Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Inconvenient Truth....

Prin
December 3rd, 2006, 01:27 AM
The Al Gore movie (lecture) about global warming... Maybe watching it during a storm that resulted in a long power failure reinforced everything for us, but it really affected us nonetheless.

I liked it. I liked the "facts" backed up with striking images. ("facts" in quotes because I don't know if it's all true, but I'd like to believe it is anyway).

I liked how they had "simple" solutions for people to cut back their emissions, but it made me proud because we already have/do the things they suggest. We have little cars and efficient appliances, for example.

Anyway, not exactly a lazy Sunday movie, but if you want to learn something, well worth the rent.:thumbs up

(oh, the only complaint was the slowness of his speech... Lotsa pauses in the narration parts...:o )

Stacer
December 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
I really loved it too. I didn't really know much about Al Gore going into it, but I came away really liking and respecting him. And you can't help but wonder what kind of place the US would be had he become president.

I went to the theatre and saw it shortly after it opened and the theatre was packed, everyone sat there in silence and hung on every word, and when it was over the crowd gave it a standing ovation. Now that's not something you see everyday in a movie theatre. It felt good to know that so many people feel the same way I do on the issues presented in the film.

I have the DVD on my xmas list.:D

springermom0406
December 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
I don't believe in global warming nor do I respect Al Gore... so that's a movie I'll have to skip.

phoenix
December 3rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
I agree Stacer that's exactly what I was thinking (what if he had been prez?)...

We really liked it too. In fact my DH bought the DVD so that he can show it to the science classes at his school. Well worth watching.

LL1
December 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
I have been meaning to watch it,will have to check it out.

jesse's mommy
December 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
I agree Stacer that's exactly what I was thinking (what if he had been prez?)...

I voted for him.

CyberKitten
December 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I absolutely agree with Mr. Gore and he would have received my vote too, if I had lived in the US. He did win the popular vote and probably should have been President, granted but that has been debated in many other venues. (As Maureen Dowd qipppped in her NYTimes col, quoting Mr. Bush. "I won, Scalia said so."

I dled the movie a few nights ago and it was excellent!! This is a critical issue we must pay attention to.

Stacer
December 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I don't believe in global warming nor do I respect Al Gore... so that's a movie I'll have to skip.

I'm sorry but making a comment like "I don't believe in global warming" is like burying your head in the sand because you can't deal with the truth. Global warming is here and it's not going away anytime soon. It's people like you that make it difficult to make any headway with our environmental problems. You're a republican, no?

meb999
December 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry but making a comment like "I don't believe in global warming" is like burying your head in the sand because you can't deal with the truth. Global warming is here and it's not going away anytime soon. It's people like you that make it difficult to make any headway with our environmental problems.

I agree.....ten years ago global warming was up for debate, but get with the times.

I must admit that I came close to voting for Gore. I have dual citenzenship, and have my american passport. But, in the end I decided it isn't fair to cast a vote for a leader of a country I'll never live in. I wouldn't want americans butting-into our elections, so it wasn't my business to butt into theirs. :shrug:

~michelle~
December 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
before i say anything rude i was just wondering why is it that you dont believe in global warming? theres insermountable proof. maybe you should educate yourself throughly on both ends before making a decision, just because you dont believe something exist doesnt mean you should shut yourself off to it. maybe you should see the movie (or something simular) i believe something i think you should be able to see both sides.

springermom0406
December 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I'm not going to watch a movie that is propoganda by a man that is whacked... no thanks.

There are many scientists that say there is no global warming. You won't hear this on the news, in America anyway. Most of the news here is completely biased.

The earth goes through many changes and cycles. There's nothing we're going to do that's going stop that or change that. My great uncle has been on this earth 98 years.He said the same warm weather you are seeing now in December, all the hurricanes, etc. it was the same way about 60 years ago.

It's been 60 degrees here in NY for the last month... this time last year we had a foot of snow. Global warming? I think not. Sorry, I don't buy it.

I'm sure we caused the ice age too? And the floods during Noahs Ark? Come on.

http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/INGLES/Warm.html
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/articles/2005/jan_10_05.htm
http://www.repamerica.org/news/GEvol5/ge5.1_globalwarming.html
http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8177
http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=17190

~michelle~
December 4th, 2006, 07:10 PM
so youll believe in noah's ark, but not a giant hole in the ozone? by all means if you dont want to believe in the whole global warming thing thats fine but are you denying that the amount of pollution we create isnt harming the envronment? 60 years ago they would have "freak" days of warm weather but there were not number of smog advisories that there are today. you dont believe that the severe deficit of trees and natural woodland doesnt effect the quality of air?
sure the news is bias, you cant get the full story all the time, but not everything is a conspirasy theory

hazelrunpack
December 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I agree.....ten years ago global warming was up for debate, but get with the times.

I must admit that I came close to voting for Gore. I have dual citenzenship, and have my american passport. But, in the end I decided it isn't fair to cast a vote for a leader of a country I'll never live in. I wouldn't want americans butting-into our elections, so it wasn't my business to butt into theirs. :shrug:

The globe is warming, but what is still up for debate is how much of it is due to natural fluctuations and how much of it is due to human influence. Certainly, cutting back on emissions will help slow down the rate of warming, but evidence points to the fact that the climate is on a warming trend and eventually, emissions or no, we'll have to cope with the consequences. Geologically, we're due for a warm period...and as long as the world population continues to grow and nations industrialize, the emissions problem will remain a problem. So regardless of human efforts, I suspect from the data I've seen, that we can do little except mitigate an eventual rise in temp. And I'm beginning to think that we should be focusing more on what we'll do in response to the inevitable effects...

And, if you'll allow me a bit of a thread-jack here...I'd like to make one last statement... Marie-Eve, I want to thank you for your second paragraph here. I've been on this site for less than a couple of months, so perhaps I just haven't been here long enough to have seen it--but I've yet to see an American make a nasty stab at the Canadian form of government or at a Canadian politician. I have seen plenty of jabs at the American government and plenty of uses of the word "Republican" as a high insult. I don't reply because I've been told 'hot' discussions will get threads closed, and political discussions almost inevitably get 'hot'. So I try not to fan the flames.

However, it is hard to see your beliefs and your form of government take hits from people who are not fellow-citizens and obviously misunderstand why the American form of government developed as it did. Remember that Canada and the US split at the Revolution because of fundamental political differences in the two populations. Our nations went different ways. And I don't mind discussing the differences. But I am getting a little tired of the constant jabs that show up here and there... Maybe they're meant to be funny, but they're only funny to those who agree and distracting and/or hurtful to those who don't but don't but value their welcome on this forum.

I don't think Americans and Canadians are that different. I'd hate to see our two nations on the outs. Nor do I want to be driven away from this forum by politics. So if the topic does not call for a political statement, perhaps a little restraint is in order, and one should not be made :shrug:

If you think Republicans should be excluded from the forum, so be it. Let me know and I'll leave, but it will be with regret...

End of thread-jack

meb999
December 4th, 2006, 07:19 PM
awww, but Hazel...if you leave, who'll summarize the TJT??? :D

I DO agree that Canada and the States have alot in common, and alot of differences too. And I don't think the OP had anything to with politics, just golbal warming....so if we want to keep this thread open, we should stay away from Republican/Democratic debate. Nothing is black or white, especially in politics.

Stacer
December 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I won't deny that the earth goes through warming and cooling trends, but trends are only exacerbated by industrialized countries inability to control their use of fossil fuels and non-renewable resources and the ever increasing population. We are slaves to the car and all that goes with it. We are slaves to conveniences big and small, to get those conveniences we have huge factories spewing crap into the atmosphere, creating holes and thinning the ozone allowing the sun to penetrate and trap heat and greenhouse gases between the surface of the earth and the ozone layer. It's inevitable that this would turn political, being as the right is always in denial of enviromental issues, while the left is constantly trying to convince the right to SIGN THE DAMN KYOTO PROTOCOL.

As far as the politicking goes, average Canadians as a whole watch more American TV than Americans watch Canadian TV (if they watch any Canadian TV at all). We watch CNN, Fox News, NBC, ABC, CBS, as well as a plethora of other news channels being piped up here. We are inundated with American news and politics on a daily basis (which we can watch by choice, and many of us choose to do so, being that Americans are our closest neighbours). So I think that when it comes to making comments about American politics we are far more informed about what is going on south of the border than Americans are about what's going on north of their border. If an American wants to comment about Canadian goings on, I welcome it, it would be refreshing to see an outsider's perspective on Canadian politics and policy. We don't necessarily have to agree on anything, but if we're all informed why not have a healthy debate?

CyberKitten
December 4th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I don't have time for as huge debate - not feeling up to par - suffice to say that the scientists (and I am a scientist and know how academia works) who say there is no global warming et al do studies funded by very dubious sources, vast majority nor even peer reviewed, very bad science actually. I've read many of them but the more credible scientists do indeed stress that global warming is a disaster waiting to happen. Worse than nuclear war - and that scares me!!

But I do think we can do something about it.

My ideas are not formed by AL Gore or a movie. I have read almost everything on the subject, anti, pro, allegedly neutral. Sorry to say, it is an issue we have to deal with. His film is good but it does not cover all of it either, but he does explain some of the concepts very well. He is not pretending to say these are his ideas. He is presenting what the people who actually have done the peer reviewed acceptable scientific work on the subject. The other ones are almost all - - if you check to see who funded them or how they did their studies - by the same groups and sources, very often the oil industry. (Not ti suggest I even have anything against the oil industry - my father is an industrialist and involved with oil and even he is concerned as are many leading CEO's oil companies and other resource based industry. We need to find sustainable ways to industry to continue to help us continue our way of life - well, we do have to make some adjustments - but we also need to be very aware of this threat we are facing.

I don't care about the anecdotal stuff or even Al Gore's views. I do listen to what someone who has done good science says. I do not give much credence to anyone with vested interests whose study method is not shared or peer reviewed. That would be like me as an oncologist accepting some quack remedy when I know what medical science says.

Anyway - such is my attempt at brevity.

Prin
December 4th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Ok, you bastids.:D I saw this thread earlier today, and I freaked out. So I slept about 3 hours and now I'm here to fix what I broke.lol

Hazel's never allowed to leave. Hazel ROCKS! :D

Ok, back to the other thing...

Regardless of who won the election, IMO, nothing would be done still. Things might be different, but I'm not sure how dramatically. This is, afterall, a bureaucracy, right?

Second, this was just about global warming, not really politics. :D

Third, I was a skeptic too. I thought, well, the govt probably wants us to believe in global warming and believe it's our fault, when it's really a cyclical, natural thing, just because they want to make us change our habits so big business can up their bad habits...

But this movie is all about changing your mind. Everything I was skeptical on, including the scientists proving it's cyclical, and the whole natural thing- everything- was just blown away by this movie. He'd say something, and I'd say "yeah but" and he'd reply "now the skeptics are saying, "yeah but" and let's explore that too". It was really, REALLY well made. Sure some might be brainwashing, but you can't make some of that stuff up.

As for it being snowy and whatnot so global warming is bull- part of global warming is extreme weather conditions. This summer we had the first tornado warning in Montreal that we have ever had (in my lifetime). The weather is getting progressively worse all over. And yes, there is warming. If you average out the temps of the world, we're going up fast. 2005 was the hottest year on record. EVER.

Just PLEASE have an open mind and see this movie. There's no harm in seeing it. If you see it and don't believe it, so be it. But at least TRY to see the other side.:o

Prin
December 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Oh and if we have the power to stop killing the ozone layer, I'm SURE we have the power to help out the Earth.;)

springermom0406
December 5th, 2006, 12:06 AM
That's the thing Prin ~ while you think the weather is changing drastically, you don't know that the tornados weren't there say in the 1800's or earlier. Before records were kept of that. Earth changes and goes through cycles, the continents move.. of course the earth is going to warm and cool and change. There are some years we go through lots of hurricanes and other years its calm. There are some years here in NY we have extremely mild winters with no snow and warmer temps.. and other years where we get over 6 months of nonstop snow and cold. Its just the way it is and has always been. IMO.

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM
You're not looking at the big picture, IMO. You really think there is equal drought, flooding, famine, and weather to 10 years ago? We're just going with the flow? I remember weather from when I was young that we just don't get anymore.

Remember how "el nino" was supposed to change the weather for a year? IMO, we've never stopped "el nino-ing".

gomez
December 5th, 2006, 12:27 AM
You're not looking at the big picture, IMO. You really think there is equal drought, flooding, famine, and weather to 10 years ago? We're just going with the flow? I remember weather from when I was young that we just don't get anymore.

Absolutely! if you lok at records going back, there are equal if not less, major weather disturbances... difference is, that 30, 20 or even 10 years ago you did not have the media screaming

"BLIZZARD 2006 ! ! ! "

"HURRICANE 2005! ! !"

"Stay tuned for more details on how this (insert weather tragedy here) will affect your commute/day/life/death"

Now we have any kind of weather "event" and the networks decide to give it 2/7 coverage, why? It makes interesting news, and it keep you watching for updates...

Has anyone read Chricton's "State of Fear"? It is fiction, yes it is, but many of the data checks out, and it's from reasonable sources...

~michelle~
December 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM
ok the earth goes through cycles, and we may have not been recording pre 1800's weather, however, in the 1800s there was 1000X's more woodland, there were no cars, fewer pollutants, fewer synthetic products. You CANNOT deny that we are causing a huge negetive impact on the environment. you can try to say there is no so called "global warming" ( I truly believe there is)but you cant deny there is an environmental crisis. call it what you will.

springermom0406
December 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM
No I don't believe in a crisis either. Sure we pollute it, but so did they years ago. They didn't have cars but they put their garbage on the streets, in the water, wherever... including feces, urine, and whatever else. Lets not forget all the factories during the Industrial Revolution. Earth was fine after that.

We can do all we want to ruin and save the Earth. Fact is, she can errupt a giant volcano that would make the temperature go down. Or a meteor could hit that would do the same.

Blathach
December 5th, 2006, 08:18 AM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed. Political debates do not belong in the movie forum.