Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Mileva Fell, Hurt Her Leg

brandynva
December 2nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
We let Mileva out, our GSD yesterday morning to do her business and she was fine. She came in limping and not putting any weight on her back right leg. Palpatating the leg indicated no breaks and she didn't whimper or pull away, so we thought she might've slipped and taken a hard fall. Overnight she whimpered, and this morning it appears like the muscles in her leg are spasming. So, hubby just took her to the vet. :sad: She is so pitiful, pinning her ears down, tucking her tail, not eating or drinking or hardly moving. Keep our girl in your thoughts. She's so sweet. I'll post an update when he gets back this afternoon. I wanted to go, but have an appt to have the kids pictures done. Thanks!

Hunter's_owner
December 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
Oh no....sorry to hear about Mileva:(

Hope it is nothing serious....I am sending positive thoughts your way:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
December 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Four hands of :fingerscr and 24 crossed :pawprint: s, sending good wishes for Mileva. With luck, it's just a sprain :fingerscr For sure keep us posted, brandy! When will Mileva be back from the vet?

Frenchy
December 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Sooooo , any news ? :fingerscr :pray:

brandynva
December 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Sorry guys! It's been a crazy day!

Hubby took my baby to the vet and they did x-rays. No breaks or fractures! :D No obvious swelling or anything out of joint. Basically the vet says she might've torn a tendon and it will take time to heal. The vet gave her a shot of pain meds and sent her home with some for the next 5 days. Told us to keep her on leash and let it rest. Pshew! Funny thing is, we take her out and she just stands in the yard looking beat up. She's been cuddled up on the couch for the last 3 hours with her snout tucked between her paws. So cute and pitiful! Anyway, thanks for the good wishes and I'm so glad it's not more serious! :love:

Frenchy
December 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Great news, your girl just needs to rest. (btw,maybe she is looking pitiful to get more attention ..... good girl ! :p )

brandynva
December 2nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
Great news, your girl just needs to rest. (btw,maybe she is looking pitiful to get more attention ..... good girl ! :p )

I'm sure you are right. She will eat if we bring it to her. I think she feels off balance to eat normally. She also stands and looks at the couch and whines waiting for someone to put her up there. She is right pitiful though and breaking my heart. She is normally rambunctious and alert and loving and tonight she has her ears pinned back, tail tucked and head down with wide eyes. At least she got a clean bill of health from the vet and it's nothing broken etc... I think we are going to give her a pill now. I'm so heartbroken. :sad:

technodoll
December 2nd, 2006, 08:39 PM
:grouphug: hugs to the sweet patient! i know it's heartbreaking to see them in pain and out of sorts, even if you did all you could. Let nature take its healing hands to that leg, lots of rest and TLC will finish the cure! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
brandy, you gotta cheer up! You'll depress her! No....really!
Try sounding confident and upbeat that she's going to heal fast. If she needs a boost up to the couch, that's okay--she's probably sore. But to keep your own good frame of mind, while you're doing it tell her she'll be gettin' better quick and shouldn't get used to the help. Give her sympathy, but don't get maudlin about it. Honestly, she'll be happier. It's hard, I know...but it really seems to keep them more cheerful when they've been hurt or after surgery.

Dogs read our body language and listen to our voices and they get a very accurate picture of what we're feeling. Not only did they seem sadder when I did the extreme sympathy routine, but afterward, they tended to take advantage of my good nature (such as it was...it's gone now :D ). Took me a while to figure out I was contributing to my own training--the dogs can read me like a book and for a while, they were getting me to do more than I should (weeelllll....okay...they still have me wrapped around their paws...) just by flashing those baby browns at me... :o

So don't be heartbroken--she's got an owie, but she's gotten a good report from the vet and if you give her a reason to be upbeat, she'll be sneaking up on the couch by herself in a few days. Then the problem will be getting her to keep quiet so she can heal! :p

brandynva
December 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
brandy, you gotta cheer up! You'll depress her! No....really!

Not only did they seem sadder when I did the extreme sympathy routine, but afterward, they tended to take advantage of my good nature (such as it was...it's gone now :D ). Took me a while to figure out I was contributing to my own training--the dogs can read me like a book and for a while, they were getting me to do more than I should (weeelllll....okay...they still have me wrapped around their paws...) just by flashing those baby browns at me... :o

So don't be heartbroken--she's got an owie, but she's gotten a good report from the vet and if you give her a reason to be upbeat, she'll be sneaking up on the couch by herself in a few days. Then the problem will be getting her to keep quiet so she can heal! :p

Thanks HRP. I have been trying not to coddle her when she whines or whimpers because I don't want her learning that if she whines she gets attention. Baaaad habit to start! I appreciate the encouragement. This is our first major "owie" so it's easy to overreact. But I will take your advice and try and use my upbeat happy voice when talking to her. She seems a lot more calm now that she's had her pain meds. They gave her Duramaxx I think it's called. Anyway, I appreciate all the support you guys give and don't want to be a whiny baby myself! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Yep...Deramaxx actually seems to make them a bit sleepy. :cloud9: Occasionally, Cole needs a dose or two for his elbows (mild dysplasia and he aches if he really overdoes it...like when he and Lil Belle decide to play really hard in the yard :frustrated: ).

Make sure she takes it on a full stomach, though--poor Cole doesn't tolerate it too well--after a few days on it he sometimes throws up... It also makes him feel too good sometimes--he'll be out and about trying to mix it up with Lil Belle again the next day! :eek: So we have to separate the munchkins for a few days till his elbows have a chance to recover.

TeriM
December 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Awww, poor Mileva. I'm glad to hear it's nothing serious. She will probably be much better tomorrow. Mine always seem worst the first day (and milk it) and then get better quite quickly.

brandynva
December 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
Yep...Deramaxx actually seems to make them a bit sleepy. :cloud9: Occasionally, Cole needs a dose or two for his elbows (mild dysplasia and he aches if he really overdoes it...like when he and Lil Belle decide to play really hard in the yard :frustrated: ).

Make sure she takes it on a full stomach, though--poor Cole doesn't tolerate it too well--after a few days on it he sometimes throws up... It also makes him feel too good sometimes--he'll be out and about trying to mix it up with Lil Belle again the next day! :eek: So we have to separate the munchkins for a few days till his elbows have a chance to recover.

Thanks for the tip hazel, she had just eaten a little and had some water, so hopefully she'll do ok. She's not very food driven, so it doesn't take much to make her go off her feed. Anyway, we are all off to bed. Hopefully she'll have a peaceful night!

Teri -- thanks, and I hope she's better tomorrow too! Although, it HAS been quiet with no doggy tussling tonight. lol I have been trying to keep the other two away from her. They've been really sympathetic and Sasha has been babying her a bit, which is cute. Ok, I'm outta here. Byye!

Prin
December 2nd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Poor doggy! I hope she's better tomorrow too.:) :fingerscr

rainbow
December 3rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
How is Mileva? :fingerscr :fingerscr

brandynva
December 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
How is Mileva? :fingerscr :fingerscr

Well, she was doing better, but she's back to not using that leg at all again. She's a little more perky, but not herself yet. How long does it take to recover from a sprain, or pulled muscle? I've never had this happen before. She's quite sad looking hopping around on three legs and she doesn't manuever the stairs really well. We are trying to encourage her to exercise it, but she just won't use it. Any ideas would be appreciated!

TeriM
December 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Awww, poor Mileva. Is there any swelling or sore spots? You might want to consider massaging it with some very gentle stretches because it is probably pretty tight. If she lets you I would even try a warming pack on it.

hazelrunpack
December 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM
If it's damage to a tendon or ligament it could take quite a while to heal. Encourage her to use it but don't force her to. Stairs are probably not a good idea for a while unless your vet has okayed them?

If you think she's not getting any better in the next few days, you might want to call the vet and ask if she should be seen again. Sprains around here usually start improving within a couple of days of limiting activity, but we've never had a really severe sprain... :fingerscr hope I haven't just jinxed us!

I hope she's better soon! The Pack sends smoochies!

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear about Mileva. Is the vet sure it's not a cruciate knee ligament injury?

brandynva
December 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Hi Teri -- No sore spots or swelling at all, even the day she did it! I will try the exercises. I'm sure it gets tight. I will try the heating thing. Would you think a heating pad on low would be too hot?

Hazel -- I will wait a couple more days. It seems like she gets around better after using it a bit, but her demeanor is not her normal self. I guess I'm just a worried mommy. :(

brandynva
December 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Sorry to hear about Mileva. Is the vet sure it's not a cruciate knee ligament injury?

I don't know. I didn't go with hubby, but our vet tends to be very thorough and it seems like she checked her out really good. I'm not sure what that even is. Are there signs to look out for?

TeriM
December 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I use a warm up bag (like rice bag) with Lucy because it gives a moist heat. I think a heating pad would be ok, maybe put a towel on first just for added protection.

TeriM
December 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Also, don't leave on to long. Just like with humans, maybe 10-20 min with it on andthen off for a while then can go back on.

brandynva
December 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks Teri, I will try that! I appreciate all the advice! :thumbs up

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I don't know. I didn't go with hubby, but our vet tends to be very thorough and it seems like she checked her out really good. I'm not sure what that even is. Are there signs to look out for?

I don't know a whole lot about it either but that's what my 16 1/2 month old lab was just diagnosed with. :sad:

http://www.westlakeanimalhospital.com/Encyclopedia/Acral_Lick/Addison_s_Disease/Adrenal_Gland_Disease__Ferrets/Anal_Sac_Disease__Canine/cruciate_ligament_rupture__can.html

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/cruciatelrt.htm#

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Good luck! I hope she gets better soon.:fingerscr

brandynva
December 5th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Good news! This morning she is mostly walking on it! She is still limping a bit, but at least is putting weight on it! woo hoo! She is also acting more normally, playing with the other two doggies. Let's pray this continues! Thanks everyone, and Prin, so glad to see you back!!

Frenchy
December 5th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Yipeee Mileva ! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 5th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Good news! This morning she is mostly walking on it! She is still limping a bit, but at least is putting weight on it! woo hoo! She is also acting more normally, playing with the other two doggies. Let's pray this continues! Thanks everyone, and Prin, so glad to see you back!!

Yay!!!!! (Just don't let her get too wild on it. Sprains and strains are prone to reinjury for a few weeks.)

I'm so happy to hear that she's getting back to normal! And that mommy survived, too! :thumbs up Good job, brandy!

TeriM
December 6th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Glad to hear she is feeling better :thumbs up .

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 01:52 AM

Yey! Great news!

And thanks... Can't keep me away long.:o :D

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Good to hear that Mileva is feeling better:thumbs up