Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Angel unexpectedly had 2 pups!!

debolm
December 2nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Last evening my shihtzu Angel delivered 2 pups quite fine. Last week the vet couldn't tell me if she was bred??? I'm switching vets. We thought she might have been bred when she was stolen but weren't sure of due date. She is a great first time Momma. She doesn't want to eat her dog food( we were spoiling her a bit when she came home). Is it alright to make my own dog food? I was thinking of poultry, rice and some vegs. to give her. I know nutrition is important right now. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Inverness
December 2nd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Last evening my shihtzu Angel delivered 2 pups quite fine. Last week the vet couldn't tell me if she was bred??? I'm switching vets. We thought she might have been bred when she was stolen but weren't sure of due date. She is a great first time Momma. She doesn't want to eat her dog food( we were spoiling her a bit when she came home). Is it alright to make my own dog food? I was thinking of poultry, rice and some vegs. to give her. I know nutrition is important right now. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

How do you know she's fine ? Have you seen both placentas ? Are you sure she doesn't have anymore pups inside ? She should be taken to the vet for an urgent check-up. :shrug:

jesse's mommy
December 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
I'm glad your baby is safe. I'm sure someone will pop on here soon to give you some advice. I'm not sure of this, but I think you may want to feed your dog puppy food because the puppies will be taking all of her nutrients while they are nursing. Don't quote me on this, but I know nursing puppies take everything from momma. Good luck.

Hunter's_owner
December 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
I agree with the others...

She really should be eating something right now. Feeding her pups will use a lot of energy and she will require more nutrients. If she isn't eating it will harm both her and her pups.

Also, I think you should have a vet see her, just to make sure that the birth went okay. It is always better to be safe than sorry:shrug:

boskat
December 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Hi ,just to let you know that I usually found that when pups are delivered if all not ok mom wouldnt want food but we were advised by our vet that if mom was eating and settled it was not necessary to go for check. He said a vets office was last place new pups and newly delivered mom needed to be and some routinely give oxytocin to make sure all expelled but he said it can also make them very excitable and not necessary in straight forward whelping,just keep a close eye on her and I.m sure you will notice if all not well. The need for more food is not necessary with newly born pups as they are only small(unless a big litter) 2 should not present a problem. Do make sure Angel drinks plenty though as this is important when she has to produce milk. You will not need to increase her food greatly but increase gradually as pups grow in size and their demand for food becomes greater I aalways find that when mom is usually delivered she is very reluctant to leave them even for toilet so I feed them in the whelping box especially first couple of days and even hand feed to help her. A very well known breeder and respected breeder taught me this way and I was surprised how much food they gobble down this way. Relax and enjoy your babes it can be a very special time:highfive:

Angies Man
December 2nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
I'm glad your baby is safe. I'm sure someone will pop on here soon to give you some advice. I'm not sure of this, but I think you may want to feed your dog puppy food because the puppies will be taking all of her nutrients while they are nursing. Don't quote me on this, but I know nursing puppies take everything from momma. Good luck.

Mix her dog food with reconstituted (lowfat dried milk and water) milk and some canola oil (for calories.) She needs extra protein and fats (hence the addition of the vegetable oil.) A couple of eggs a day would be good, too.

debolm
December 2nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
I did phone vet post delivery. They said not necessary when I asked if she needed to come in. I live in a very rural community and he's the only vet and he's 40 miles away. The next vet is 90 miles away and I was very willing to take her but there was a severe winter storm with ice and snow and most of our trek would've been through provincial park. Her lochia is minimal and not bright red ( as would be if she retained placenta). You both gave me great advice on feeding. I realize puppy food is best but if she refuses it , I wasn't sure if I should hold out. I am more concerned about her getting nutrients and wasn't about to feed her junk. You are so right about her not wanting to leave to even to bathroom and my husband thinks I'm nuts to hand feed her, but she is so into mothering these babes that she doesn't even want to move a foot away to eat. I'm keeping close eye on evertone and would not hestiate vet when needed. I have heard vet office not good for wee pups too. Thanks again, much apreciated:p

boskat
December 3rd, 2006, 03:28 AM
You wont have to hand feed her for long just first few days its just that the mothering instinct is so strong that it over rides everything else and she will put her babes first,I used to always put the water bowl handy as well. I think the first three weeks are great its fantastic to watch mom and pups and she will usually do every thing for them,enjoy this as when you start weaning them its you who are cleaning up after them!!lol Over the weeks she will gradually be your Angel again and wont spend as much time with them

badger
December 3rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
What an amazing ending!
Please can we have some pictures?
Do they look like the mother? (well, not yet, but you get my drift).

rainbow
December 5th, 2006, 01:08 AM
How are Angel and her babies doing? :fingerscr

debolm
March 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Angel's 2 pups both got awesome homes. We kept them and provided first shots then I started the heartbreaking process of finding homes. I gave them away so I could pick who I wanted to have them. The little girl went just 4 doors down and we see her about 1x a week. She seems to still remember us. They are healthy and thriving.

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I'm glad they're ok and have great homes. Good for you! :highfive:

rainbow
March 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'm happy to hear you found good homes for them and it's great that you still get to see one of them. :)