Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

oatmeal raisin & walnut cookies

loveroflabs
December 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Hi
This is the first time ever that I am posting a thread anywhere so if I am not doing it correctly so sorry.
I have a 116 lb chocolate lab that decided to steal 3 or 4 cookies (freshly made) off of the counter. They were oatmeal raisin with walnuts. He has been licking his chops frequently could that be from the walnuts. He is not acting unusual in any other way.
Thanks for the help

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Raisins are known to be toxic to dogs and if I'm not mistaken so are the skins of walnuts. If you do a search you will find a link (or someone who is far more adept at that sort of thing will post the link for you) which lists all foods toxic to or which can make dogs ill.

Recipes can be posted in the "food/ recipes" section. The "health" section is more for well, health problems and advice. Welcome to pets.ca !

OntarioGreys
December 3rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
I recieved and email just this morning as a reminder not to give raisins to dogs, in the email a story about a lab who died as a result of ingesting raisins written by a vet and how things unfolded along with bloodtest results until he passed away, unfortunately I have already deleted the email otherwise would have copied and pasted it here. based on his size he should be okay but any signs of trouble get to a vet right away

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
I have a 116 lb chocolate lab that decided to steal 3 or 4 cookies

eeeeeeeek! :eek: at that weight cookies are the *last* thing he should be eating... to my knowledge the average healthy weight of a male lab is around 70-80lbs TOPS for the big-boned ones. no offense, but has the vet recommended he lose weight?... labs are notorious overeaters and will become obese very quickly if not exercised and on a proper food ration.

rainbow
December 3rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
loveroflabs, both raisins and walnuts are toxic to dogs but because of her size I wouldn't panic. I would, however, call your vet or pet poison control centre for further info and watch her closely for any signs of toxicity. :fingerscr

technodoll, there are english labs and american (field) labs. The english labs are the short stocky ones and wiegh 60-85 lbs. The american (field) labs are the taller long legged ones and weigh 70-120 lbs. ;)

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
rainbow, thank you for the info - ya learn something new every day :o it,s just hard to imagine a lab as big as my akita-boy... people already think he's ginormous, what would such a big lab look like i wonder? :o

TeriM
December 3rd, 2006, 11:43 PM
I'm sure your dog will be fine. My 70 lb. lab has eaten far worse. She once ate 2 pans of choc chip cookies off the counter when we had a family emergency and had to leave the house so quick we forgot to put them away (had a minor upset tummy but was ok). Keep an eye on him but I wouldn't worry to much.

Hunter's_owner
December 4th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Yeah I agree with the others, chances are he should be fine. But I would watch him for signs such as excessive salivation or if the licking continues. Also if he becomes lethargic. If either of those things happen, I would consult a vet, other than that if he remains normal it should be fine.