad people???!!! :p

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Yes, because you shouldn't be talking on the phone while driving ;) :crazy:

Rick C
December 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Yes, because you shouldn't be talking on the phone while driving ;) :crazy:

I have no problem at all talking on the cellphone on prairie country highways that are as straight as the new Alberta Premier . . . .

More dangerous than me by far are the people who pull off to the side of the same country highways to talk on their cells . . . . leaving half their car still on the highway (gully-like ditches and narrow shoulders) in the mistaken belief they're being safer than continuing to drive. Or they suddenly hit the brakes to do the same.

Those are fracking dangerous people!!! :eek: :mad:

My new pet peeve.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

hazelrunpack
December 4th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Love the dirt road sentiment, rainbow! In our immediate area, we have very few paved roads. It really does shape the kind of community we live in.

And Rick C--we also have a cell phone in the car. In our case, it's there for emergencies because if we break down on the gravel roads, traffic is few and far between. We don't use it at home at all--for a very good reason...no cell reception! Up at the corner, at the end of my in-laws' drive, you can sometimes get a signal and there's a 6 x 6 foot patch out in our drive that also sometimes receives signal...but for the most part, we're tied to our land line :D

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Does it count as a dirt road if it's so pot-holey that there's barely any asphalt left and people have to drive at speeds slower than walking? :o ;)

erykah1310
December 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I love my dirt road and would never wish to live in a "paved" area. The washboards slow people down, the mud holes are loads of fun to "hit" with the truck ( not so much with the car :o ) there is wildlife on the roads but folk around here know theyre there so there is yet to be a fatality ( other than toads and so on :( )
I dont even know where the keys to this house are:shrug: sure we've had stuff ripped off, air compressors and chainsaws and stuff like that, but we know who the culprit was:frustrated: just cant prove it.
In the summer there are people horseback riding by my living room window, wolves and coyotes in the feild across the road and so on... its wonderful the way it is.

To love a dirt road is to live on one, if you are just a passer-by, they are horrible to drive down. ( the guy 2 years ago with his Vette... TOTALLY lost, FREAKING because of the dirt in his rims and the fact he bottomed out 40 times down the road :D )

Rick C
December 5th, 2006, 11:25 AM
The ultimate back country dirt road I drove down - a forbidden trip in a rental car - was on the back side of Maui, extending the "Road To Hana" trip . . . . an amazing, deeply rutted road the locals deliberately leave unpaved to keep guys like me out. Fortunately, it was dry that day on the backside of the volcano or I would have been doomed. Its only about five or six miles but the change in terrain from jungle to desert is remarkable.

Also, there is such a thing known locally in northwestern Alberta as "Peace River Gumbo" which, if you've ever been in a road rally on a rainy day in that part of the country, will stick to every orifice of your vehicle, your rubber boots, your blue jeans, your jacket, etc.

I watched two tow trucks trying to pull each other out of opposite sides of the ditch one time while our poor, horribly inadequate Chevette remained mired immobile dead centre in the middle of a rain-drenched gumbo backroad.

Ah, those were the salad days!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jesse's mommy
December 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM
The ultimate back country dirt road I drove down - a forbidden trip in a rental car - was on the back side of Maui, extending the "Road To Hana" trip . . . . an amazing, deeply rutted road the locals deliberately leave unpaved to keep guys like me out. Fortunately, it was dry that day on the backside of the volcano or I would have been doomed. Its only about five or six miles but the change in terrain from jungle to desert is remarkable.

Did you see the car that fell off the cliff and down into the water? They say it's been there for about 15 years and you can still see the top of the car sticking out. It's too steep to try to get it out so they just left it. I think we may have a picture of it somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

hazelrunpack
December 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Does it count as a dirt road if it's so pot-holey that there's barely any asphalt left and people have to drive at speeds slower than walking? :o ;)

That's actually a pretty good description of the one paved town road we do have! LOL

Our gravel roads are in pretty good shape...we're sandy here... Rick, sounds like "Peace River Gumbo" might consist primarily of clay?

Of course, if the roads wash out it makes it difficult, but usually they're not much more than washboardy...

hazelrunpack
December 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Did you see the car that fell off the cliff and down into the water? They say it's been there for about 15 years and you can still see the top of the car sticking out. It's too steep to try to get it out so they just left it. I think we may have a picture of it somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

oy!!!! :eek: I think I'll stick to my level back roads!!!! :cloud9:

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah, that's a little freaky.:eek: