Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

French Bulldogs, opinions needed please

PetFriendly
December 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
I'm researching dog breeds because I plan on getting a second dog in the spring/summer. Does anyone here know a French bulldog? I think they are cute, and the personality write ups lead me to believe it would be compatible with my small dog and cat... And might be more likely to be successful at agility... Anyone have any thoughts?

Here's what they look like:
http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/FinneganFrenchBulldog.jpg

mafiaprincess
December 3rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
I'm acquainted with a lady who has 3.. She doesn't do dog sports with them though, so I'm not sure of their agility prowess. Only thing I'm aware of is their rather large price tag, and even then after seeing the site for the breeder of one, I think she paid large to a near mill. After seeing one on a recent conformation show on TV, I also realize well bred ones look different too.

Cute as heck, but the price I find dissuading.

PetFriendly
December 4th, 2006, 08:13 AM
After seeing one on a recent conformation show on TV, I also realize well bred ones look different too.

Look different from the one above or the ones the lady owns? Well, they don't take heat very well, so we couldn't run around too much inthe summer, but as far as dog sports go, the dog won't have to be good, just willing to have some fun trying...

Ya, the price is kinda high, but then so is the price for most really well bred dogs. I pretty much have my heart set on a 'smooshed' face dog, and with these breeds I'm either looking at a high purchase price or high vet bills...

mafiaprincess
December 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hers and the one in the picture aren't exactly like any of the winners I've seen. I think it's a bunch of little things that when compiled together make them look different. I always thought this lady's were decent breed standard due to all the brags till I saw Westminster.. Out of curiosity I looked at a bunch of Canadian and American kennels, and their dogs were like the winner.. not like this ladies frenchies. :shrug:

Yes and no on price.. Awesome bred cocker out of some of the best kennels in northa america 800-1000 range.. Frenchies more like 2000-3000 range.

OntarioGreys
December 4th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Price difference with breeds can be due to various factors size of litters, how difficult are the whelpings,(can they be delivered naturally, some have higher numbers of stillbirths) how common is the breed, can you find mates locally or need to look abroad, small gener pools often equAL the greater need for genetic testing as often there are more severe health issues.

with cockers that are a large number of show breeders in the area, so a well established healthy breed population in the area, most of these have been breeding 20 + years and are familiar with each others dogs, making it easy to find mates that are clear of genetic defects and have sound temperaments so not as much testing is needed and the pups have long records of established ch in their pedigrees, my first cocker Wiellas Buddy came with an extensive US and CDN champion pedigree when he was born in 88. his dam lines still producing champions today.

do to the bottom of the page and click on Harleigh's photo and note the name and all the titles ( I know MafiaPrincess would love this boy :D )

Most of these kennels are all within an hours drive within one another

I doubt you would find this many french bulldogs show breeders in such close proximity to one another to help each other with showing/training and breeding

mafiaprincess
December 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Saw those sites last month.. Kept one to contact passed over three for being less than what I was looking for.

Harleigh is mighty cute though.

~michelle~
December 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
i know nothing of them except they are adorable. there are not too many in rescue (47 listed on petfinder) alot of the purebred ones in rescue have some health problems. but goodluck with your search, hope you find a great match to add to your family.

PetFriendly
December 5th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Out of curiosity I looked at a bunch of Canadian and American kennels, and their dogs were like the winner.. not like this ladies frenchies. :shrug:

Yes and no on price.. Awesome bred cocker out of some of the best kennels in northa america 800-1000 range.. Frenchies more like 2000-3000 range.

I was actually looking at the Westminster footage and couldn't really tell the difference, but then I don't really know what I'm looking for either, not in great detail anyway. I'd prefer something past the 'chew everything in sight' phase, so a retired show dog would be ok, but you probably wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to take a pup (provided I can find one of course.)

mafiaprincess
December 5th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I was actually looking at the Westminster footage and couldn't really tell the difference, but then I don't really know what I'm looking for either, not in great detail anyway. I'd prefer soemthing past the 'chew everything in sight' phase, so a retured show dog would be ok, but you probably wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to take a pup (provided I can find out of course.)

ROTFL, now THAT I understand. I'm like hmm I remember what puppyhood was like... Do I want to do that again...

Kristin7
December 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I know practically nothing about this breed, but was watching Martha Stewart last week and she mentioned hers has a problem with gas... They are super cute, though, so good luck in your search!

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM
WOW OG, some of those are really bad. One has litters every 2 months or less. :eek: :sad:

PetFriendly
December 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
WOW OG, some of those are really bad. One has litters every 2 months or less. :eek: :sad:

Did you mean to say every two YEARS or less?

mafiaprincess
December 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Likely meant every few months.. Most of those are pretty hardcore byb, with multiple litters per year.

OntarioGreys
December 5th, 2006, 07:00 PM

Well the one I belive you are discussing is this one
on the litterbox page, a planned breeding has to take place when the dog is in heat, 2 different dams and 2 different sires, the litters about 3 weeks apart, the timing is probably ideal for the breeder has a bit of a break in the show circuit so has time to spend/focus on the puppies and their training, and the pups born would be old enough to start showing in the spring, my guess is they plan to keep a pup or pups for themselves from both litters having pups is a lot of work and a lot of mess, sometimes easier on the schedule to have the litter near the same time rather than spread out thru the year by February most of the pups should be gone to their new homes then they can focus their time and energy preparing the pups they are keeping for the show ring without interruptions of caring for another litter. Also having a couple of puppies together means they wear each other out playing and less likely to be pestering the adult dogs in the household, It also means you don't have to restrict possible guests from you home as long after the pups are weaned to prevent illnesses And most of the pups would be primarily sold to homes planning on showing rather than as pets, so again the timing is ideal for those purchasers, so in ways it does make sense to have the litters together around the same time, if it is the second moms first litter again can be very important in the event the mom has problems with milk production or caring for the pups which could make the difference in whether the pups live or die or to develop good immunity

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Um actually it was a different one and within 6 months they used the same dam again. I'm not going to say which link, because that would make it slander.

Good breeders only breed every few years. Anything more than that makes them a professional byb. Sorry.

PetFriendly
December 7th, 2006, 06:04 AM
I'd be inclined to look at a breeder who breeds two dams close to each other, but breeding the same dam within the same year, I'd probably run the other way...

Too bad I'm looking for a french bulldog, not a cocker...