Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy allergic to other breeds?

Magius
December 3rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
I have two American Cocker Spaniels, Ben is three, and my new puppy, Axle, is almost 9 months old now. Axle and I started Rally-O classes 6 weeks ago, and for the past three weeks he's been vomiting or coughing weirdly for a day or two after classes. The first time I took him into the vet, she thought that it could have been Kennel Cough, but didn't know for sure because I could only get him in for an appointment two days after I noticed the cough. He hasn't coughed since that first time, but has thrown up a clear yellow fluid that's slightly foamy. He's still eating normally and is lively and playfull like always. His nose has been a little dryer than normal, but is still moist, and he's still drinking a good amount of water every day. I doubted the Kennel Cough diagnosis because our other dog Ben hasn't been sick at all. So, I was wondering if Axle could be having an allergic reaction to the other dogs in his class, or even the building?
I'm a little confused because he's a show dog, and has never reacted like this after shows with hundreds of other dogs, and a little concerned because he has yet to recieve his third Parvo booster, the vet wont let us vaccinate him while he's possibly sick.

jessi76
December 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
I've never heard of a dog being allergic to another dog.

Did the vet prescribe any meds for KC? better to be safe than sorry. and just because your other dog hasn't shown signs, doesn't mean he won't. KC can take a little while to show up - or if your other dog has been vaccinated for KC, may not even get it.

I'd say he probably picked up KC from another dog at class. KC vac's are required for boarding but not usually required for any classes.

Magius
December 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Neither of my dogs have been vaccinated for Kennel Cought, it was suggested by the vet that we don't because apparently the vaccine can insite a worce reaction than the actual cough. Axle had his cough three weeks ago, and has been fine since except for the vomiting, but it's only been once a day at most, and only for about two or three days after classes. Axle wasn't given anything for the cough from the vet, because she said it would have been a very mild infection if it was Kennel Cough.

OntarioGreys
December 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Even in the greyhound racing kennels some dogs will get hit with KC and others won't it has to do with one have stronger immunes systems than others. The symptoms do suggest KC as the cause.

Vomiting and coughing would not be symptoms of an enviromental allergy( you might instead see sneezing runny goopy eyes, nose etc,

Food allergies affect the skin and eyes , a food intolerances which is different than an allergys affects the digestive system example gassiness, frothy yellow vomitting, rumbling tummy

rainbow
December 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
What are you feeding him?

OntarioGreys
December 4th, 2006, 09:02 AM
The coughing had me but that could be caused by an upset tummy, are you using a treats at classes that he does not normally get at home or rarely but considerably less of .