Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My New Dog

Ivory&Popi
December 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
My dog, his name is Smokey. He is a miniature poodle and he is one of the Parti poodles. He is just over a year old. Anyone, now that I have introduced him. I having a problem with him.

He will go outside and pee. I take him for a long time and leave him out for 15 minutes and as soon as I bring him back in, he will poop on the floor. Not always, just whenever he has to poop. I have had him like 4 days to a week now and I am not sure what to do. I follow the articles I have read. Like I said above, he is just over a year old and I know he knows better. I just don't know why he is doing this. He isn't neutered, I haven't had time to get him neutered, he will be soon though. I got him from Animal Protection League. Anyway, can someone tell me what I need to do.

I don't crate him, because I look at crating as being cruel.

Let me know someone, please.

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Curious ~ what is a "Parti" Poodle ?

Also, if 15 minutes is all you're giving him for a potty break, then clearly it isn't long enough. How much exercise does he get ? Exercise by my way of thinking is outdoors play with you, walking you, running with you etc.. It's very important that dogs get enough physical movement as this helps moves their bowels. Instead of just letting him out, perhaps you might take a long walk together around the neighbourhood.

jessi76
December 3rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
He will go outside and pee. I take him for a long time and leave him out for 15 minutes and as soon as I bring him back in, he will poop on the floor. Not always, just whenever he has to poop. I have had him like 4 days to a week now and I am not sure what to do. I follow the articles I have read. Like I said above, he is just over a year old and I know he knows better. I just don't know why he is doing this. He isn't neutered, I haven't had time to get him neutered, he will be soon though. I got him from Animal Protection League. Anyway, can someone tell me what I need to do.

I don't crate him, because I look at crating as being cruel.

first, you've only had this dog for less than a week. it will clearly take much longer than that for him to become accustomed to his new home, and the rules.

When you take him out, STAY out until he poops. when he does poop outside, TREAT & PRAISE! If you bring him in before he goes, keep him on a leash inside. this way he can't get far from you, and you can scoop him up and run outside if he starts to squat (to poop). I would treat this dog as a puppy - even though he's a year old. he may not KNOW the rules at all. he may never of been fully housetrained. treat him as though he's a baby, watch him every second or keep him confined to one area if you can't.

why didn't this dog come neutered when you adopted him? Please neuter him as soon as possible. saying "you don't have time" isn't an excuse. It takes very little time to set up an apointment, drop off the dog, and pick him up the next day.

YOU may feel crating is "cruel" because you don't know what it's really about. Read up on the subject, and you'll learn crate-trained dogs can, and most DO, end up LOVING their crate.

btw - I agree w/ the other poster, exercise and taking longer walks will help ALOT!

Hunter's_owner
December 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
I agree with what the others have already posted, but I wanted to emphasize that it will just take a little more patience. You have had the dog less than a week now, so you will have to give it a little more time.

Sometimes you can get your dog on a schedule so you can tell what time he will usually do his poop. So around that time you can bring him outside and wait wait wait until he does it. Then praise him so that he knows that what he just did was a good thing.

And I also wanted to add...please do get him neutered as soon as possible:)

OntarioGreys
December 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Even if you do not want to crate, allowing him too much freedom until he learns the rules of the house will allow him to think certain areas of the house are acceptable area to potty in, which means you will have to restrict him to a smaller room using a babygate when you cannot supervise, the longer he continues to be able to potty all over the house without getting caught the more difficult he will be to housetrain.

And chances are he was never fully housetrained and the reason he ended up in rescue in the first place, the small and toy breeds tend to be more difficult to housetrain and tend to take longer to become reliable small bladder size means many cannot hold long enough so in working households where people are not home for several hours never become housetrained and the main reason many end up in shelters and rescues. If you work fulltime you may have to provide an area that is acceptable for using with a tray of litter or lined with papers or pee pads and train him to use that area.

Curious ~ what is a "Parti" Poodle ?

Parti represents coloring it means he have 2 or more solid areas of color
example of a parti colored poodle

http://www.encore-editions.com/dogs/misc/misc5/thumb/thm_thm_jjackparti-colouredepoodlewithaman'shat.jpg

Ivory&Popi
December 4th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Well thank you for the advice and still won't crate, even after reading about it. I still find it cruel. However I got him on a schedule finally and he hasn't gone inside at all today. So I am hoping that I got him on a schedule now. I have kept him out longer and even though it was only 18 degrees out, I just bundled up and bundled him up and stayed out for as long as it took. I even missed some of my Bears playing. But it was all worth it.

To the person who was asking, a Parti Poodle, is a poodle, who is pure bred, that is multiple colors. In Smokey's case, he is Black and Gray. But there are other colors.

These poodles are a lot more expensive, but not him, I got him from the Animal Protection League and no he wasn't neutered when I got him, but the agreement is, I have to get him neutered. Which I am planning to do, as soon as my college grant refund check gets here. I may see if my mom will pay for it and I just pay her back.

Well thanks for allt he great advice. I really appreciate it. I tried to get advice on Yahoo Chat and all I got were spam IMs wanting me to veiw there stupid web cams.

Anyway, once again, thanks.

mesaana
December 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Glad to hear things are improving :thumbs up

As for Particolored poodles: from the Canadian Kennel Club website:
Particoloured Poodles shall be disqualified. Particoloured is at least two definite colours appearing in clearly defined markings at the skin.
I just checked the AKC and it says the same thing.

But it doesn't matter since he won't be a showdog! Have you posted pics yet? We love pics!

Ivory&Popi
December 5th, 2006, 01:21 AM
This is my male, Popi, who passed away two and a half years ago.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/PhenomsVengence/Dogs%20Pics/popi2.jpg

This is my female, Ivory, who passed away on November 11th of this year.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/PhenomsVengence/Dogs%20Pics/000_0422.jpg

Now this is the new guy, his name is Smokey.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/PhenomsVengence/Dogs%20Pics/PICT0819.jpg

Hope you like them and they work.