Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Member with a Chi/Terrier

fayths27
December 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Hi All,

I posted a little while ago in the training section - and just to let you know, I finally got little Hugo a week ago.

He's a rescue and there's not much to be known about his history. He's either 3 or 8 years (I know - HUGE GAP!) but both I and his foster mom are leaning more towards 3 years old.

He's a sweet little guy, but has some bad habits. I'm currently looking into some obedience training (maybe more for me than for him - I read some websites and apparently from the behaviour he's demonstrating, he's already the alpha male of the home). I'm a little concerned. Actually, I'm a whole heck of a lot concerned!:confused: If anyone can recommend a trainer in the area - that would be great! I've sent out emails to Ottawa Canine School as well as Bark Busters for more information.

I look forward to chatting with you all in the future!

Kind regards,

Faye

chico2
December 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Faye,he certainly is adorable and I hope he learns how to behave:fingerscr
The Forum is a little quiet in the weekends,but I am sure you'll get some pointers soon:dog:

BusterBoo
December 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
I am taking my puppy (age 7 months) to a trainer in Ottawa...I don't think I am allowed to publicize a particular trainer on any forum, so I will PM you with all the particulars.

The trainer I am dealing with handles dogs of all ages...Buster is the youngest and I think the oldest in the class (of 5 dogs) is 4 yrs old.

I will pm you all the information...

btw.....congratulations on getting Hugo!!! :crazy:

Tommysmom
December 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
What an adorable pup! I don't have anything to help you out, as I'm nowhere near you, but I just wanted to tell you how cute Hugo is!:)

fayths27
December 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
:D Thank you so much for the warm welcome. He certainly is a cute little monkey. Thanks for the info on the trainers.

Kind regards,
F.

LibbyP
December 3rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
Hi and Welcome Fayths27, I saw this little cutie on the Chi rescue site, :highfive: to you for adopting him. Like chico2 said the forum is quiet on the weekends sometimes but there are a ton of members with lots of knowledge on how to establish 'top dog' of the house. Wishing you both all the best and a happy successful furever home :fingerscr

TeriM
December 3rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Congrats on the new dog. Unfortunately a lot of little dogs have big attitudes! The "nothing in life is free" system is a good first step to establishing yourself as the pack leader. This means that he gets nothing without doing something ie .. sit before going outside, sit for a cookie, wait for his dinner etc., you go through the doors first and if he is showing real attitude make sure he isn't sleeping on the bed or the couch with you. The alpha dog (you) should always eat first and have the best sleeping spots. Once he accepts you as the pack leader then you can invite him to sleep/cuddle with you on your terms.

fayths27
December 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the tips!!! This week I've been doing the whole going through doorway first thing. I'm hoping it's communicating the message properly. He wins me over with his big soulful eyes. Little monkey. He's been here a week and a half, and some days he's in fantastic form and other days he seems a little sad. I guess it takes a little while for adjustement eh?