Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog has not eaten in two weeks!

lindseyf23
December 1st, 2006, 07:45 PM
i have a 2 yr old mut, that is part german shephard and something else. according to the vet when he was found he was a cpl mths old, so he is about 2 yrs old now.
about 2 weeks ago he stopped eating his food, i took him to the vet last week, they ran some tests, everything looked fine
the vet gave him something just in case it was worms and told me to give him yogurt to coat his stomach, i gave him icecream b/c thats all he would touch
he has eaten a little turkey but just gettin really skinny
the vet said he may have hip dysplasia, buti cannot see why he wouldn't eat
i am afraid it is something worse like cancer b/c of how he is acting
i believe he threwup the worm medicine not sure, but i'm very worried he is weaker and skinnier everyday and the vet is not sure why he is not eating
are there any other illnesses i should be aware of and ask my vet about that he may be overlooking that you guys are aware of?
i will be taking him back monday if this continues over the weekend
please any help would be great
thank you

wdawson
December 1st, 2006, 07:57 PM
time for a new vet........fast

Tommysmom
December 1st, 2006, 07:59 PM
I don't know if this helps, because we have not yet really found the answer, but my puppy stopped eating too. No reason we could find, just stopped. He looked fine at first, full checkup showed nothing but a healthy puppy who wouldn't eat. The vet thought it was his liver, but while his blood tests showed some abnormalities, none of them were really major other than what you might expect from a while without eating. He put him on Amoxil because we also thought he might have a urinary infection (which he ended up not having) and then suddenly, about 2.5 days after starting the antibiotic, he started eating again. So far, he's been eating decently for a few days now. We figure he must have had a stomach infection of some sort, even though it wasn't showing in any tests, but it's done the trick and he's even begging for food now which he's never done before!

Good luck with your dog... I've spent the last 2 weeks going through this with my puppy, I know exactly how awful it feels to watch them get thin and ill... we'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you:fingerscr

technodoll
December 1st, 2006, 08:22 PM
poor doggy.... :grouphug: what were you feeding your boy, and what have you tried offering lately?... i agree, you need to find another vet ASAP, this one doesn't sound too reassuring... who gives worming meds without a faecal test?

lindseyf23
December 1st, 2006, 08:32 PM
the meds were for possible heartworms, he hasnt done a feacal test or x rays, i just dont think this has anything to do w/ hip dysplasia

it's expensive to go pay another 300 bucks to another vet to do the same thing and so i thought if it doesnt get better just go back
he is our family vet and has always seemed very good so i'm gonna hang tight see what happens then we'll see next week i just wasnt sure if yall knew any other illnesses that could cause this or if it had to do w/ dysplasia

mafiaprincess
December 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
A single dose of meds doesn't do anything for heartworm unless it's your monthly preventative your dog should have already been taking since you got it.

Just because you've used a vet for years doesn't mean that person is always the best choice. It sounds like you need a second opinion.

wdawson
December 1st, 2006, 09:34 PM
waiting till next week may be too late......seek emergency vet help now......tell the emergency vet what tests have been done and the results and try different tests, this is a very serious situation.

Blathach
December 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM
Please take your dog to an emergency vet and post back with and update.