Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ceili's Ramp

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
I gave up on finding a used ramp / getting a deal on ebay and bought Ceili a Solvit ramp (telescoping) at Petsmart yesterday. Of course she is scared whitless of it ~ as she is of stairs and any severely uneven surfaces. Strangely though ~ she isn't afraid of the ramp at her therapy pool.

Unfortunately the only place I can put this thing so she can safely get up on the bed is situated in the bedroom doorway, so I can't really jerry-rig sides for the thing. I'm going to see if I can find someway to gradually elevate it and tempt her along it with liver-bits scattered along it's length. Has anyone else had experience with acclimatizing a dog to a ramp ?

TeriM
December 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Can you lay the ramp flat first and just get her to walk back and forth on it until she feels comfy with that and then gradually elevate it?

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the help ! We started off that way with dense couch cushions. I searched around for someway to raise it higher gradually with stability but, really couldn't find anything. Then I thought what do I do with her when she gets to the end ? She still has to be hefted up to the bed, so there's no "reward". Anyway, there seemed to be no further point wasting time scouring about for risers ~ better to dive in the deep end and get it done.

She's been up and down three times now (dawg bless BACON !). She's a little nervous and has to be hauled up the last 1/4 of the way ~ for some reason it's that transition to the bed that has both her and her sister ~ who is generally pretty fearless ~ unnerved. I don't lknow about it's "can hold 300 pounds" claim. Ceili is down to 39.5 Kg and it sags a little.