Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

gift shopping at the spca

wdawson
December 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
i wonder how many boxing day returns there will be....:sad:
http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1165014635812&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
That's certainly an aboutface and it seems to me a real risk to the animals which are sent out rather than adopted out. I wonder if they will release the number of "returns". Why not just issue gift certificates with a request that it be given early and have the adoptees come in and go through the usual interview process?

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Why not just issue gift certificates with a request that it be given early and have the adoptees come in and go through the usual interview process?

That would be way better ! M3X , you should e-mail your suggestion to them. It's soooo wrong to let people adopt for someone else. How will they know if the animal fits with their new owner ? And the pet gets in his new family in a stressful time ; the holidays, too much people, too much chaos. Bad bad idea.

wdawson
December 3rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
it does say that the gift giver is only paying the adoption fee.....the recipient has to go in to select a pet.....its a personal thing..so they say....i think they should offer a certificate thats good for at least a year , with exchange options , but still require the same criteria as the regular adoption process

MyBirdIsEvil
December 3rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
it does say that the gift giver is only paying the adoption fee.....the recipient has to go in to select a pet.....its a personal thing..so they say....i think they should offer a certificate thats good for at least a year , with exchange options , but still require the same criteria as the regular adoption process

I was under the impression that the organization in that paragraph was seperate from your SPCA, or am I wrong? I'm not from there so I wasn't sure.

Dale Schustyk, vice-president of the Animal Welfare Association of Hamilton, said that organization doesn't allow adoptions before Christmas unless they know the person adopting won't have a lot of people around for the holidays.

Is the Animal Welfare Association the same as the SPCA? I thought it was a different organization saying the SPCAs new policy is a bad idea.

wdawson
December 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
animal welfare is not afiliated with the spca or animal control.......i believe they are a non profit private group..
in ontario.....the spca takes un-wanted pets and tries to find homes and are no kill........animal control will try to find a home in some cases....they are a high kill facility.

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM

WDawson I don't see that here :

"SPCA staffers said they use a program that surveys potential owners and matches them with the right pet. Meet Your Match, which started in Hamilton in October, reduces the number of pets being returned, they said. Anyone adopting a pet as a gift must fill out a survey on behalf of the person receiving the animal. If the SPCA isn't confident the match will work, they will issue a gift certificate for the pet instead. If pets don't work out, people can return them without paying a fee.
... Cons: * Pets could be given as gifts to people who don't want them.
* It can be difficult to find a place for unwanted pets; those who end up at Animal Control are euthanized. * No personal involvement by people who are getting a pet as a gift. ..."

It looks like the gift certificate is only issued if the SPCA doesn't think a match is possible based on the survey information provided by the person buying the "gift". But, if their goal is to empty the shelter at Christmastime, it makes one wonder how many "matches" they will ix-nay.

wdawson
December 3rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
mumumum....your right......the comment was from the animal welfare group....i stand corrected.